Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
The "International" SF Recommendations List

This may surprise many Americans, but there are many notable non-English speaking writers of speculative fiction.

Check this LINK for a list of "international" SF authors (where " international" means "non-English-speaking).

Read the comments for even more recommendations. Please add your own recommendations here, if you will.

I am not in any way associated with this site, for the record. Its just a nice list of international SF authors.

Last edited by stonetools; 07-25-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: For clarity
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Nightwatch series by Sergei Lukyanenko is awesome as is the Metro 2033 series by Dmitri Glukhovski.

The 4 books in the Nightwatch series are all readily available in english. Metro 2033 is a little harder to get but it's out there. It's sequel, Metro 2034 doesn't have an english translation yet to my knowledge but there's a video game based on it coming next year so that will probably change.

I should note that there are 2 excellent films available based on the first 2 Nightwatch books as well. They're very well done and artistically gorgeous.

Last edited by xg4bx; 07-27-2011 at 04:47 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
TBH, I'm not always aware of where writers are from. And the list linked is far from non-English-speaking - last time I checked, we speak English here in Australia too...

The first on my list is the only non-Anglophone author, but I read in English so it's necessarily skewed towards books published in English and therefore Anglophone authors.

My read list:
Sergei Lukyanenko (Russia) - I was horrified that the description on the cover of this was "Russian Harry Potter". Not even close. This is SO much better. (No, I am not a Harry Potter fan.)
Guy Gavriel Kay (Canada) - one of my favourites, historical fantasy.
Ekaterina Sedia (Russia/US) - I started Secret History of Moscow but due to other distractions didn't get to finish it before it had to go back to the library. But it was very promising and it's still on the TBR virtual pile.

The rest are all Australian
Isobelle Carmody - if only she would finish the Obernewtyn series! I read the first one when it came out over 20 years ago and still waiting for the series end.
Greg Egan - classic SF
Marianne de Pierres - I preferred the Parrish Plessis series to the Dark Space series
Simon Haynes - who is a member here...
Sean McMullen
Shannah Jay
Juliet Marillier
Jennifer Fallon
Gillian Rubinstein
Matthew Reilly - he described his work as thinly disguised fantasy quests in a recent panel discussion

I'm sure there's more that I've read and am just not aware of their nationality. I just noticed that I have not read any Kiwi authors and now I can't think of any!
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I need to read more foreign SF. I very much liked the English translation of Sergei's Watch series (though fantasy, not SF). Also enjoyed most of Takami's Battle Royale, though it felt less mature and more shallow.

Huh, also really enjoyed the video games based on Sapkowski's The Witcher. Must check out those texts!

Last edited by Penforhire; 07-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
And the list linked is far from non-English-speaking - last time I checked, we speak English here in Australia too...
You call that barbarous dialect you mumble in Australia English?
Ok, just joking. I'm originally from Jamaica, and lots of people don't believe English is spoken there.
I guess I should have said "mostly non-English speaking".
Thanks for your list of Aussie authors. Apart from Greg Egan, I didn't know of any Australian SF authors.
What I wanted to do in this thread is expose SF authors outside the US-UK axis. I know of a couple from Canada (Atwood, Sawyer) and a couple from the English-speaking Caribbean(Tobias Bucknell, Nalo Hopkinson). I know of a well regarded SF novel from South Africa ,Zoo City, Lauren Beukes.. Otherwise, I got nothing from outside UK/US.
I would welcome recommendations of authors from outside UK/US, whether they write in English or not.

Last edited by stonetools; 07-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Svetlana Martynchik has written the The Labyrinths of Echo series. The 10 books in the series have sold over 2 million copies in Russia alone. The first two books have been translated to English (The Stranger and The Stranger's Woes). She writes under the pen name Max Frei—who is also the main character and narrator of the books.

They're probably not technically SF, but the article itself was fairly loose with it's interpretation of SF as well, so I feel justified in mentioning her/them. They definitely fall under the umbrella of speculative fiction.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-27-2011 at 12:57 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
You call that barbarous dialect you mumble in Australia English?
Ok, just joking. I'm originally from Jamaica, and lots of people don't believe English is spoken there.
I guess I should have said "mostly non-English speaking".
Thanks for your list of Aussie authors. Apart from Greg Egan, I didn't know of any Australian SF authors.
What I wanted to do in this thread is expose SF authors outside the US-UK axis. I know of a couple from Canada (Atwood, Sawyer) and a couple from the English-speaking Caribbean(Tobias Bucknell, Nalo Hopkinson). I know of a well regarded SF novel from South Africa ,Zoo City, Lauren Beukes.. Otherwise, I got nothing from outside UK/US.
I would welcome recommendations of authors from outside UK/US, whether they write in English or not.
Stanilaw Lem - Polish. My faves - The Cybernaid and The Futurelogical Congress
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward
Stanilaw Lem - Polish. My faves - The Cybernaid and The Futurelogical Congress
I've always been absolutely fascinated with His Master's Voice. But thanks for reminding me that I need to go back and fill in my Lem gaps.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
What comes to mind is Hiroyuki Morioka's "Crest Of The Stars". Unfortunately, the english translation was published by Tokyopop, which is no longer in business.

There is also Yasutaka Tsutsui, who's had stories adapted into movies ("The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", "Paprika"). Some of his books have been translated into English by a British publisher.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
This may surprise many Americans, but there are many notable non-English speaking writers of speculative fiction.
Why would it surprise an American that other countries (and languages) produce good SF/F? (The U.K. is leading the SF/F world right now, though I see that below this post you corrected it to be "authors outside the US/UK".) However, as English is the only language I read well enough to really comprehend, I only read books that have been written in/translated to English.

I don't consider myself widely read in SF/F, only getting into it a few years ago, but I've read more on that list than I expected to have read. Many I didn't realize were translations. Neverending Story, Battle Royale (the names in this one gave it away as a translation), the Nightwatch series, Solaris. Many of the UK authors; many others are on my tbr list.

Had never heard of Momo by Michael Ende. Sounds like something I'd love

It did, however, surprise me to learn that Paolo Bacigalupi is an American author
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
A couple more Canadian authors - Julie Czerneda has several good trilogies and some standalone books, as well as edited several collections - and Tanya Huff, mostly fantasy, as I recall - oh, and Peter Watts has very good SF
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Why would it surprise an American that other countries (and languages) produce good SF/F? (The U.K. is leading the SF/F world right now, though I see that below this post you corrected it to be "authors outside the US/UK".) However, as English is the only language I read well enough to really comprehend, I only read books that have been written in/translated to English.

I don't consider myself widely read in SF/F, only getting into it a few years ago, but I've read more on that list than I expected to have read. Many I didn't realize were translations. Neverending Story, Battle Royale (the names in this one gave it away as a translation), the Nightwatch series, Solaris. Many of the UK authors; many others are on my tbr list.

It did, however, surprise me to learn that Paolo Bacigalupi is an American author
It's funny that you mentioned authors from the UK. I don't know why but I've been reading alot of authors from there lately. I'm loving the stuff that Angry Robot and Abaddon are putting out (sf/fantasy/horror). It's a fresh p.o.v. yet not one that would be totally alien to an American. Their stuff just seems darker, edgier and more nihilistic than American writers.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I haven't read it in years, but I remember it being a good book.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote