Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-23-2007, 04:45 AM   #31
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I will check it out. Can you run "mobi2mobi" on your book and see which version it says it has ("MOBIHEADER ver: 5" is what I get for my dictionary).

It is ver: 4.

I tried mobi2mobi 0.0.10, but when I try to open it with the MobiPocket desktop reader it says: "Please download the latest reader on www.mobipocket.com to read this book". On my Cybook it give the not supported message.

I tried with only changing the title and another time where I tried to change title and the coverimage(--coverimage). Both didn't work.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:29 AM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post
That is why I started looking into the PRC format tonight. After 2 hours in front of my hex editor with some downloaded and some created prc files with and w/o cover art and coding a small parser, I still can not figure out how I (or the Mobipocket Reader :-)) can find out which PDB record actually contains the cover art. The attributes if the record header are always NULL. Sure I can look at the record data and see if it is a picture, but then, as you know, I get also the pictures in the book.
For the Cybook I think it is the first record after the HTML file records that is assumed to be a cover image. There is also a pointer to the first image record (the pointer is the record number or maybe the number of records used for header and the text in the book) for a MOBI header in 0x5c (4 bytes). What I did was to search for the first record with an image in it and assumed that this was the cover if it exsisted.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I
I tried mobi2mobi 0.0.10, but when I try to open it with the MobiPocket desktop reader it says: "Please download the latest reader on www.mobipocket.com to read this book". On my Cybook it give the not supported message.

I tried with only changing the title and another time where I tried to change title and the coverimage(--coverimage). Both didn't work.
Strange. You could try just changing author and see if this work since that was what I explicitly tested. Since it worked for me with the Jules Verne book I cannot say anything more without seeing the header data in your file before and after.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #34
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Strange. You could try just changing author and see if this work since that was what I explicitly tested. Since it worked for me with the Jules Verne book I cannot say anything more without seeing the header data in your file before and after.

I will send you the file before and after with the title changed. Can you PM your email to me?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #35
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Quote:
-->What I did was to search for the first record with an image in it and assumed that this was the cover if it exsisted.
Hello tompe,

thank you for the hint. When I look at MobipocketCreator generated PRC file created from a HTML page containing pictures (took this thread as an example), the first records after the html part contain pictures used within the HTML. The cover art I specified in Creator can actually be found in the last record. Hmm,maybe I have to actually wait for the reader to see what it picks up. Hope it does not take too long till it is available again.

Last edited by ppxnouse; 12-23-2007 at 07:53 AM.
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I tried different things and I managed to get version 4 to work on the Cybook. So now version 4 is the default and the author information should be visible if it it there. The new release is 0.0.11.

So now I can take a PlamDOC copy of a book from Mobileread and add the author. On my Cybook my copy of Blue Hand now have the author Edgar Wallace shown under the title in the 5 books per page library view. I think I will fix all my books so that the author is shown since it looks so much nicer.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #37
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjohn View Post
For any Windows users who just want a Linux platform to try scripts on, you can always burn a Linux Live CD.
One can also install cygwin (www.cygwin.com) which will let one run most Linux-type stuff. I use cygwin's shell all the time for all kinds of things. I hardly ever use the Windows dos box any more.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I did a version 0.0.12 where I fixed a bug with setting titles and authors that was shorter than the original ones.

I got an exemple MobiPocket version 4 file where the cover image was not the first one and I have not figured out how this image is pointed out so for these kind of files replacing the cover image will not work. In the MOBI header I think the data in B0-CF are related to this since they seem to contain pointers to records. B0 seem to point to the record with a small thumbnail image but changing just that image will not change the library image on my Cybook.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "MobiPocket Creator" tool creates v4 files which work just fine on the Gen3. I've just used it to create a new version of Dickens' "Bleak House" (available from the Mobi book forum). Might it be worth comparing the output from a simple book from "MobiPocket Creator" and your tool, and see if there are any differences?
I am looking at this book now. And the cover image was in the end for this book also. The book looked really fine on my Cybook and I really ought to read it since Bleak House has been on my to read list many years.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Gen3. I've just used it to create a new version of Dickens' "Bleak House"
What language did you specify for Bleak House? Was it "en-uk"?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What language did you specify for Bleak House? Was it "en-uk"?
It was "en-gb". That's what "MobiPocket Creator" uses if you specify the language as "English (United Kingdom).

I've attached the opf file in case it's of any use to you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip book.zip (604 Bytes, 885 views)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I managed to identify how the cover image is pointed out and version 0.0.13 can now replace the cover image in Bleak House.

The information was in the EXTH. Type 201 is the offset for the coverimage (from the first image record). And 202 is the offset for the thumbnail image but this image does not seem to be used on the Cybook.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #43
ppxnouse
Connoisseur

Right, I just logged in to post the same about EXTH 201 :-).
So you were faster ;-).

BTW: Do you know what image types are allowed in a .prc file ?
For what images do you check ?

Last edited by ppxnouse; 12-23-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add question
Old 12-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #44
ppxnouse
Connoisseur

An additional question:

I have a PRC generated by Mobi Reader 6.x beta (from aPDF). The prc does actually contain the cover art as the first image resource. So I patched 201, 202 and 203 in to the EXTH. Set its data to NULL, and expected the gif to show up as cover art in Mobireader. Well. That is not the case. I wonder if MobiReader expects the thmb to be a certain size max and I can not test on a Cybook :-(. Is there anything else that might need to get set ?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #45
ppxnouse
Connoisseur

A too large image does not seem to be the problem. Even when I set 202 to an index that contains a small Image I do not get a thumb in MobiReader on my PC.

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils