Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #46
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
When I have eyestrain from LCD screen, my eyes HURT. Damage to the eyes or not, I hate the pain of eyestrain.

And how does anyone here KNOW that the screen quality is as good as an ipad but smaller? Have you used this new device?

B&N should have made some improvements to the Nook with e-ink. Sure, a software update is coming, but why not have a pearl e-ink screen in a much lighter device? Nook needs more font sizes and better page turn buttons.
6 font sizes isn't enough? how much smaller and how much larger can you get.

What do you want one word per page?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #47
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Better screen is likely, better battery life no. It's currently listed as 8 hours with wifi on, which is about the same as any other tablet or smartphone.
but thing is on the battery life anyone going into already knows LCD and low battery life. No one is shocked that they would have to charge their smartphone basically everynight after a good amount of use.

If anyone buys an LCD device and is shocked that the battery isn't lasting 6 days then they really need to educated themselves in the electronic gadget world.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #48
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
For $100 more than the regular wifi Nook, the Nook Color, for those wanting colour, it seems like a very decent upgrade.

What I don't understand is what sets it apart from the $600 Samsung Galaxy Tab which is also 7" touch screen running Android. What's the trade-off for the $351 savings? A 3G radio circuit can't add that much. Just locking out full Android access isn't enough to explain the savings. Anyone know?
it's because the price point of the Galaxy was set by Jobs, as it's a direct shot at the iPad, while the price point of the color Nook was set by Amazon with the original Kindle pricing. It's not about what it's worth, but rather what the market will bear.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #49
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Was it actually asserted that LCD was harmful for the eyes? The only real argument that I ever heard was that backlit LCD caused a substantial amount of readers to experience eye strain and fatigue. (This, by the way, is not a total fallacy, as I cannot read on a monitor, iPod or iPad without causing a blinding headache.)
If the new Nook takes off, in either case, it's nothing but good for the ereading community at large. The more people that want to buy ebooks means more dedicated devices and more published ebooks. Looking at it this way, (although I am one of the 6), I have to say "Let it glow, let it glow, let it glow".
Actually yes, there are many people stating that LCD is harmful to the eyes. Everyone should realize that you get eye strain from just about anything you look at for a long time, even an eink screen. It has been suggested, but not proven, that LCD causes more eyestrain than eink. True or not, it really depends on the person doing the reading/using of the device.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #50
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
When I have eyestrain from LCD screen, my eyes HURT. Damage to the eyes or not, I hate the pain of eyestrain.

And how does anyone here KNOW that the screen quality is as good as an ipad but smaller? Have you used this new device?

B&N should have made some improvements to the Nook with e-ink. Sure, a software update is coming, but why not have a pearl e-ink screen in a much lighter device? Nook needs more font sizes and better page turn buttons.
I understand your preference, yet I don't understand your belief that your chosen device type is the only type of ereader that should exist. When did people decide that only eink could make a dedicated reading device? That is simply not true. I've been waiting years for mature LCD ebook readers, which started with my tried but true RCA ebook reader and PDA devices. It is now proven that LCD can make an excellent reader and many of us want a device just for reading that is LCD, not eink.

So no, they didn't need ANOTHER eink device, we already have tons of them to choose from. People like me - and you will find a lot of us here - want this device specifically.

Finally, the device uses a very high quality capacitive screen by LG. It has technically higher resolution than an iPad. This means that it will be crystal clear. I'm sorry this isn't another eink technology, but be happy with your huge selection of eink readers and let those of us happy to finally have a high quality LCD reader rejoice.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #51
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I think the most exciting part of this is that it portends a much better Nook Android app. The current one is on par with K4A, FBReader, Aldiko, etc. If the color Nook can do magazines, movies, interactive books ... can an Android app be far behind?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #52
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I'm impressed with Nook software so far. I know the PC version could use more features (a lot more to be honest), but NookStudy is amazing.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can eBooks from eBookstores other then B&N be used on the nook color?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #54
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can eBooks from eBookstores other then B&N be used on the nook color?
I'd like to know if I can use the apps for other ebookstores on this device too.

Android is, supposedly, open, so I would guess so.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #55
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I thought the Nook Color was listed on the B&N site as having 8 hours battery life with the Wi-Fi OFF.

Right now I have the Wi-Fi nook and that battery sure doesn't last very long and I have Wi-Fi turned off all the time. I don't think people are going to be very happy with the Nook Color as far as the battery goes.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #56
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Here is the ultimate answer to this iPad/nookcolor/etc debacle. Try to see it the way I'm looking at it for two seconds. Think outside of your techie nerdselves and let's look at it this way. I'm q big techie nerd too btw.

The more I think about this device the more I like it. Why? Well I'm not thinking of myself but someone like my dad and other non-tech heads. Think of a world where we are not called every day asking how something works, how to do this or that. Our time has come tech heads. Now I can safely recommend a device, not have to compare specs, give it to someone like my pops and then leave it at that. It's a dream come true. I don't have to go to the house on the weekend to defrag, clean cookies, download updates. The nookcolor and even the iPad are what they are. I don't have to worry about these things anymore. These are the people B&N are targeting. Screw us. If we want to get our hands dirty we know where to go for those types of devices. We know how to tear things apart, change an SSD add a terabyte drive, change dimms & Simms & power supplies.

So again I think this is a great device that will appeal to the majority of consumers.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #57
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Here is the ultimate answer to this iPad/nookcolor/etc debacle. Try to see it the way I'm looking at it for two seconds. Think outside of your techie nerdselves and let's look at it this way. I'm q big techie nerd too btw.

Precisely. The vast majority of the buying public is only now waking up to the fact that e-readers are available and a viable option. Some of them think the Kindle is all there is. Those who realize they have options know of three -- Kindle, Nook and the iPad.

It doesn't matter how many other choices you can mention in readers or tablets or Android or what have you, they don't factor in for most of the untapped market. Battery life won't matter much because they are used to charging electronics daily. They know about eink very vaguely if at all, many don't realize the above devices aren't LCD.

The Kindle is what it is because it is a simple solution presented by a company big enough to get everyone's attention. The Nook Color has the potential to do that for B&N because it is flashy enough to catch public attention, won't compete precisely head-to-head with the Kindle and is so much cheaper than the iPad.

Last edited by BexBits; 10-28-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: To correct spelling.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #58
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post

The more I think about this device the more I like it. Why? Well I'm not thinking of myself but someone like my dad and other non-tech heads. Think of a world where we are not called every day asking how something works, how to do this or that. Our time has come tech heads. Now I can safely recommend a device, not have to compare specs, give it to someone like my pops and then leave it at that. It's a dream come true. I don't have to go to the house on the weekend to defrag, clean cookies, download updates. The nookcolor and even the iPad are what they are. I don't have to worry about these things anymore. These are the people B&N are targeting. Screw us. If we want to get our hands dirty we know where to go for those types of devices. We know how to tear things apart, change an SSD add a terabyte drive, change dimms & Simms & power supplies.

So again I think this is a great device that will appeal to the majority of consumers.
Amen brother

Its the 80/20 rule of software development. If it works for 80% of the users then it is a raging sucess, you will never please 100% so stop trying. We are geeks who love to argue the inside baseball. My wife just likes to read and wants color, nuff said.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #59
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
I have recently acquired a Kindle 3G/Wifi, tired of long waiting for all the bells-and-whistles tablets that were promised last year. Nook color doesn't make me regret my purchase even in the smallest degree. I am aware that Kindle is not an all-purpose device, but I like its screen, I like the Amazon shop, open not just to US customers and so on. Kindle is certainly up to the job when it comes to reading books and I don't really need much more. There are just a couple of features that could improve Kindle (page numbers corresponding to paper editions, better collection management), but these are software-wise, not hardware ones.

Yet, I would like to have a real tablet that would be able to replace my old Palm TX, as a multi-purpose (if not all-purpose) device. Nook doesn't even seem like one. If there are any hopes left for me after last year's hype about the new wave of tablets, they rest with Blackberry Playbook or, perhaps with a new Asus Pad/Tablet (not seen yet), certainly not with Nook.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #60
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
There was another post mentioning editing docs on it, but I don't see anything about it on the BN site. Do you remember where you saw this? Thanks.
Here.

Hm. I'm sure yesterday it said 'view and edit' - today it only says 'view'. Better wait and see then. View alone won't cut it for me.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor