Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It makes me wonder if they may possibly have found a solution at last. I'm expecting mine tomorrow, the one they say should be perfect, but mine is a 3G, so I don't know if that will make a difference. If it has problems, I'm going to ask Andrew for a 603 Wifi, just to see. I don't need the 3G, they upgraded me free due to all the problems.

You are getting another one? Please keep us posted, as mine I ordered on Dec 17 I kept because it was the best out of the three others I recieved and basically settled although it has light coloration making half the page look murky. If they have finally sorted the screen problems out maybe I'll be able to return it for a screen without colorations even though its past 30 days.

Dennis
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
You are getting another one? Please keep us posted, as mine I ordered on Dec 17 I kept because it was the best out of the three others I recieved and basically settled although it has light coloration making half the page look murky. If they have finally sorted the screen problems out maybe I'll be able to return it for a screen without colorations even though its past 30 days.

Dennis
I'm sure if you found the right Kindle CS rep you could get yours exchanged for a new one. The problem will be the will want to send you a replacement which will be a used older one. You'd have to get the right person to really listen to you. Good luck if you decide to try.

I'm getting another because Andrew from Kindle Customer Service has remained in contact with me to try and resolve the issue for me. I asked him to call me if they find a resolution. This was awhile back. Yesterday, out of the blue, he called me and said they've fixed the problem and want to send me another one. I'm hopeful on one hand, but skeptical on the other. I'll definitely let everyone know how it is.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #33
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Will be waiting for your report *if* they're finally churning out good ones, I might just be tempted!
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Will be waiting for your report *if* they're finally churning out good ones, I might just be tempted!
The current ones seem absolutely fine to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The slip cases from Waterfield are good quality too. Mine came in today's mail. It is a snug (but not overtight) fit over the Paperwhite. I (carefully) turned the slip case upside down after putting my Paperwhite inside and it didn't slide out so much as an inch. The inside is nicely padded with what feels like a flexible card material (cardboard or plastic) between the inner and outer layer of the case as added protection for the screen. And the material inside is soft enough that it's very unlikely to scratch either the case or the screen by accident. So now I'll have some good protection for my Paperwhite if I decide to take it on the go with me.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Congrats with your PW

Today I was at my aunt's, to update her (my former) Touch. The Touch is a bit heavier, and feels more compact than the PW. Also, I like it's back more: attracts no finger prints. The PW does. On the other hand, I like it that the PW is black instead of gray-silver.

The software update makes the Touch into a PW without light. If they had released a new Kindle with the new software and no front light, I would not have upgraded. But that front light is tha bomb... It has spoiled me. There is no comparison. I can't read on a non-front lighted reader anymore, having to find a place with enough light. Using the PW, I can read everywhere and make the light as weak or strong as I want or need.

Heck, because of the PW (and consistent print quality between books, font sizes, etc) I'm starting to even dislike real books (paperbacks at least)...

My PW is batch 502, pre-ordered in Germany on the day it appeared on the site. It got delivered in the first week of December, 2 weeks earlier than foretold by Amazon Germany. The screen is absolutely perfect, only showing the expected slight unevenness of the LED-lighting on the bottom.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Now that I know where the batch number is I've checked on my Amazon account. My batch is 502. I hope that's going to be OK.

I've been watching the UPS tracker to monitor the progress of the package from US to Australia. It's in Sydney at the moment and apparently it's still on time to get to me by tomorrow close of business.

So excited!!!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now that I know where the batch number is I've checked on my Amazon account. My batch is 502. I hope that's going to be OK.

I've been watching the UPS tracker to monitor the progress of the package from US to Australia. It's in Sydney at the moment and apparently it's still on time to get to me by tomorrow close of business.

So excited!!!
Hope you enjoy it caleb72. I'm having a lot of fun with my new Paperwhite.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #39
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
My Paperwhite should be arriving sometime today. I can't wait! I hope it's a good one- it's a 603.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #40
eggy7
eggy7 began at the beginning.

Device: mtmt1520@gmail.com
Thumbs up I am going to change my old one

I am going to change my old one, here are many good ideas.
eggy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Checked UPS. Arrived in Melbourne this morning and has already started it's journey out from there.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #42
caleb72
Indie Advocate

OK - so I've got the PW. I haven't had much time to look at it. I can see what's meant by uneven lighting.

Not so sure about these splotches, clouds etc.. I may not be sensitive enough to them. I took a photo and the result looked quite different from what I'm seeing with my eyes, so maybe the camera is catching something that I'm not seeing.

Anyway - I haven't had any reading time yet, and I think I will need to do some of that before I understand if something is wrong or not. At the same time I have to be careful not to invent problems that aren't really problems for me.

Just to be clear - if I want the optimum setting for there to be problems, what would it be - lighting up full?

So in the last month, I've got a Galaxy Note (1st version) through work and now the new Kindle PW. I'm feeling a bit special at the moment.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK - so I've got the PW. I haven't had much time to look at it. I can see what's meant by uneven lighting.

Not so sure about these splotches, clouds etc.. I may not be sensitive enough to them. I took a photo and the result looked quite different from what I'm seeing with my eyes, so maybe the camera is catching something that I'm not seeing.

Anyway - I haven't had any reading time yet, and I think I will need to do some of that before I understand if something is wrong or not. At the same time I have to be careful not to invent problems that aren't really problems for me.

Just to be clear - if I want the optimum setting for there to be problems, what would it be - lighting up full?

So in the last month, I've got a Galaxy Note (1st version) through work and now the new Kindle PW. I'm feeling a bit special at the moment.
I know what you mean about the 'special' feeling. I've rarely won anything before so being one of the lucky winners of the winter contest was a unexpected, but welcome, surprise. It was a bit of an adjustment to get used to the sensitivity of the touch screen at first and I still occasionally tap the wrong thing (drop down menu instead of bookmark) but I haven't really noticed any of the problems that others have mentioned either.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #44
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I did some reading tonight and my first thought was that I don't particularly like the lighted screen at the highest settings. It's not so much about hideous splotches of colour - I just find it too bright. Perhaps the screen might have a bit of a blue tinge with the lighting and particularly in the lower left corner it almost looks like there's a light on the side there that is probably just some sort of bleed. That bothers me a little because my eyes distinguish it when I get to the bottom of each page, but I'm not sure if it's anything to really get upset about.

I read for a couple of hours tonight with the light setting at 12 and I found it quite reasonable.

I loved the "time left..." progress markers and actually it time left in book to get a good feel for whether I should aim for finishing the book tonight. Lovely idea.

For the font I'm using Caecilia with medium line spacing and the widest settings for margins. Seems pretty similar to the last Kindle. Not sure if I'll get terribly experimental with fonts or not - although I liked a font that Jon posted recently.

I like the size and the touch screen. The new interface is pretty nice to use as well.

Battery is going down a bit faster than I'd like, but I'll keep an eye on that. You tend to move around screens alot when you initially get a device. My use may well change quite a bit once I get comfortable with it and the battery may deplete less quickly.

Anyway - so far so good. Although I may have a couple of doubts here and there about the screen, I'm not sure if it's more a case of me being influenced by the reports of others or if I genuinely have some reservations. But I'm not huffing mad at this point, so that's a good sign.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #45
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I read for a couple of hours tonight with the light setting at 12 and I found it quite reasonable.
My preferred setting is 13, in most places in my home If there is a lot of light, then I just turn down the lighting. The only thing it does then, is make the page a little whiter, and eat a lot of power. Strange thing is: I actually also prefer setting 12-13 in pitch black darkness. When going lower, the contrast becomes too low.

Quote:
I loved the "time left..." progress markers and actually it time left in book to get a good feel for whether I should aim for finishing the book tonight. Lovely idea.
And it's quite accurate too. It never misses the mark by more than half a minute when reading a chapter. I use it to judge if I should start a new chapter when I still have other things to do. If it says "35 minutes left", and I have to go to an appointment in 20 minutes, I usually don't start the chapter. Use it more than I thought it would.

Quote:
Battery is going down a bit faster than I'd like, but I'll keep an eye on that. You tend to move around screens alot when you initially get a device. My use may well change quite a bit once I get comfortable with it and the battery may deplete less quickly.
You can be sure of this. When you have found your preferred font and size, and set the device as you like it, the only thing you pretty much do is open a book and turn pages. (As it should be.) The battery life is comparable to my previous Kindle Touch; a bit less, because of the backlight, but not worryingly so. It lasts long enough to make that I forget when I charged it last

Quote:
Anyway - so far so good. Although I may have a couple of doubts here and there about the screen, I'm not sure if it's more a case of me being influenced by the reports of others or if I genuinely have some reservations. But I'm not huffing mad at this point, so that's a good sign.
With regard to the screen: I took some pictures of mine to show to others, and let me tell you, the least of focusing errors creates lens abberations such as a green or pink cast around letters (chromatic abberations). Pictures don't always show how the screen looks in real life. Just look at it, at your prefferred lighting settings, and if it's good, then it's good. I wouldn't go and actively try to find something to fault. You'll go crazy.

Have fun with the PW

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-31-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote