Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Missing chapters when converting Kobo epub

I bought a Jack Vance mystery this morning from Kobo and downloaded the DRM free epub to my Mac. Then I added it to calibre (version 0.8.41) and converted to mobi. Somehow it removed the first two chapters (and all the gobbledygook before that) during the conversion, it even removes the chapters from the Table of Contents. I've tried converting epub to epub, same result, the first two chapters are missing due to the conversion. There really are Chapters I and II, they show up fine in the calibre reader and ADE when I open the original downloaded epub.

Is there some setting or tweak I need to change to convert Kobo epubs with calibre?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this a proper ePub or is it a Kobo messed up ePub?

Also, I don't think this can be sorted by anyone unless the code is shown.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It wasn't DRM'd, so the there was no option for downloading an Adobe epub. I suppose that means I got Kobo's weird epub that I've seen mentioned occasionally. Oh well, it's not worth fussing with, I'll read it on my computer and spend no more of my money at Kobo (this was my first attempt at purchasing a book there).
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It wasn't DRM'd, so the there was no option for downloading an Adobe epub. I suppose that means I got Kobo's weird epub that I've seen mentioned occasionally. Oh well, it's not worth fussing with, I'll read it on my computer and spend no more of my money at Kobo (this was my first attempt at purchasing a book there).
Have you thought of maybe getting in touch with their Support who frankly have been very good at resolving formatting issues within their books......

I do know that some others will disagree with me; so be it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Their not-really-an-epub books usually have a .kepub file extension when downloaded.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you thought of maybe getting in touch with their Support who frankly have been very good at resolving formatting issues within their books......

I do know that some others will disagree with me; so be it.
I emailed them straight away, although since the glitch only shows up when the file is converted I doubt they'll be much help. They did load a fresh copy of the book in my account, in case mine was somehow corrupted, but conversion still eats the first two chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Their not-really-an-epub books usually have a .kepub file extension when downloaded.
This one has .epub for its extension, so it's likely that there is a specific problem with the formatting of this particular book. I only made the thread to ask if there was some tick box or tweak I needed for Kobo conversions since I hadn't done any before. I've not had any problems converting epub files from other sources with calibre.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll just read the book on my computer and chalk this problem up to a glitch in the formatting.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-19-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this ePub display properly in ADE? If it does, then it's nothing Kobo can do about it. It's maybe a Calibre issue. But we can't tell without seeing the code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Arjen
Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: iPhone
Can you let me know which ebook you bought? If you send me the receipt, I will gladly send you the Kindle version (which is also available from jackvance.com and especially formatted for perfect display on the Kindle).

You can send me an email at arjen at jackvance.com
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Can you let me know which ebook you bought? If you send me the receipt, I will gladly send you the Kindle version (which is also available from jackvance.com and especially formatted for perfect display on the Kindle).

You can send me an email at arjen at jackvance.com
Thank you very much, I've sent you an email.