Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
Kobo aura continues to look appealing!
Why the continued mention of the Kobo Aura?

We are not associated with Amazon in anyway, nor are we in competition with any other vendors or suppliers. This is not a place that is concerned with keeping Amazon's customer base, that is their (Amazon's) problem.

If you want to toss your paperwhite and purchase something else, then do so.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm

never used one... "Looks" like a near identical interface?

Each to their own
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right!
Just don't want to convince someone to keep something they don't like to start with.

Myself, since I am hip deep in Kindles and Kindle related stuff, brand choice is no longer an option here.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Only because the Kobo interface is customisable, it is therefore relevant to my point.
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it is indeed

caveat emptor
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=13
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
Sideromelane
FYIAD
Sideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Flipping the screen around 270 degrees would probably be the easiest option? Mind you, it took forever to get it implemented on android devices, but since the kindle supports 180 degree view it should be possible?
Sideromelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
IMO, all of the suggested solutions would really just be ugly hacks. Most importantly, they would be adversely affecting the overall usability of the device, whereas you really only want to affect the actual reader application.

I took a look at it, and the logic is hard-coded inside the reader application. From the 5.0.3 firmware (the last not-so-badly-obfuscated one):

Code:
if((float)a < 0.15F * (float)readerSDK.getUI().getReaderPane().getWidth())
    doPrevPageAction();
else
    doNextPageAction();
So the proper way would be to change that .15 value there to something suitable (and possibly the "<" to ">" if flipping is wanted).

JBPatch would be exactly the right tool for the job. Someone go ahead and write the patch so that it works on all supported firmwares, and I'll happily include it.

(This is probably a déjà-vu for many folks here, but anyway):
I would do it myself, if Lab126 weren't such dickheads. But because they are, JBPatch (and the patches) unfortunately have become a maintenance nightmare, and this is only going to get worse and worse with each new firmware release. So I'm not going to invest any more effort, because I know that every new firmware will mean even more (tedious, but boring) effort, only to adapt what was already working to their new obfuscation -- too much for one person.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Indeed,the Kobo CS is a concern and the fact that I cannot find a solid UK release date anywhere also does not bode well!

I prefer the Amazon ecosystem but the lighter weight and customisation options of the aura are appealing too.
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #24
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
IMO, all of the suggested solutions would really just be ugly hacks. Most importantly, they would be adversely affecting the overall usability of the device, whereas you really only want to affect the actual reader application.

I took a look at it, and the logic is hard-coded inside the reader application. From the 5.0.3 firmware (the last not-so-badly-obfuscated one):

Code:
if((float)a < 0.15F * (float)readerSDK.getUI().getReaderPane().getWidth())
    doPrevPageAction();
else
    doNextPageAction();
So the proper way would be to change that .15 value there to something suitable (and possibly the "<" to ">" if flipping is wanted).

JBPatch would be exactly the right tool for the job. Someone go ahead and write the patch so that it works on all supported firmwares, and I'll happily include it.

(This is probably a déjà-vu for many folks here, but anyway):
I would do it myself, if Lab126 weren't such dickheads. But because they are, JBPatch (and the patches) unfortunately have become a maintenance nightmare, and this is only going to get worse and worse with each new firmware release. So I'm not going to invest any more effort, because I know that every new firmware will mean even more (tedious, but boring) effort, only to adapt what was already working to their new obfuscation -- too much for one person.

Thanks very very much for this mate
Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks very very much for this mate
Hehe... no problem. It actually took 5 minutes to find it

Would take another 10 minutes to find it in the obfuscated firmwares, and maybe one or two hours to write a patch. Problem is: that is (more or less) for each firmware version.

I see one possibility: declare that the only FW versions that JBPatch supports are 5.1.2, 5.3.2.1, and 5.3.4 - and continue to create patches for these firmwares only. But then again, fewer and fewer people are going to want to stick to these.

It could all be so easy if Lab126 weren't so damn stubborn, and either stopped their stupid obfuscation war on terr^wdevelopers, or finally started listening to what their customers want. (Well, they at least provided multi-dictionary lookup with 5.3.8).
Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
twobob

I totally agree.

I can actually understand why they might have done it "back in the day" when they were hoping to protect their profits from tethering, and even possibly what they thought of as "Groundbreaking Intellectual property" (we all like to delude ourselves) but honestly now it just seems like petulance. It's not like we haven't all had a look under the hood. They are hardly doing "earth-shattering new things" with rare and exotic technology; more like doing "okay" things pretty well with what is ostensibly - for the most part - shoulder-standing giant emulation.

Ah well. No doubt someone somewhere is convincing his/her boss that the decision to pay that exorbitant amount of money for the obfuscation licensing was not a complete waste of money. Seen it in action in the professional world. As no doubt have you.

Facts seem quite simple really, we should look to port an entire new OS to the range at some point in the distant. And have done with this pettiness.

Foot. Shoot. Self.

Seen that in action too.

Last edited by twobob; 09-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Facts seem quite simple really, we should look to port an entire new OS to the range at some point in the distant. And have done with this pettiness.
None of our regular readers here for the past year+ would be surprised at my choice.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
ixtab
(offline)

First attempt

Last edited by ixtab; 09-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
dnelson
dnelson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post

• I use it left handed and turning the page is not comfortable.
I'm a lefty too, and don't have much of a problem turning pages. The touch recognizes swipes (I assume your PW does too since it's newer), so if I'm holding it with my left hand, swiping my thumb up and to the left turns the page forward. It doesn't need to be a large swipe, either. Just 1-2 cm is enough. I can also tap the screen with the tip of my thumb, which can reach far enough past the left edge that it's within the "forward page" zone.

That said, it would me really nice if an extra "forward page" zone could be added to the lower-left corner. Or maybe just make all taps go forward, and if you really need to go back, do a swipe.
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
implicant
implicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud ofimplicant has much to be proud of

Device: Paperwhite
There is another option, maybe not ideal one but still. You can use Coolreader for paperwhite which allows you to customize actions done by pressing each part of the screen.
Here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148850
And here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89#post2278589
implicant is offline   Reply With Quote