Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
kodos78
kodos78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Bought one yesterday...

A new PRS-505 at Borders. They actually were out in my neck of the woods, so had to drive about 40 miles to get one in Oxnard, CA. (They had 2 left yesterday if anyone is looking for one, maybe 1 -- someone else was interested in it when I left).

I had an order for a Kindle set to go, but given that the wait looks like 6-8 weeks at this point, and the $100 price difference -- I was willing to give the Sony a try. Plus, the Kindle looks awkward and seeing video demonstrations of the accidental page flips, I thought the Sony may do okay for me. $100 is about 10 books also

I run OS X, so that was also a concern. Fortunately I have Bootcamp setup, though since the reader shows up as a USB drive, I can load content manually still . I guess I just need Bootcamp when purchasing books from the Sony Store.

Speaking of which, who designed that thing? It locked up twice on me yesterday, and it is just atrocious. If there's one thing worrying me about the Kindle war, is that Sony doesn't seem all that interested in making their store easy to use, nor responsive.

Look at iTunes, Sony. That's your target. Not this abomination!

Also, us Mac folks (hey, we're more then 20% of all laptops sold these days!) would probably like a native client sooner or later. In fact, it must be quite a common question, since the box says that you can't use a Mac, and the Sony Support FAQ has a "sorry, we don't support Macintosh" entry.

Those are the niggles. Other than that, I love this thing. Sure, I wish it had text search like the Kindle. Other than that, my iPhone goes where I go -- so Wikipedia and Dictionary access is no biggie.

I've read about 300 pages since getting it and I must say that the eInk tech and the button layout make it easier than reading a paperback book. At night, I attach my little clip on light I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond ($7) -- up the font size to Medium and I can go on until I drop dead tired.

I really hope that Sony doesn't call it quits in this space! That's my only concern with the Kindle and Amazon. Thankfully it is in Borders, but I don't know how successful that partnership will be.

At least, the stores I went to said they sold a LOT for Christmas, and most were sold out -- so that's a good sign

Does anyone know of a good way to call up the current time while reading? I hate having to get to the menu (even with the holding of the Menu button down until it goes to the main menu), and click on Settings to see the time. It's so easy for me to lose track of time while reading!

Hope to master some of the conversion utilities I've been reading about on this forum to get my PDFs into the reader, as well as figure out where/how to buy the LIT files that can be de-DRM'd to put on the reader. I hate thinking of buying the Sony books, and then have them go out of business at some point, leaving me with a bunch of books that won't be usable on a newer device.
kodos78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Im a mac user too, look up the Libprs500 program, its great.
There is a large thread on it in the 'content' subforum
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert