Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Who ARE you people?

Hi all. I'm an avid reader and wannabe polymath and "renaissance man". I already have an extensive collection of paper books. I'm also a heavy duty computer scientist - and am very excited that technology has matured to the point of having useful and workable "electric books"! I got a Sony Reader about a week ago and am generally ecstatic with it. I found your site - and it seems to be one of the best.

But who are you people? There seems to be a lot of work by "volunteers". Yet the quality is high. Is there money in this or are you all just a bunch of zealots? Just asking.
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
zealots.

some of us are also probably insane.

welcome.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Nobody pays me for my books. And ours are much better than the Sony free classics. We just love books and want to see them converted properly.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Have you seen the Wiki? If you think the site looks good,then you will be surprised by how great the Wiki is.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patricia would of course be one of the ones who is probably at least near-certifiable. she's also the member single-handedly responsible for the majority of our over 5.000, beautifully presented, multi-format, completely free and available for the sheer pleasure of sharing the love of a good book with anyone who cares to download it, ebooks. i, with my paltry handlful of contributions, am in constant awe of her. you will be too, as soon as you get to know her, it's ineluctable. just don't mention squirrels.

Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
As a new convert to the zealot ranks (yesterday, I posted my first e-Book converted from Project Gutenberg text), I can only speak for myself. I decided to make e-Books because of:
  • the challenge -- I'm a computer geek, too, and the conversion software wasn't very easy to use. I was determined it wasn't going to get the best of me.
  • the end product -- Having read messages on factors that make a high-quality e-Book, I wanted to try my hand against that standard. (Note that I still don't know how to make curly quotes, but I will find out.)
  • the vacuum -- of the thousands and thousands of public domain books, there's a large number not yet available for e-Book readers. And, since it is a bit labor-intensive to produce a well-made book, I'm willing to give a little bit of time to improve the quality of what's available.
and most importantly, because of:
  • the fun.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I'm just a lovable wanna-be.

Actually, I too work in the software field, and play guitar, write poetry, and am currently trying to learn to draw. Love of books is a given.

You sound like the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with. With whom I'd like to have a beer. Whatever.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedPark View Post
But who are you people? There seems to be a lot of work by "volunteers". Yet the quality is high. Is there money in this or are you all just a bunch of zealots? Just asking.
Hmm... welcome.

So, you are not saying that quality can't be produced by volunteers are you? See Linux if you think that is the case.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

insane, hyper-friendly zealots (with a few lovable wanna-bes thrown in for variety).

be not afraid, though. very few of us bite.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Welcome, Ted. Arf! I come here for the doughnuts and chocolate. Arf! Arf!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi TedPark. Good answers from the always informative and accurate Zelda_Pinwheel and our eBook goddess, Particia.

We're like bookworms on crack! Lot of Karma whores too.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
We're like bookworms on crack!
PERFECT DESCRIPTION!!

In a perfect world, I would be able to finish one book and go directly into the next with missing a beat. Oh wait, that's what has happened since I got my EB-1150!

Welcome - and it's too late to save yourself now. If you aren't yet addicted to your Sony, you will be soon.

PS - We also proselytize by constantly demonstrating our devices for the unenlightened masses who are still using antiquated paper books.

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-08-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Such as the unenlightened masses at the DMV the other day. My device was a big hit in the 2-hr waiting line.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
We are also a bunch of smart cookies. This is such an impressive thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...evel+education

Not everyone is a computer expert. (Not me, for example.) There is a wide variety of backgrounds and educational levels amongst the usual MR cast of characters.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

"bookworms on crack" is in fact frighteningly apt.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Though some are on Crinkles
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness