Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #136
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There is a "hidden" "cover view" mode of Home screen.

HomeBookletViewModeGetterPatch.java
Spoiler:
Code:
package com.mobileread.eureka.patch;

import serp.bytecode.BCClass;
import serp.bytecode.lowlevel.Entry;
import serp.bytecode.lowlevel.UTF8Entry;

import com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.Descriptor;
import com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.Patch;

public class HomeBookletViewModeGetterPatch extends Patch {
  private final String LIST_VIEW_MODE = new String("LIST_VIEW_MODE");
  private final String COVER_VIEW_MODE = new String("COVER_VIEW_MODE");

protected Descriptor[] getDescriptors() {
    return new Descriptor[] { new Descriptor(
        "com.amazon.kindle.home.HomeBooklet",
        new String[] { "83836d8792099cdf7c2dac9866ae845d" }) };
  }

public String perform(String md5, BCClass clazz) throws Throwable {
    Entry[] entries = clazz.getPool().getEntries();
    for (int e=0; e < entries.length; ++e) {
      if (entries[e] instanceof UTF8Entry) {
        UTF8Entry entry = (UTF8Entry) entries[e];
        if (LIST_VIEW_MODE.equals(entry.getValue())) {
            entry.setValue(COVER_VIEW_MODE);
            break;
        }
      }
    }
    return null;
  }
}

HomeBookletBrowseCoverViewModeSupportPatch.java
Spoiler:
Code:
package com.mobileread.eureka.patch;

import serp.bytecode.BCClass;
import serp.bytecode.BCMethod;
import serp.bytecode.Code;
import serp.bytecode.ConstantInstruction;

import com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.Descriptor;
import com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.Patch;

public class HomeBookletBrowseCoverViewModeSupportPatch extends Patch {
  protected Descriptor[] getDescriptors() {
    return new Descriptor[] { new Descriptor(
        "com.amazon.kindle.home.view.browse.u",
        new String[] { "7514fc95c491b7688ab7ead1c5786fdd" }) };
  }

public String perform(String md5, BCClass clazz) throws Throwable {
    BCMethod m = clazz.getDeclaredMethod("L", "boolean", null);
    Code c = m.getCode(false);
    ConstantInstruction i = (ConstantInstruction) c.next();
    i.setValue(true);
    return null;
  }
}

Both patches must be enabled. First one replaces return value of method HomeBooklet.F() (it is HomeBooklet.getViewMode() in fact). Second one changes return value of L() method (it is isCoverViewModeSupported() method in fact).

I don't provide compiled patches because "cover view" mode is useless. No covers are displayed, just layout of Home screen is changed to tiled (instead of list). Maybe additional patches are required...

Tested on 5.1.0. Thanks to ixtab, I've mostly copypasted his examples
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home_screen_cover_view_mode.gif
Views:	570
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	86983  

Last edited by eureka; 05-27-2012 at 04:41 PM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #137
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Good to see that someone is interested in this, I had already been afraid that I was the only one looking into how patches could be written

I agree that the cover view as such seems pretty useless. Still, FYI: You don't need two separate patches. You can combine both into one, by providing multiple descriptors, and checking which MD5 is supplied in perform(). For example, the margins patch modifies 4 different classes (source code).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #138
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Can you turn the gui launcher into a jbpatch?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #139
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it wouldn't even be difficult, and in fact I had thought about it before.

But I don't see a reason to do it at this moment, as it would only confuse people. Maybe when Amazon releases the next incompatible Firmware update...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #140
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Atleast they didn't follow b&n and remove the browser
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #141
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here comes the revamped no-ads patch... essentially an overhauled version of this one.

This new version also removes the screen saver ads without requiring user intervention.

INSTALLATION: Unzip the attached file, copy ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch to opt/jbpatch on the Kindle. Make sure that opt/jbpatch/CONFIG.TXT contains a line to activate "ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch". Finally, restart the Kindle.

Upgrading: If you are already using the old version, just overwrite the jbpatch file, and restart.
Sorry, not works for me. I get my Kindle Touch SO and updated it to 5.1. After that all offers removing hints, what base on deleting some catalog gets so long to no screensaver and blank screen (if delete /var/local/adunits) or showing content /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver if remove /mnt/us/system/.assets

Like I see, your latest patch removes /var/local/adunits. I copied it back from my backup ( ) and right now, KSO use directory /usr/share/blanket/ad_screensaver.

Thanks anyway, using previous (touch evry time that footer banner, if connect USB cable, that ...)
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #142
ixtab
(offline)

Sorry... I really tried, but I'm afraid that I don't really understand what you are saying.

In any case, this patch does work. If you are having problems, make sure that you have the latest jbpatch installed (1.3.1). If you are still having trouble, check /tmp/jbpatch.log on the device. Here is an example taken from my device:

Spoiler:

Code:
Mon May 28 16:08:12 GMT 2012
=== Patching class loader initialized.  ===

!Packages still handled by original loader:
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.bootstrap
===========================================

I: Registered (builtin) DeviceInfo for com.amazon.kindle.settings.dialog.DeviceInfoDialog
I: Patch policy initialized
I: Directory synchronization thread started
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources_de
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources_es
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources_fr
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources_it
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources_pt
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources_pt
I: Registered ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.TTSProvider$TTSAction
I: Registered ixtab_scrollbar-5.1.0.jbpatch for com.amazon.agui.swing.plaf.kindle.KindleTheme
I: Registered ixtab_scrollbar-5.1.0.jbpatch for com.amazon.agui.swing.PagingContainer
I: Registered ixtab_rotation-5.1.0.jbpatch for com.amazon.kindle.restricted.device.impl.ScreenRotationServiceImpl
I: Registered ixtab_devcertinject-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.security.b
I: Patch ixtab_devcertinject-5.1.0.zip has been granted 1 additional permission on request
I: Registered ixtab_passwd-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.kindle.home.action.OpenItemAction
I: Registered ixtab_passwd-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.kindle.home.action.OpenDetailsAction
I: Registered ixtab_passwd-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.kindle.swing.DetailView
I: Patch ixtab_passwd-5.1.0.zip has been granted 1 additional permission on request
I: Registered ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch for com.amazon.kindle.restricted.ad.manager.AdManagerImpl
I: Patch ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch has been granted 2 additional permissions on request
I: Registered ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.n
I: Registered ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.u
I: Registered ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.ui.FontDialog
I: Registered ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip for com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.ui.ProgressBarImpl
I: Registered ixtab_hyphenation-5.1.0.zip for com.mobipocket.common.library.reader.jb
I: Patched com.amazon.agui.swing.plaf.kindle.KindleTheme (26150e376f27cf44484e788e35af8829) using ixtab_scrollbar-5.1.0.jbpatch
I: Patched com.amazon.kindle.restricted.ad.manager.AdManagerImpl (c1c94a1e2924c89baac9ad0811589d07) using ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch
I: Patched com.amazon.kindle.restricted.device.impl.ScreenRotationServiceImpl (ee50633a567ab87e2521df075d5fd9db) using ixtab_rotation-5.1.0.jbpatch
I: Patched com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.u (62eae0a2e91163cdbe392de862598955) using ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip
I: Patched com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.n (e2cd2f0631d4a75bf278c9c3a1008216) using ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip
I: Patched com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.ui.ProgressBarImpl (4b168e63797ccaf1f642872b71c09ef9) using ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip
I: Patched com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.impl.ui.FontDialog (ac4fc5fad698a4c27e7fd495513b1ed1) using ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip
I: Patched com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.tts.resources.TTSResources (c92781d51b2ad1951e2c6d5279afe6d5) using ixtab_tts-5.1.0.zip
I: Patched com.amazon.kindle.home.action.OpenDetailsAction (689382577ea0cd5e8bb4c452c4f0fcb9) using ixtab_passwd-5.1.0.zip
I: Patched com.amazon.kindle.home.action.OpenItemAction (4fb5c0bc58d97807f3c589452f0c26a6) using ixtab_passwd-5.1.0.zip
I: Patched com.amazon.agui.swing.PagingContainer (c3b30042a1bbab39b1c5cb33a5603dde) using ixtab_scrollbar-5.1.0.jbpatch
I: Patched com.mobipocket.common.library.reader.jb (f1f3def30134788fe23db6e57fab3788) using ixtab_hyphenation-5.1.0.zip

It may look slightly different on yours, but a) you can verify that ksonoads.jbpatch is actually loaded, and b) if you see any errors or warnings, you can report them here.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #143
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Hi, I'm sorry.

English dont are my natural language and if somthing sounds weird, then sorry again.

I just wanted say, that if I delete directory ".assets" or "adunits" from my device, then I get not wanted effect.

Sorry again.

Your work are great.
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #144
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
So I finally tried this and I'm super satisfied with results
nonetheless - I have an impression that KT is opening files a bit longer - am I correct ?
(first thing - I changed margins both in pdfs and normal reader)
will it have impact on battery life ? I mean - if it's slower.. maybe it consumes more CPU..
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #145
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
Hi, I'm sorry.

English dont are my natural language and if somthing sounds weird, then sorry again.

I just wanted say, that if I delete directory ".assets" or "adunits" from my device, then I get not wanted effect.

Sorry again.

Your work are great.
Don't worry about the language - there's nothing you have to be sorry about... almost nobody here is a native english speaker, and we all make mistakes.

For the no-ads patch, you really only have to make sure that the patch is correctly installed (check /tmp/jbpatch.log if in doubt). You don't have to worry about the directories, because the patch takes care of everything.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #146
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
So I finally tried this and I'm super satisfied with results
nonetheless - I have an impression that KT is opening files a bit longer - am I correct ?
(first thing - I changed margins both in pdfs and normal reader)
will it have impact on battery life ? I mean - if it's slower.. maybe it consumes more CPU..
Yes and no. You are correct that things may take *minimally* longer initially, because there is a bit more logic involved in class loading, and patching.(*) This should be in the order of milliseconds though, and is only relevant when loading a class for the first time.

I could very well imagine that it's a psychological effect of having the patches activated for the first time: You are looking closer at how your device behaves. And you notice that everything is a bit sluggish in the beginning. This is normal, and a non-patched Kindle behaves exactly the same. Because classes are loaded on demand, the very first access to some functionality requires a bit more time. Try it: uninstall jbpatch, and reboot. Your subjective experience will pretty much be the same as with jbpatch installed.

To your second question: none of the patches published so far have any effect on battery life(*). I am 100% sure of this, because I know the system in and out.

(*) Ok, let's split hairs : jbpatch may consume a few million CPU instructions more, over the average device uptime. So assuming an average uptime of 20 days, you might lose a minute or two of battery time - but not more. In fact, some patches (TTS, no-ads) might even (minimally) *extend* battery life, because they replace complex calculations by a simple "always true"/"always false" result.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #147
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hey, another "serious" idea I was a little tired with compiling patches. So it would be cool to embed scripting engine (beanshell or, maybe, jruby/jython or something else), so that patches could be distributed not only in compiled Java .class form, but also as plain text files with scripts which will be interpreted at KT.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #148
wl.
Enthusiast
wl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-505
Here, (Windows, VS2010 if u want to compile by urself) the simple tool, which do some "cleanup" for amazon .class-files. What is it do:
1) remove local variable names, no more void func(int a, string a, char a) { a = a[a];}
2) rename one-letter class fields, to avoid mess in field names with base classes.

how to use. unzip amazon jar-files in folder with program and run it.
after it done, decompile classes with favorite decompiler.

mostly useful for 5.0.0 KT firmware

i hope, it will be usefull for anyone.
p.s. don't look at sources, it's pretty bad, i want to get fast result

Last edited by wl.; 05-29-2012 at 01:03 AM.
wl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #149
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Hey, another "serious" idea I was a little tired with compiling patches. So it would be cool to embed scripting engine (beanshell or, maybe, jruby/jython or something else), so that patches could be distributed not only in compiled Java .class form, but also as plain text files with scripts which will be interpreted at KT.
NO WAY!

Seriously: patches affect the CORE "Operating System" of the Kindle, so they should be well-tested, stable, and without side effects. I really don't want script kiddies releasing some random code which might or might not work (and that is the best case I can imagine).

On a side note, if you're using Eclipse, you don't even have to compile the patches after changing the source code, because Eclipse does it automatically. All you have to do is to scp one file to the device...

That said: Feel free to create a Patch which can load JS/Jython/JRuby or even COBOL/FORTRAN/PROLOG patch definitions
Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #150
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
All *nix (and *nix related) systems have that: it is called a: "package management system".

Often not included (internally) in an embedded system build, but there is 3Gbyte of r/w storage on these things, so plenty of room to put it back in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks