Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Dumhed
Dumhed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
pdf to mobi... creating images rather than text

I was converting some pdfs I've had of some academic journal articles.... it is much better for me to read something that retains the paragraph markers. Since I'm using a DX, my screen is quite large and can still read smaller print if a PDF page is simply converted into an image.

In my latest conversions, the articles had both the text converted into mobi format followed by an image of the same page. Strange. But it got me thinking... is it possible to configure calibre so that instead of doing a text conversion of my pdf, it just does an image conversion instead? And if so, is there a way to adjust the margins so that the image takes as much of the screen as possible?
Dumhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Why not simply view the PDF unchanged instead of trying to convert it?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Dumhed

because as i understand it.... pdfs need to be converted before they can be read on the kindle.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Unfortunately I've never used a Kindle DX but I thought one of its main selling points was the ability to read PDFs "as-is", i.e. no conversion necessary.

This is a line from Amazon's blurb:

Beautiful Large Display: The 9.7" diagonal E-ink screen is ideal for a broad range of reading material, including graphic-rich books, PDFs, newspapers, magazines, and blogs
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Dumhed

lol... i am such an idiot... yes... built in pdf reader... dunno why I never knew that.
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Don't worry forum members of all ages all have "senior moments" now and again
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote