Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #886
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
@thomass

I tried running the gs command on Windows box, using gswin64c.exe. I specified -sFONTPATH=C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. Now the file is a lot larger . This also works fine on my K3. Try if it works for you.

It might be interesting to notice that when I didn't specify -sFONTPAPTH in windows, it said that it also replaced Times with Nimbus, but the resulting file didn't show (ğ,ş,İ,) when I opened it in windows (I use Foxit Reader), so I didn't bother testing that on K3.

Regards,
Kai771
this one is more accurate since it has the "İ" in the title. but the same problem is still exist.

When I try to open my test file I noticed that it crashes quickly too. Hence I think it is related with the number of pages ??? (since for large number of pages it acts normally)

EDIT: I confirmed that it is related with the number of pages by just combining this seperate pages into one PDF. (in this case it displays correctly)

Thanks for your help again.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #887
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
this one is more accurate since it has the "İ" in the title.
Yeah, because it embeded the real TimesNewRoman font . The first version embeded NimbusRomNo9L as a substitute.

Btw, this goes without saying, but just in case someone might misunderstand... the TurkishCharacterTest-win.pdf I made using windows out of convenience - it can be as easily created on Linux too, but one would have to point to the dir that contain the needed fonts. It's easier to do so on Windows, because all fonts are (usually) in the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. If I understood correctly, gs will not look into subfolders, so on Linux you'd have to copy all the fonts you want to use to a single dir. And of course, there's no TimesNewRoman on Linux (usually), so you'd have to copy it there from a Windows box.

On the other hand, on Windows, normal Ghostscript installation won't add gs to the path, so you'll need to specify the full path when invoking the command.

If I understood you correctly, it works for you too if the document has more than 1 page? If so, I'm glad you were able to sort it out.

Regards,
Kai771
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #888
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
If I understood you correctly, it works for you too if the document has more than 1 page? If so, I'm glad you were able to sort it out.
yes that is the case for the current builds of KPV for Touch.
BTW Just tried this process for the actual file (which has a large number of page) and worked w/o any problem.

Last edited by thomass; 01-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #889
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Hey, thank you both for palying around with this file, which reveals a bug in the new version. I have fixed it and sent a RP ;p
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #890
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Just to let everyone know that a new (2013.1) release of KPV is now available here:

https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/wiki/Download

The ChangeLog is at the same location.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #891
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Just to let everyone know that a new (2013.1) release of KPV is now available here:
new means new layout? (ie can I use it on Touch? )

Edit: tried and didn't work

Last edited by thomass; 01-18-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #892
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

No, "new" means "other than old", i.e. different from the previous release by new features and bugfixes (see ChangeLog). Support for touch is not amongst the new features of this release. For that you will need to wait a little bit.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #893
pax.alvi
pax.alvi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
Bug report:

If you start kindle pdf viewer with shift p k (kill framework) after a stand-by period "going into screensaver" message pops and it never goes away. I mean the screen saver is never displayed. Though the kindle goes to sleep and you have to wake it to continue reading by slider.

If you start kindle pdf viewer without killing framework, the screen saver is displayed fine.
hello,
I have the same problem but I think screen savers is not really important for kindle! having no screen saver is not harmful for kindle screen pixels. even if it shows the "going into screensaver" message for a long time it's not an issue. am I right?
pax.alvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #894
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax.alvi View Post
hello,
I have the same problem but I think screen savers is not really important for kindle! having no screen saver is not harmful for kindle screen pixels. even if it shows the "going into screensaver" message for a long time it's not an issue. am I right?
Because the native framework is in charge of the screen saver, so if you killed it on start, you wont get any screen saver anymore.

Screen saver is just cosmetic I think. So not showing it won't do any harm to the screen.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #895
pax.alvi
pax.alvi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I wish I could connect my kindle to my pc and copy a pdf to it while the framework is killed! (shift p k)
is there any solution?

PS: another small question: how can I turn on the framework by some key combination after I killed it by (shift p k)?

Last edited by pax.alvi; 01-20-2013 at 06:44 AM.
pax.alvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #896
tigran
Zealot

Not having screensaver image is a feature, not a bug, because it allows you to see what was the previous battery state _before_ waking up the Kindle and then compare with the current state and analyze (mentally) battery's performance. (Or you can remember to press Alt-. to do this automatically and then open the file kindlepdfviewer/batlog.txt in KPV to see the actual data)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #897
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I wish I could connect my kindle to my pc and copy a pdf to it while the framework is killed! (shift p k)
is there any solution?

PS: another small question: how can I turn on the framework by some key combination after I killed it by (shift p k)?
I didn't try it, but if you take a look at kpdf.ini in launchpad folder, you'll see this:
Code:
[Actions]
# start kindlepdfviewer with filebrowser in /mnt/us/documents
P D = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh /mnt/us/documents
# start kindlepdfviewer with last document
P P = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh
# start kindlepdfviewer without framework in /mnt/us/documents
P K = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh --framework_stop /mnt/us/documents
# start kindlepdfviewer without framework on last read document
P L = !/mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh --framework_stop
# restart amazon framework - when it got irritated
P R = !/etc/init.d/framework restart
So, I suppose (shift p r) will restart it.

If you have usbnetwork installed, you should be able to copy files to your Kindle using scp even when your framework is not running (again, didn't try it myself).

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Kai771
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #898
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Kindlepdfviewer running on a Kobo Glo !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yraBhQekkNQ

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...indlepdfviewer

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...indlepdfviewer

Last edited by markom; 01-27-2013 at 02:22 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #899
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
is there any solution?

Sorry that you will not be able to transfer via usb when the framework is down for now. As for key combination, kindly refer to Kai's reply
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #900
dave2008
Addict

Yes, giorgio is doing the porting and he said he would like to merge the changes back to official repo. So hopefully by that time we can make the kpv framework device independent