Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cover Art for the Kindle

I've used Amazon's conversion service to convert some Word files (created via Google docs) into azw files. I have used Calibre to change the metadata so the correct author and title appear on my Kindle when I transfer them from Calibre to the Kindle. However, I would also like to insert a cover image into the document. I haven't figured out how to do so.

Can I use Calibre to add a cover image? If so, how?
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
setting metadata doesn;t insert covers. You have to convert for that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the information. After posting the question, I decided to take a different approach. (There were other things I would like to see in the Kindle doc that I couldn't figure out how to automate at all.)

Instead of creating the document in Word, sending it to Amazon, and then using Calibre to get it in the Kindle and to store on the PC, etc., I've switched over to Sigil.

I now create the original document as an ePub in Sigil (with cover, etc.), and then use Calibre to convert it to MOBI so that the whole thing works on my Kindle.

Even if Sigil ever creates MOBI (or other Kindle format) files directly, I think I'll still be using Calibre because of the library features.

Thanks for writing it and keeping it updated. When I can sneak some money past "She Who Must Be Obeyed," I'll send some your way. I can't complain about SWMBO too much; she and my kids bought me my Kindle for Christmas.
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Ambermonk
Enthusiast
Ambermonk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Fire HD6, Fire HD8
I put a cover in once using Mobipocket Creator. I was successful, but it seemed like a lot of extra trouble. I wish the Calibré Convert function could also append the metadata cover into the actual book - so that it would show up inside the Kindle.
Ambermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Ambermonk
Enthusiast

I stand corrected! Calibré does seem to have a 'cover include' function in the Import to Device screen.

I don't know if this is a new function, or if I just overlooked it when I first learned how to use Calibré.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
champagnedrinker
champagnedrinker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (3rd Gen: 3G)
Hi Ambermonk
Where was it in the Import to Kindle Device?

Granted, I see that you have a Kindle 2 & mine's a Kindle 3; I've had a look under preferences, and also the import to kindle button, but can't seem to see that option.

Given the first few comments, would the easiest thing be to remove everything that's on the Kindle, re-convert now that I've added images to the metadata & reupload?
champagnedrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Ambermonk
Enthusiast

Click on 'Convert Books.' Below the cover picture there is a checkbox that says:
"Use cover from source file"

If your book is not in mobi format, you will have to do the following...

1. Convert your book to mobi format
2. In Mobipocket Creator, load the book and add the cover you want inside the
book. Note: the cover must be inside the book - not external like Calibre
currently does.
3. Convert the book back to whatever format you prefer (.mobi is ok for kindle).
4. Send it back to your Kindle.

You asked...
"Given the first few comments, would the easiest thing be to remove everything that's on the Kindle, re-convert now that I've added images to the metadata & reupload?"

I don't think you want to do this. The Kindle will read your modified book as a non-Amazon book and you will not be able to use any of the Kindle features that deal with Amazon books (i.e., it will think your original book and your modified book are two different books).

If your original book was a non-amazon book to begin with (no .AZW) then this won't be much of an issue - except for all the trouble that you will have to go through.

Kovid may have chosen not to implement this feature in Calibre because of the .AZW DRM issue, but I still look forward to him implementing this feature in a future upgrade.

BTW, I have both a K2 & a K3 (my personal info was out of date).
Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amber,

All you have to do is select the cover that you want to use in the Calibre metadata editor, and THEN do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion. It's this conversion that inserts the cover into the book. If you then do a "Send to Device", your cover will show up on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Indeed.

Slight OT, but this is perhaps one of the only criticisms I have with calibre as this too was not very clear to me, and I have a good deal of expertise with metatags/covers from audio stuff.

Wishlist for calibre:
- maybe a button on the metatag editor page that says "insert this cover" for XYZ format? And then confirm? Click, bang, cover inserted. No need to do any conversions.

This prolly has been asked for before I would think...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Indeed.

Slight OT, but this is perhaps one of the only criticisms I have with calibre as this too was not very clear to me, and I have a good deal of expertise with metatags/covers from audio stuff.

Wishlist for calibre:
- maybe a button on the metatag editor page that says "insert this cover" for XYZ format? And then confirm? Click, bang, cover inserted. No need to do any conversions.

This prolly has been asked for before I would think...
Or perhaps, if you change the cover, a pop-up message warning you that the cover won't be inserted into the book until you do a conversion? This one fooled me, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Indeed, that would work as well to clear things up and still be fairly easy to implement I would think.

I assume Kovid has a feature request page somewhere for calibre?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Indeed, that would work as well to clear things up and still be fairly easy to implement I would think.

I assume Kovid has a feature request page somewhere for calibre?
Bugs/enhancement requests are entered the same way only the subject is different. Review this page for details.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Thanks!

Tags
cover art, kindle, metadata