Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #91
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Is the Glo compatible with Overdrive? I'm thinking of upgrading DH's little Eco reader so that he can borrow from the library, but no point if it don't work. I just checked the Overdrive site and it doesn't mention the Glo.

TIA
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #92
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can't download directly from the library to the Kobo; instead you need to download it to the PC via ADE and then sync from ADE to the Glo (or Touch or Mini).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #93
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Haven't bought a Sleepcover yet, because I'm still undecided. Anyone know the best place in Perth (northernish preferred) to comparison shop hands-on?
Well, I looked at the "PU Leather" one. The inside was fine - I want the fitted clips, not a kludged-up case with elastic straps - but the outer fake leather was horrible. Really slick plastic, quite revolting to hold, at least to my hands/fingers.

My local Collins has nothing - no Glos, no cases - and they're referring people who ask about Kobos to Dick Smith. Eyeroll. I can't find out still where to look at fabric/leather ones here, and I really don't want to buy online. Grumble.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #94
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You can't download directly from the library to the Kobo; instead you need to download it to the PC via ADE and then sync from ADE to the Glo (or Touch or Mini).
Really? Then what's the point of having wifi? But it is compatible with Overdrive?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Really? Then what's the point of having wifi? But it is compatible with Overdrive?
You can sync with the Kobo server for books you bought from them. There is also a browser than can be used to browse the web. You can download books using the browser, but I doubt if you can download from Overdrive.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #96
amward
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can sync with the Kobo server for books you bought from them. There is also a browser than can be used to browse the web. You can download books using the browser, but I doubt if you can download from Overdrive.
Well I'm really disappointed! I thought that you could download library books directly onto the device. Might still get one for DH but I'll stick with my Sony, there wouldn't be any advantage in getting a Kobo for myself. Thank goodness for this forum.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #97
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
My local Collins has nothing - no Glos, no cases - and they're referring people who ask about Kobos to Dick Smith. Eyeroll. I can't find out still where to look at fabric/leather ones here, and I really don't want to buy online. Grumble.
JB HiFi has accessories and devices.

Strange that Collins has nothing, since they are allegedly the distributor in Australia. I was expecting them to have the stuff before everyone else.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #98
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The only Glo accessories that I found at JB Hifi (including yesterday) were the sleep covers, and the mini covers.

Only Kobo brand, nothing else.

I'm guessing that to get a reasonable choice it's going to have to be an import job.

I've been following this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192141
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #99
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
The only Glo accessories that I found at JB Hifi (including yesterday) were the sleep covers, and the mini covers.
Sadly, the only ones at my JB are the disgusting plastic ones. What I really want is the purple fabric one, but they don't seem to be in Australia at all. I may have to settle for leather from A&R just by default, but that's a really high price to pay for a cover sight unseen, I reckon.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #100
Sezza_e
Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.Sezza_e for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: KOBO Glo
Hi, I purchased a pink fabric ereader cover from Big w on the weekend for $24.00. Its not made for a glo but for 6" ereaders and fits great. They had about 7 different ones to choose from.
Sezza_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #101
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Sezza_e, I'll check them out.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #102
~tjayz~
~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
Angry

Well I've had it up to here with Collins I pre ordered a Glo from them back in September... I knew no one locally would be selling them so had to order online and I thought Collins would be as good, if not better, than anyone. Big mistake!

Fast forward to mid November when they advised me the Glo would be released in Australia the first week in December. On Monday this week I asked if mine had been sent yet; they replied that they were expecting the shipment the next day and would send out all pre orders immediately.

Today, as I had heard no more I emailed again only to be told that their shipment had only been sent to them yesterday and so it "should" arrive there tomorrow. With deliveries taking so much longer than usual at this time of year I'll be lucky if I get my Glo before Xmas....

I know from this thread that if I'd ordered from Bookworld I'd have a Glo in my hot little hands by now... thanks for nothing, Collins!
~tjayz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #103
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tjayz~ View Post
Today, as I had heard no more I emailed again only to be told that their shipment had only been sent to them yesterday and so it "should" arrive there tomorrow. With deliveries taking so much longer than usual at this time of year I'll be lucky if I get my Glo before Xmas....

I know from this thread that if I'd ordered from Bookworld I'd have a Glo in my hot little hands by now... thanks for nothing, Collins!
Hear hear - Kobo/Collins seems to have screwed up their distribution, and their communications, royally. Where are you in Victoria? Most of the regional centres seem to have an Officeworks with stock (though you'd be best to ring first if you've got a bit of a journey to get to one).
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #104
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tjayz~ View Post
Well I've had it up to here with Collins I pre ordered a Glo from them back in September... I knew no one locally would be selling them so had to order online and I thought Collins would be as good, if not better, than anyone. Big mistake!

Fast forward to mid November when they advised me the Glo would be released in Australia the first week in December. On Monday this week I asked if mine had been sent yet; they replied that they were expecting the shipment the next day and would send out all pre orders immediately.

I think that because of the inconvenience they've caused you should get them to price match HT.com.au (Harris Tech) at $138.

Or get them to throw in a Kobo case.

You won't know if you'll be successful until you try.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #105
~tjayz~
~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
Quote:
Hear hear - Kobo/Collins seems to have screwed up their distribution, and their communications, royally. Where are you in Victoria? Most of the regional centres seem to have an Officeworks with stock (though you'd be best to ring first if you've got a bit of a journey to get to one).
I'm in Portland, SW Vic... I think there's an Officeworks 100km from here but don't want to bother travelling right now. I think I'll stick with Collins and do as Lynx-lynx suggests and try to get them to throw in a Kobo case. Hmmm... what's the betting they'll say they haven't had a shipment of cases?!
~tjayz~ is offline   Reply With Quote