Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Question Which version of Les Miserables is best for Kindle?

I've finally decided to give Victor Hugo's much-acclaimed Les Miserables a try... but the sheer number of available versions (even in the Kindle Store) is bewildering.

I've read in a review that the best paperback version is the "Signet Classics" one.

Which would be the best version for Kindle?
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Download a few samples (to K4PC) and look at their formatting before buying. I have had good experience with "Signet Classic" versions from Amazon.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Try this one.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27916
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I was about to make the same suggestion myself .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Well, I did look at that option... but how does it compare to the Signet Classics version?

I've heard of cases where foreign books released to the public domain contain translation errors, or a generally poor level of translation.

One good example of this would be "The Histories" by Herodotus, where "The Landmark" version is far and away superior to the public domain version.
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
f14maverick
f14maverick began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, NookColor
Does anyone have the mobi version of Strassler's The Landmark Herodotus?
f14maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
contemplating this book for my next read, any other opinions after 2 years?
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post

how about this?

is it the same?

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/135
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
You really need to consider which translation of Les Misérables to opt for (assuming you plan to read it in English).

The Hapgood translation is the one that was used for Project Guthenberg, and which therefore is probably the one you'll find in most public domain versions (including the one here in the MobileRead library).

But there are a couple of more recent translations that you might find easier to read. These are by Norman Denny and Julie Rose respectively. Since both of these translations are recent, they will still be in copyright, so you will have to pay the going rate for the e-books.

The Signet Classic is based on the original American translation (by Charles Wilbur), but has been modernised.

(Source for all the above.)

In short, your best bet would be to download samples of each, and to decide which translation you prefer, and which version has the fewest errors and the best formatting.

One other thing to keep in mind is whether you prefer to read an American or a British translation. In theory, it shouldn't matter - they are both equally valid. But many people think otherwise.

Please let us know which one you finally decide on.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I was investigating this same question a few weeks ago. Although the Fahnestock and MacAfee translation (Signet Classic) seems to be the most commonly recommended, it isn't available as an ebook. However, I found the Hapgood translation quite readable. Although there are many free ebook versions of Hapgood's translation out there, I ended up buying the one from Carefully Crafted Classics. I downloaded the sample from Amazon, and I was pleased by the fact that it restored the italics that are missing in the versions from PG and other free sources and that it expanded the first-letter-dash that Hugo used to the actual proper nouns: "Bishop of Digne" instead of "Bishop of D——" for example. I find it less distracting, a personal preference that made it worth the $2.99 for me.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am just finishing reading this version:
http://www.amazon.com/Mis%C3%A9rable.../dp/B00AEZT4YO

It's not free, but $2.99 is not much - and it's a long book.
It's also Hapgood. It's illustrated, pleasantly. X-ray enabled (but not much there). I found no typos or formatting problems.

EDIT: opsie, I should have read the whole thread. My recommendation is the same as the one above, by ElspethB
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The Julie Rose translation is not available in US Kindle Store. Wilbour and Denny are, but priced $12.99 or so. The rest are most likely Hapgood. I got the Audiobook based on Rose and plan to follow along with what I assume is Hapgood, which could be interesting.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The Julie Rose translation is not available in US Kindle Store.
It appears there's no US eBook edition of Rose's version anywhere. There is a UK edition for folks that want to work around geo-restrictions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Denny is $2.99 tomsen. Look for movie tie-in edition.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Be aware, though, that the Denny translation is not as faithful as most of the others. Although not advertised as an abridgement, Denny took it upon himself to excise what he refers to as "passages of mediocrity and banality." He also moved two sections from the narrative and stuck them in an appendix.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote