Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Rick_Aus
Rick_Aus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon
Start Up Taking Long Time

I have got about 1000 books on my Orizon, and whenever I either connect it to a computer or restart the device from Shutdown, it takes about 2-3 minutes for it to completely boot.

It is really getting annoying that this is taking so long.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Rick_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The orizon is a bit long to start. Not that long for me though.
I think it checks for new books, so, the more books you have, the longer the start up.
Maybe you should contact bookeen and see what they think about that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Do you have folder mode enabled? If I remember correctly, the Gen3 takes longer to boot if it is disabled, because it then checks the whole library at every boot, while with it enabled it checks only the current folder. Maybe the Orizon does the same, although as EowynCarter says, it always checks for new books.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
frodoquick
frodoquick began at the beginning.

Unhappy

Hi all, I've the same problem.

Since the previous release of firmware (2.x) the startup time was fine, once installed the 3.1 in july the time increased drammatically (with 2500 books the startup taken 45 minutes!!!!!).

I've written to Cybook support and they sent me a link to a firmware version (3.0) that fix everithing but has no "cool" features listed in 3.1.

So I've reinitialized my device, remove books, check the memory device and defrag it, install 3.1, and copy books again via Calibre.

Now with 400 books only the startup takes more or less 4 minutes that is no 45 (but with less books) but is too much for an ebook reader.

I'm not a device expert what I could see is that with previous version (2.x) the manifest directory contains data that are no more present now and that the 3.0 bin file was 31 Mb whilst the 3.1 is 17 only.

I'm a little bit sad
frodoquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Rick_Aus
Rick_Aus began at the beginning.

I do use Folder mode, I have too many books not to.

It seems that it is just checking through every book I have every time I unplug or restart the device - which means that it can't support too many books without getting really slow.

It is still usable at the moment, and hope that the next firmware update fixes it.
Rick_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
There where no 2.x version for the Orizon. The first one was 3.0
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
frodoquick
frodoquick began at the beginning.

Sorry, due to the fact that this is the third firmware update (November, Jenuary and July) and this is version 3.1 I thought tha the first update was related to a version 2.X, may be it was a release 3.0 with a different build number I don't know...

I've contacted Bookeen support and they asked me to have all books in a unique directory (nothing changed) and to see if the problem was present only when the battery is not full charge (same as previous). The only solution seems to back to version 3.0 (??!!)

I've received today a mail that ask me to send the reader to Paris (how long???).

I'm realy, really sad, I've to back to paper book for a while...
frodoquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Jozo
Jozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRiver Cover Story, Opus(broken screen), Orizon
I have the same problem, only my collection is 25.000 files and with that many it takes longer to boot than the battery lasts. Support have been really unhelpful and wont even provide the older firmware because Quote: 'Because in the previous version, there were bugs, that could seriously undermine the system.'
I just wonder if those bugs were worse than not being able to boot at all?! Still haven't gotten a reply on that. They are not exactly quick to reply for questions that aren't standard.

But enough about that. I have figured out a way to speed up the boot a lot!

The problem is definitely the "new books" search at the start. It seems like it isn't the search itself but something afterwards. Probably sorting all new books into a database or something like that.
The Orizon creates a .dat file for every file that has been opened, so I made a script that created a .dat file for every single book. With no "new" books the boot time was reduced from infinity to just 12 minutes in my case with about 25.000 files. (Also copied in a .thn file for everything. Browsing is a lot quicker when it doesn't create thumbnails when searching through new folders.)

So now I can charge it, let it work 12 minutes and then I can use it normally until I have to recharge the battery the next time.

For some reason this trick with the .dat files only seems to work with html or txt files. With the epub version it still won't boot. Haven't bothered to let it run more than half an hour so I'm not totally sure if it is just longer than html. Could also be something in the format of the .dat file that I haven't been able to figure out. For .html files it works to let the Orizon create one file and then copy that file with different file names.

The naming of the files is important since it is case sensitive. For most files it should be the same capitalization as the original file. For example:
Some Book.html -> Some Book.html.dat
But if the filename is in all CAPS then it is most of the time all lower case: SOMEBOOK.TXT -> somebook.txt

Still for some reason this doesn't always work either. I really can't figure out how or why they change capitalization

Weird examples from actual files that I had problem with:
LOL.TXT -> lol.txt.dat
CAI.TXT->CAI.TXT.dat
I can not figure out why one is in caps and the other lower case.

The reason I have tried both epub and html is that I have two versions of my collection, one with html and txt files and the other in epub. The Opus was a lot quicker when reading epub so I converted all files while I was using that.

I would really wish that there was an option to turn off this 'feature' with new books. Preferably turn off thumbnails as well, it just slows down browsing a lot unless you create them yourself on a real computer.
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Jozo
Jozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheeseJozo can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRiver Cover Story, Opus(broken screen), Orizon
For those that have the same problem here is a simple way to do this. I use windows but linux and probably mac have some similar way to do this.

1: Open a book on the Orizon to make it create a .dat file.
2: Connect the reader to your computer.
3: Copy that .dat file to the root of where the books are stored. Probably something like "e:\digital editions" It is a hidden file in the same folder as the books.
4: Open a command prompt.
5: Go to the folder where you have the books and type in at the command prompt:
dir /on /s /a-d >script.bat
This creates a list of all files that are in that folder and subfolders.
6: Open the newly created script.bat file in a text editor.
7: Now for some search and replace you want to convert the lines that look like E:\digital editions\Books\sample book.html ->
copy "your dat file.dat" "E:\digital editions\Books\sample book.html.dat"
Search and replace the following.
E: -> copy "your dat file.dat" "E:
html -> html.dat"
txt -> txt.dat"

Make sure to include the quotes since you want the filenames in quotes if there is a space anywhere.
7.5: Delete lines for files that should not have a .dat file. Only keep the html, txt and other file formats that you use. If you have .dat or .thn in the list delete those lines.
8: save and double-click the script.bat file. It should now make a copy of the .dat file for each file that you had.
9: the same procedure can be used to create a .thn file for thumbnails.

Last edited by Jozo; 11-15-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Forgot point 7.5
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote