Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #106
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tjayz~ View Post
I'm in Portland, SW Vic...
And a lovely part of the world it is! But yes, sadly, not very close to OW.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #107
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Well I bought a plastic bubble wrap bag (for lack of better description) from the post office today, $1.

That's what I use as my protective cover for my Glo .... it's excellent!!

I also have one for my lap top, and my tablet - been using them for ages. They bubble wrap shock protects the contents, and keeps them water proof to boot, especially when carried in the day back pack with lunch and fruit and assorted other junk!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #108
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I also have one for my lap top, and my tablet - been using them for ages. They bubble wrap shock protects the contents, and keeps them water proof to boot, especially when carried in the day back pack with lunch and fruit and assorted other junk!!
Bubblewrap will shock protect it, but it won't protect it from bending and twisting forces, which are a very common way to break the substrate.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #109
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Huh. Anyone notice that the Glo has now fallen off the JB HiFi website altogether?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #110
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Huh. Anyone notice that the Glo has now fallen off the JB HiFi website altogether?
I rang JB hifi in Brisbane today, they have 1 in stock and I'm picking it up today. So they're still selling them,
will post later if I actually get it.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #111
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harris Tech still showing no units in stock.

Harvey Norman are showing in stock in the 3 Sydney city stores and also my local store.

Office Works seem to have a reasonable supply at their Sydney and suburban stores.

Wonder if JB Hifi have had a lot of back orders to fill, or people have rushed in to buy them. Although as they only apparently got 800 units, Aus wide, that could account for the sell out. Got to say though, when the chap opened the stock cupboard when I bought mine, there were approx 15 black units there.

Hope that helps anyone still looking to buy a Glo.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #112
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just got a Black Glo from JB hifi in Mt Ommaney (Brisbane QLD).
I originally went to pick oneup from Indooropilly, but they only had white ones, which I didn't want.
On the upside they had loads of white ones in stock.
They had several black ones in stock in Mt Ommaney and lots of whites.

I got a nice cover for it as well which when you open it it takes it out of sleep mode automatically.

Now to set it up.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #113
danskmacabre
Guru

BTW, I got mine for $149 at JBhifi.
I bought the Kobo branded cover, which automatically takes it out of sleep mode and back on as you open and close the cover.
This feature can be disabled if you like via a setting on the Glo.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #114
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I exchanged my Glo at JB HiFi today (bright pixels). They asked no questions. Were seriously uninterested in why I was exchanging it.

Considering the number of stores that JB has, and the stack of Glos that I've seen at two stores, I think they got more than 800 for all of Australia. I'd believe 800 for a state, though.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #115
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I exchanged my Glo at JB HiFi today (bright pixels). They asked no questions. Were seriously uninterested in why I was exchanging it.
What do you mean by "bright pixels"

What do they look like on an eink device?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #116
danskmacabre
Guru

NM I found this thread which describes what they look like
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=192807&page=2

I'm happy to report after turning on the backlight in a dark room and looking it at lots of angles and at different brightness settings I have no bright/dead pixels.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #117
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
What do you mean by "bright pixels"

What do they look like on an eink device?
'Bright Pixels' are bright pinpoints on the top of the light layer. They are small (approx pixel sized), but are not in the eInk screen but the light layer on top.

While the purpose of the light layer is to direct the light down, the bright pixels direct the light up, which is very annoying when trying to read in the dark.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #118
Sezza_e
Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: KOBO Glo
As this is my first ereader not too sure on any free sites to get books - new release etc.

Any suggestions?
Sezza_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #119
danskmacabre
Guru

You can get loads of legal and free ebooks from the "ebooks" menu option at the top of this forum.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #120
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezza_e View Post
As this is my first ereader not too sure on any free sites to get books - new release etc.

Any suggestions?
Sezza glad to hear that it's finally arrived!!

Here's a link to the Kobo free ebooks page:

http://www.kobobooks.com/free_ebooks

Here is the link to the Sony ebookstore:

https://ebookstore.sony.com/search?filters=74

Have you downloaded Calibre?