Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Calibre Really Needs a Sync Function

I've been adding a couple hundred books via Calibre over the past few days.

During this process I discovered that if you accidentally click on a column to order the books by anything other than date, when you click sort by date they don't sort the same each time!

No problem you all say, right? Normally I would say so too, but when you've added 300 books and are proofing the metadata and uploading them to your reader about 30 at a time, this throws a huge kink in the works. Once the order is changed you can't tell which ones you've already uploaded! I previously was tagging the last uploaded books with the imaginative "last uploaded" tag, to keep track. But once the order is changed in some random way I can't figure out, that tag is now meaningless.

So now I'm totally lost and don't know which books are on my reader, which aren't and which I've accidentally uploaded twice in the confusion. A sync feature would have been a great help. Short of deleting all 800+ books off the reader and re-uploading them, I don't know any other way to fix this.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
rhk
rhk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I know what you mean. My fancy way of dealing with that is tags like:
- to do (meta fixed, ready to upload)
- done (already have had it on my kindle)
- don't do (don't want to put it on my kindle)

Sometimes, I also add the "1-save" so it sorts at the top when the "to do" isn't enough.

etc.
rhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A sync feature is on the TODO list, be patient, only so many hours in the day
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
rhk

Kovid, no complaints from my end, I'm thrilled to have Calibre. It's great!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't get me wrong. I *heart* Calibre. It saved me from returning my PRS-700 since the Sony software is a buggy useless piece of crap that couldn't get my ebooks properly onto the reader. I sent money for it because it is worth way more than free.

The lack of sync is a big issue when adding a lot of ebooks. It is my only serious complaint. I don't want to mess around with 'uploaded' and 'not uploaded' or whatever tags, because I'll invariably forget to remove some and have them show up as Collections on the reader.

If Calibre always sorted things in the same order when Sort by Date was chosen I could do without the sync function. It's the combination of the two issues together that have me stymied.

-Marcy
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
lattiboy
lattiboy began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick
Agreed on this feature. I love Calibre (it's probably the most impressive freeware I've used since the original Winamp), but some kind of sync feature would kick some serious butt.

thanks for all the hard work kovidgoyal!
lattiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A sync function is not that simple as it has to take account of issues such as:
  • Tracking books that should NOT be synced to the device. I have far too many books in my library to be able to sync them all but I would not mind a very simple way to sync new books I have added to the library (unless I explicitly mark them as NOT to be synced).
  • What if I re-convert a book - should that now be synced?
  • If I delete a book from the device (which I do when I have read them) will calibre remember it has previously been synced and not put it back.
Issues such as these are not insurmountable but they all add to the complexity of a good sync solution.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
rhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
A sync function is not that simple as it has to take account of issues such as:
  • Tracking books that should NOT be synced to the device. I have far too many books in my library to be able to sync them all but I would not mind a very simple way to sync new books I have added to the library (unless I explicitly mark them as NOT to be synced).
  • What if I re-convert a book - should that now be synced?
  • If I delete a book from the device (which I do when I have read them) will calibre remember it has previously been synced and not put it back.
Issues such as these are not insurmountable but they all add to the complexity of a good sync solution.
I agree with you - my tag system isn't perfect but works for me to solve the problems you mention above. I just wish there was a way to sort by the tags on the Kindle. Oh well
Old 12-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I disagree, because I do not want everything in my library on my reader - it just gets in the way. I only want my to-be-read books on my reader. Now if the sync functionality works based on that sort of classification then it might be useful, but not in general.

besides you can use Beyond Compare (or other diff programs) if you are trying to sync directories up. I use it to keep my main ebook and calibre directories backed up.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I disagree, because I do not want everything in my library on my reader - it just gets in the way. I only want my to-be-read books on my reader. Now if the sync functionality works based on that sort of classification then it might be useful, but not in general.

besides you can use Beyond Compare (or other diff programs) if you are trying to sync directories up. I use it to keep my main ebook and calibre directories backed up.
Maybe making up sync list like you can on iTunes
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If/when I do implement sync, it will be optional and very customizable. But as itimpi pointed out there are various issues with sync for people that don't maintain exact copies of their libraries on their devices. Plus there have to be major changes in the current driver infrastructure to support sync, so it will take a while
Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My 2 cents.
I would just like an integrated display ("On Device" column, that shows me , which title (a Format icon would be great) of the titles currently found. (An Inner Join) of the Internal storage or Memory card listing display.
No actual media would move to or from the device.
Optionally, an Outer Join Highlighted (on the storage device list, for media found ONLY on the device and not in the Library (Standard exclusions apply :P ).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Marcy
Guru

As an alternative suggestion, is there a way to have two windows open for Calibre? If I could have one open with the list of what's in my Calibre library and another with what's on my ebook it would be almost as useful. It's the flipping between the two that is totally painful. The Calibre search is quite slow -- when I type a word it is a few seconds before the results pop up.

-Marcy
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, you can't have multiple windows open.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I'd be happy with an indicator on the main book list of what books are on the attached reader and vice versa. Maybe a format icon like theducks suggests.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote