Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
NiaTrue
Edge User

Returning Borrowed Library Books

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that you can no longer return borrowed books from the eDGe library?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I sideloaded a library book and put it in my library, I prefer the eink for reading most of the time. The info on the book does not indicate it's returnable, however, I read somewhere on a nook forum that library books will not open after the return date if the device connects to Adobe Digital editions. Then you just delete the item/book. I guess it works like burned audio media, you are supposed to delete/destroy after the lending period.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

That's the trouble: Prior to the Dingo release, borrowed books sideloaded onto the eDGe used to display (on their icon) a diagonal, blue banner once added to the library. The banner indicated the number of days left on the loan, for example, "21 days." Also, if you long-pressed on the book icon, one of the navigation options was "Return," after which, you'd get a prompt warning you that if you returned the book, you'd no longer have access to it.

That functionality appears to be gone.

It's too bad. I really liked being able to distinguish borrowed books from the others on sight and being able to return them--early, if I wanted.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Leslie
Edge User

Question please? How do you side load a library book to read on the eInk side? I got a library book the other day, but it wouldn't let me put it in my library for the ereader? Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

Check out this thread for detailed instructions on how to sideload books:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ull=1#post9853

Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Leslie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Check out this thread for detailed instructions on how to sideload books:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ull=1#post9853
Thank you!!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Leslie
Edge User

This worked great for my local library system, but when I download books from New York Public Library, and try to open the book (I can get it into my library ok), I get the message "This is a loaned document and the loan is not found." I followed the directions step by step multiple times, but still get the same message. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

"loan" would be the licensing information the eDGe needs from the ebook provider to indicate you're allowed to read the ebook you borrowed. Make sure you have internet connectivity (can you browse the web, send/receive email?). Try again tomorrow, and if it still doesn't work, you can try to contact NYPL's help desk, and/or enTourage Tech Support.

I'm looking forward to getting my own library card later this month, at which point I'll be able to try this public library ebook stuff first hand

Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Leslie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
"loan" would be the licensing information the eDGe needs from the ebook provider to indicate you're allowed to read the ebook you borrowed. Make sure you have internet connectivity (can you browse the web, send/receive email?). Try again tomorrow, and if it still doesn't work, you can try to contact NYPL's help desk, and/or enTourage Tech Support.

I'm looking forward to getting my own library card later this month, at which point I'll be able to try this public library ebook stuff first hand
Thank you for the answer!

I have tried it a couple of days in a row now. Yes, I have internet connectivity. I can access it on the LED (LCD??) side, but I wanted to read it on the eInk side like the ones from my local library system. Hmm. Maybe I don't actually have library privileges through NYPL because I don't live in NYC? Dunno!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I can access it on the LED (LCD??) side, but I wanted to read it on the eInk side like the ones from my local library system. Hmm. Maybe I don't actually have library privileges through NYPL because I don't live in NYC? Dunno!
What app are you using to read it on the LCD side?

I would recommend you talk to enTourage Tech Support (www.entourageedge.com/support) tomorrow as they may know of differences at NYPL regarding ebooks.

I kind of doubt your location matters. If you could sign out the book from NYPL, you should be able to read it.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
NiaTrue
Edge User

Leslie, I borrow a lot from NYPL. You must first open the book on your PC/Mac using Adobe Digital Editions. And the first time you open it on your eDGe, you should have Internet connectivity. I sometimes have to attempt to open the file several times before it actually opens. (I'm assuming you have library privileges/valid library card or you wouldn't be able to download the book.) After that, you can open it without being on the net.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Leslie
Edge User

Overdrive Media Console.
Thanks! I will get in touch with them!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
Leslie
Edge User

Quote:
Leslie, I borrow a lot from NYPL. You must first open the book on your PC/Mac using Adobe Digital Editions. And the first time you open it on your eDGe, you should have Internet connectivity. I sometimes have to attempt to open the file several times before it actually opens. (I'm assuming you have library privileges/valid library card or you wouldn't be able to download the book.) After that, you can open it without being on the net.
Thank you Nia. I opened it thru ADE. I can't get it to load on the eInk side tho, which is where I was hoping to read from.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
You must first open the book on your PC/Mac using Adobe Digital Editions.
Any idea why this has to be first done from a PC rather than from the eDGe itself? Does it somehow complete the loan process, so that the eDGe can then open it as a "loaned" book?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
NiaTrue
Edge User

Overdrive Media Console is your problem (also see my previous post). Having it installed means it will automatically make itself the default for most of your ereading downloads. Still, if you side load files onto your device using either a flash drive or the mini USB cord, instead of opening them through Overdrive, you can read them on the eink screen. Just remember to open them on your pc first.

Overdrive became so problematic for me that I uninstallled it.