Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #76
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
JB HiFi Broadway's run out of stock - it was one of the stores that had it first (but I'm buying in the suburbs anyway).

Well, it's Friday morning (although pre 9am) and still no show in Harris Tech, Office Works or Harvey Norman.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #77
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just bought my black Glo at JB Hi Fi for $130.

I told the salesman re HT being $138 and he said they didn't match on line stores. But you can buy in person at HT stores.

Also bought an 8GB mico SDHC card for $12. They're 20% off.
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #78
Bronwyn
Bronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo
Great service from Bookworld. Ordered my Kobo Glo Wednesday pm, delivered Friday am.
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #79
Sezza_e
Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: KOBO Glo
Just picked up a silver glo from JbHiFi Melbourne (elizabeth street). They got 2 silver and 3 pink - thats it and no more coming....
Sezza_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #80
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Just bought my black Glo at JB Hi Fi for $130.

I told the salesman re HT being $138 and he said they didn't match on line stores. But you can buy in person at HT stores.

Also bought an 8GB mico SDHC card for $12. They're 20% off.
Ooh the NSW centre has no stock, does that mean JB Hifis in NSW won't match?
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #81
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxiaAurea View Post
Ooh the NSW centre has no stock, does that mean JB Hifis in NSW won't match?
I'm in suburban Sydney, and when I told the JB Hi Fi salesman re HT.com.au, he didn't even bother to look it up.

Also, the Harris Tech office at Ryde is open 7 days for normal trade - so it's definitely worth pointing that out.

Gotta say, the salesman and I had a very good discussion wherein I alerted him to Citavi and he was very appreciative - hence the $130 price tag, imo.

(The salesman is a uni student and found the Citavi info excellent!)
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #82
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I got my Glo at the Strand JB store today. Even though it only went to having stock on the website today, they've had the Glos in store for a few days now, just not on display/sale. They had about 10-15 black ones, a few pink ones and 5-10 white ones (of some colour or another). Of course, they had the accessories up on the wall.

The Sydney City store has stock, even though the website says they don't.

By the way, JB is selling them for $149.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #83
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
And I finally have mine in my hand! JB was useless - still not shipped after days and days of being in-store over East. So I cancelled that order and went off to a local Officeworks (Osborne Park, for you WA folks looking for one).

Price matched to Harris Tech minus a further 5% because of the OW pricing guarantee, so it was only about $131. It's lovely - "soft" touch plastics are comfortable to hold, minimal headlamping effect at the bottom, nice even screen, no perceptible colouration. It's still updating, so I can't speak to the OS yet, but I think it's not much different to the Touch, is it.

Haven't bought a Sleepcover yet, because I'm still undecided. Anyone know the best place in Perth (northernish preferred) to comparison shop hands-on?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #84
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I got Glo from OW this morning. But, I think they are as useless as JB.

I first went to OW as they are closer. They had Glo on display. It displayed the setup screen but didn't respond. I worked out the battery was flat. Just like the Touch next to it. I asked them to charge it, but they couldn't find a cable, so decided to ignore me. Price was $159.

I then went to JB. The had Mini's but no Glo and weren't sure when or if they would get a delivery.

Then I went back to OW. This time the salesman put a little more effort into finding a charger. While he was hunting for it, I used one of the display PCs to lookup the HT price. When he returned with the charger, I was able to get the Glo to turn the light on, but I couldn't do anything else without doing the setup. As I mainly wanted to see the light before deciding, I bought it. I showed him the HT site for the price match. As the page was the sites search results, it didn't show that they had no stock

So far, very nice. Text and images on the screen are noticeably clearer than the Touch.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #85
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm finding that the non-reading activity on the Glo is faster than the Touch, and page turning is about the same speed. I think that the text refresh logic isn't as refined on the Glo, in that it requires a full page rewrite more often.

I do have two bright pixels, though. Only really visible at night when the only light source is the Glo.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I do have two bright pixels, though. Only really visible at night when the only light source is the Glo.
I had two bright spots. One that I could have ignored right at the left of the screen. The other was just below the line at the bottom when the menu was displayed. I tried reading in bed with it last night and decided it was to annoying. OfficeWorks exchanged it with no questions. The new one has no bright spots.

Other than that I am happy. I do miss the more rounded back and quilting of the Touch. The only other problem is I keep trying the press the home button below the screen
Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #87
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had two bright spots. One that I could have ignored right at the left of the screen. The other was just below the line at the bottom when the menu was displayed. I tried reading in bed with it last night and decided it was to annoying. OfficeWorks exchanged it with no questions. The new one has no bright spots.

Other than that I am happy. I do miss the more rounded back and quilting of the Touch. The only other problem is I keep trying the press the home button below the screen
Thats enough reading! Back to hacking now please
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Thats enough reading! Back to hacking now please
Hacking? I don't hack. I carefully steal borrow code from people who know what they are doing...
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #89
murg
No Comment

But please do call it research...
Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #90
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I haven't noticed any pixel or bright spot issues with my Glo (yet) and all seems to be working as it should.

Gotta say though, it doesn't have the 'quality' feel that my Sony 650 has (which I can't use cos it's too darn dark to read unless the background lighting is just right!!)

Also it lost some of my test annotations, and then only one of them reappeared on another occasion, and then just disappeared again the next time I opened them. Mmmmm .... known problem I know.

The light is sharp and all along I've thought that ereaders should have a sandstone background - not grey - and then the lighting wouldn't be such an issue.