Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #31
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
I totally agree with jharker, his idea I can live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
My thinking is that we'll eventually create a detailed configuration utility, with two shortcut buttons: iLiad Classic, and All Features. Users can select one to start with and then customize from there.
It is an idea which may be developed on. I think that one can make as an advanced configuration and a few fixed settings.

Sincerely, vblars
vblars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #32
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
I really love jharker proposal.

Some proposed modifications to the proposal :
- A setting to disable all long presses (for me they are more an inconvenient than an advantage, as they fail too much)
- Put the landscape/portrait mode selection in the system menu (it's a system thing if we do it using xrandr; right now its the viewer that makes the rotation but that is not reasonable -- apps would not be capable of being rotated the way it is now)

Also, I attach a mock up of a possibility of having a one-line toolbar (in the case of showing the pagebar, the "iliad pagebar" would be in the position of the icons -- I've not drawn that in the examples... I was frustrated because of having to draw with the mouse instead of a pen; hope this is enough ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad-toolbars-example.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	17274  

Last edited by Antartica; 10-24-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: To appease lisp fans (there was a missing parenthesis)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #33
harpum
Enthusiast
harpum began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 51v/LG chocolate
About TOC(Table of Contents) and a different numbering?

Bookmark function might include TOC information which is included in PDF file. But I just want to make a sure whether bookmark here is a new function which did not change bookmarks in pdf,or not.
And iliad uses an absolute numbering system. But in some pdf file, they use a little complicated renumbering system. For example, some pdf use i,ii,iii... in the begining to keep the same page number with the original book and later they use usual numbers for main chapters.

So I think new UI also should consider these functions.
harpum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #34
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
- A setting to disable all long presses (for me they are more an inconvenient than an advantage, as they fail too much)
- Put the landscape/portrait mode selection in the system menu (it's a system thing if we do it using xrandr; right now its the viewer that makes the rotation but that is not reasonable -- apps would not be capable of being rotated the way it is now)

Also, I attach a mock up of a possibility of having a one-line toolbar (in the case of showing the pagebar, the "iliad pagebar" would be in the position of the icons -- I've not drawn that in the examples... I was frustrated because of having to draw with the mouse instead of a pen; hope this is enough ).
Thanks for making that mock-up -- that's exactly what I was trying to describe!

I agree that we should have a setting to disable long presses, and also (as others have suggested) a key-lock to disable all keys except the pagebar.

For the landscape/portrait thing, I don't quite agree there. I think that 90-degree rotations (portrait<-->landscape) have to be handled by each viewer individually, because they involve changing how the page is laid out and displayed, which is a viewer-specific issue. The toolbar stays in the same place during these rotations.

On the other hand, rotating the entire display 180 degrees (thus putting the toolbar upside-down at the top) is something best handled at a low level. If we did it at the application level we'd have to implement it in every viewer AND move the toolbars, etc. etc. Instead of that complexity we can just flip the screen coordinates in the display driver, flip the stylus position information, and call it done...
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #35
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Oh man, that's beautiful.

On the other hand, the issue harpum mentioned is interesting, which should be the relation between document original TOC and user-defined bookmarks? Should be user-defined ones accessed via submenu and doc TOC from the index button (left-top) as Antartica initially proposed?
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #36
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
On the other hand, rotating the entire display 180 degrees (thus putting the toolbar upside-down at the top) is something best handled at a low level. If we did it at the application level we'd have to implement it in every viewer AND move the toolbars, etc. etc. Instead of that complexity we can just flip the screen coordinates in the display driver, flip the stylus position information, and call it done...
I don't understand the part stating that the rotated toolbar it would be at the top (as I understand it, it would be at the bottom) .

About doing the rotation at "low level": That is already done, we don't have to code anything. I mean: KDrive is already capable of rotating the screen itself using xrandr. I've seen it working in the pdaXrom distribution (or it was in OpenZaurus? Or in both?) for the zaurus (and it works, at least for Tosa/SL-6000). And the apps are notified -- not sure how; I assume that it is by means of a resize message; would have to check it, but now it's not the moment to do so .

This is the reason I was advocating doing the rotation "at a system level", because it's already done (perhaps we have to update the version of the XServer, but that should be all that's needed).

An alternative: instead of using the XRandR (X Resize and Rotate) extension, it can be done if we enable the compositing in the server, and modify a compositing manager (xcompmgr is the simplest one) to be able to rotate windows at our discretion. But this requires significant effort by our part, so IMHO it's better to follow another route if possible.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #37
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
Is there any posibility that with new OS we could read biger than 10 mb chm files??? Would be great. Because now FBreader cant read biger chm files. Its the same on PC and on iliad. As i understand its FBreader problem
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #38
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanas View Post
Is there any posibility that with new OS we could read biger than 10 mb chm files??? Would be great. Because now FBreader cant read biger chm files. Its the same on PC and on iliad. As i understand its FBreader problem
I don't think so. Even the new OS project succeeded, it won't affect capability of applications very much. What you can't do on current iLiad will be still not doable on the new OS. Why not try xCHM?
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #39
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Well, iLiad OS may eventually alter some applications in some ways. I would like to see major changes to iPDF, for example. We'll see.

However, one thing we definitely plan to do is to add new programs for new functionality. And if xCHM handles chm files better than FBReader, then chances are we'll set it up to use xCHM as the default viewer for chm files.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #40
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Can we make such that it support larger Compact Flash cards than 4Gb ?

Regards

vbLars
Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 AM   #41
joelypolly
joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vblars View Post
Can we make such that it support larger Compact Flash cards than 4Gb ?

Regards

vbLars
I believe some people have had success using cards up to 32GBs. It is probably a limitation of the filesystem the card was formated with.
joelypolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:25 AM   #42
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
No, its a limitation (bug) of the content lister as it will not report any size bigger than 4GB.

You may format your card on your PC/Mac with FAT32 and all the space will be usable.

FAT32 allows up to 8 TB but file size is limited to 4 GB.

Dirk

Last edited by DigiDirk; 11-07-2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: fixed the url
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #43
vblars
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelypolly View Post
I believe some people have had success using cards up to 32GBs. It is probably a limitation of the filesystem the card was formated with.
Yea I know. I've a 8Gb card myself and I don't like the iLiad only say 4Gb. And I do also have some problems with windows will scan my card almost all the time I connect it to my PC. I was hoping that if we maybe change to NTFS of E-FAT systems maybe I'll be free of all those scans. Sometimes when windows scan my card I'll lose all my books NOT COOL.

greetings

vblars
Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #44
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Use a cardreader.

There's a bug somewhere transfering files via USB directly to the CF card.

It has not been reported transfering to MMC/SD though...

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #45
jharker
Developer

Someone went ahead and added a ticket in the iLaid OS project. So it's on the list of things to do!