Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
MogaMoba
MogaMoba began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Book covers not displaying properly

Hey all, having a bit of a problem here. What I have is a folder which has many other folders inside of it. Each of the folders within this large folder have 1 .txt file and 1 .jpg file.

When I try to add this folder which contains all the other folders containing individual books, the book covers never show up. My hope was that I could just convert the folders into single files containing the jpg book covers. Is this a possibility? Is there a better way to do it? I'd really like to just have single files, but the end goal is simply having book covers actually show up.

Thanks for reading ^_^
MogaMoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogaMoba View Post
Hey all, having a bit of a problem here. What I have is a folder which has many other folders inside of it. Each of the folders within this large folder have 1 .txt file and 1 .jpg file.

When I try to add this folder which contains all the other folders containing individual books, the book covers never show up. My hope was that I could just convert the folders into single files containing the jpg book covers. Is this a possibility? Is there a better way to do it? I'd really like to just have single files, but the end goal is simply having book covers actually show up.

Thanks for reading ^_^
Not a great idea using the same filename in multiple folders.
Some programs (Like Sigil) flatten the folder structure into Text,Images, Styles,Fonts, Misc.

If all your folders have 1.jpg the your final book will have ONE picture, the last 1.jpg added
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
MogaMoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a great idea using the same filename in multiple folders.
Some programs (Like Sigil) flatten the folder structure into Text,Images, Styles,Fonts, Misc.

If all your folders have 1.jpg the your final book will have ONE picture, the last 1.jpg added
Each folder is named the same as the .txt file and the .jpg file, which is the title of the book, so no two jpgs or .txts are the same.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When adding the .txt files via the GUI then Calibre will not automatically pick up the associated .jpg files. They would have to be added manually afterwards. This would involve getting a particular book to be selected in the main winow, and then you could drag-and-drop or copy-paste the cover image to replace the one currently showing.

Alternatively if you are up to it, you could write a script to add the files using the Calibre command line tools. Doing it that way would also allow you to add the covers at the same time, but it does require you have to the skills to produce such a script.

What is your final target format? A book cover cannot be embedded in a txt file, so I am assuming that you are likely to want to convert to some other format that DOES support embedded covers such as EPUB or MOBI? As long as you have added the cover in calibre, then if you run a conversion from .txt to the target format Calibre can automatically embed the cover for you.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
MogaMoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
When adding the .txt files via the GUI then Calibre will not automatically pick up the associated .jpg files. They would have to be added manually afterwards. This would involve getting a particular book to be selected in the main winow, and then you could drag-and-drop or copy-paste the cover image to replace the one currently showing.

Alternatively if you are up to it, you could write a script to add the files using the Calibre command line tools. Doing it that way would also allow you to add the covers at the same time, but it does require you have to the skills to produce such a script.

What is your final target format? A book cover cannot be embedded in a txt file, so I am assuming that you are likely to want to convert to some other format that DOES support embedded covers such as EPUB or MOBI? As long as you have added the cover in calibre, then if you run a conversion from .txt to the target format Calibre can automatically embed the cover for you.
Are there any tools available which are able to find folders, see there is a .txt and a .jpg, then convert the folder into a single file which combines the text and cover? My main concern is just being able to browse my library and have the covers displayed. It seems like the best option is to convert the folders into epub or mobi or something, but I'm very new to digital format reading, so I'm not sure how to
Advert