Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
steje
steje began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipad
Disable open output folder when saving to disk

When saving to disk... Calibre opens the output folder in explorer after the save is complete. I (always) already have the output folder open before launching Calibre, so it just creates lots of windows I have to close...

Is there any option to disable this behavior?
steje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Edit the source and comment out the one line that does it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
steje

Thanks kovidgoyal... can you clarify about what source (located where, what file) to edit...? I poked around and found a "save_to_disk.py" file that seemed promising, but I didn't see anything in it that actually performed a shell 'open' action or anything, just program 'flags' like those exposed in the UI...
Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
actions/save_to_disk.py
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
actions/save_to_disk.py
About the fourth line from the end
Code:
open_local_file(path)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
steje

Thanks to both of you... and sorry to continue the questioning, but the relative path starting with "actions\" is unfamiliar to me. I'm running v0.8.14 on WinXP, and at a glance, the only "save_to_disk.py" file I have is under the "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\calibre\" folder, and doe not contain any line with the "open" string in it...
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steje View Post
Thanks to both of you... and sorry to continue the questioning, but the relative path starting with "actions\" is unfamiliar to me. I'm running v0.8.14 on WinXP, and at a glance, the only "save_to_disk.py" file I have is under the "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\calibre\" folder, and doe not contain any line with the "open" string in it...
I may be wrong but it seems to me that you have to be running from source to make this change. I'm guessing that if you have setup the proper Windows development environment that you would see the path indicated.

Outside of my current skillset.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I may be wrong but it seems to me that you have to be running from source to make this change.
dwanthny is correct - I was about to post the same link. If running from source is not something you are comfortable with, then you can't do what you want. (It's not hard to run from source, but you have to spend some time to get comfortable with how you edit the source and propagate this change forward through each upgrade, and how to deal with conflicts if they arise.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
steje

I'm handy with code (from a previous life :-))... though I can't say I've used an app before that "runs from source". Is this in fact an open source project where if I made the required changes - I could submit code changes to include an 'option' to disable the opening of the output folder...?

Edit: so as not to have 'local' source changes on my box only - that I then need to sort through every time I upgrade the source to latest version - such as you described (not a BIG deal with so minor a change - but I need LESS things in general to remember to maintain on my pc - not more :-))...
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steje View Post
I'm handy with code (from a previous life :-))... though I can't say I've used an app before that "runs from source". Is this in fact an open source project where if I made the required changes - I could submit code changes to include an 'option' to disable the opening of the output folder...?

Edit: so as not to have 'local' source changes on my box only - that I then need to sort through every time I upgrade the source to latest version - such as you described (not a BIG deal with so minor a change - but I need LESS things in general to remember to maintain on my pc - not more :-))...
Assuming your local source changes are not in conflict with some other change in a new release, your local changes will automatically propagate. That said, I've been surprised at how often minor code changes seem to generate a conflict requiring some personal attention.

Yes, you can submit code to do this, but it will have to pass muster with Kovid before it's accepted, and option creep (too many choices) is a concern. It might be more acceptable as a "tweak" option rather than a checkbox option on a main Preferences screen.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would +1 this being added as an option somehow (be it tweak or preference, whatever Kovid will accept).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
If such a tweak existed, I'd want to use it
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
steje

I'll probably be sitting in my house watching Irene blow down some trees this weekend :-)... so maybe I'll have time to investigate a code change for a Tweak that would suppress the shell open... I think a Tweak is more than good enough for such a request, no need to make it a check-box item.