Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
RFA07
RFA07 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Previwing .epub files

Hello:

I'm looking for a way to preview <.epub> files, much the same as what the 'Win7-PreviewPane' does for other select files.

The 'W7-P.P' is not set up to do this for <.epub>, unless you have the savvy to go into the Win Registry, and do some fiddling in there.

I want to be able to preview each of (300 +/-) *.epub's to setup an Excel Catalog of my epub ebooks.

Are there any <.pub previewers> available, or any other good ideas
kicking around?

Thank you,
r
RFA07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One way to create an Excel Catalog of ebooks it to use Calibre. Import all your ebooks into Calibre, select all the ebooks and under the Convert books icon select "create a catalog". If you include the cover as a column in the spreadsheet what you get is the path to the cover JPG that Calibre produces.

Once you see what Calibre can do, you may not need a spreadsheet. One thing it can do is get better cover images for ebooks that lack them (under Edit Metadata).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
RFA07

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
One way to create an Excel Catalog of ebooks it to use Calibre. Import all your ebooks into Calibre, select all the ebooks and under the Convert books icon select "create a catalog". If you include the cover as a column in the spreadsheet what you get is the path to the cover JPG that Calibre produces.

Once you see what Calibre can do, you may not need a spreadsheet. One thing it can do is get better cover images for ebooks that lack them (under Edit Metadata).
.................................................. .........................................

Hi again,
Thank you "Wallcraft" I will experiment; I'm a newbe at all of this so haven't
used Calibre, so we'll see what trouble I can get in to!

First, a question please:
The main reason I need to make a catalog of all the names of the ebook's is that 99% of them don't have names but are numbered, i.e. 1234.epub; 5678.epub; etc; etc.

(Please don't ask me why!! I thought I was being very clever when I stored them on a CD until I got an EReader).
So now I need to catalog them so they have names again, will Calibre do this?
Will it find each <.epub ebooks name> or will it just look at the <.epub prefix>
and list all the ebooks numerically? If it does then we are no further forward
than where I was, when they were stored on the CD.

Thanks,
r
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
If the .epubs have the title/author in the metadata, Calibre by default will pull that info and use it to rename the .epub and fill the database fields.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As Keroberos said, Calibre does not care about filenames. It makes its own copy of each ebook, and names them based on the metadata that is inside the ePub. Once the ebooks are in Calibre, you can edit their metadata, including the cover.

If you want a new copy with sensible filenames on your PC use "Save to Disk", but I just use Calibre as my PC repository for ebooks.

There is lots of help at the Calibre web site, plus its forum here. For a quick introduction, see Dear Jane's Setting Up a New Library with Calibre: Essential Plugins and Getting to Know Metadata.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
RFA07

Thank you!
This is so great.......... and such wonderful help!
Cheers!