Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Converting Fictionwise's Secure eReader to something my 505 will read

I am a complete computer idiot, but I learned to deDRM mobi files so I could run them through calibre and get them onto my Sony. Now, I'm dying to read the new Dan Brown (sorry, don't throw rotten produce) and the only format it's being sold in is Secure eReader. I found discussion of script from the Dark Reverser, but it's no longer alive on pastebin.

So if someone would explain, as if to an idiot, if and how I can get a secure eReader file from FW, deDRM it, put it through Calibre (which looks like it should work fine once the DRM is gone) and so on, I would be most grateful.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest searching the comments to Dark Reverser's weblog for the string "pastebin".

Note that ereader2html has not changed for about a year, although there was a recent "0.03b" post that only includes the updated parts of the 0.03 script.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
RWJ
Zealot

Awesome, thank you.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
RWJ
Zealot

OK, I'm well on my way, but getting this message:
"incorrect eReader version 10 <error 1>"
I have no idea what it means. Anybody know what I should do next?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
See this thread, message 168.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 AM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
Now, I'm dying to read the new Dan Brown (sorry, don't throw rotten produce) and the only format it's being sold in is Secure eReader.
I see Books on Board have it in Epub (when released).
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am a complete computer idiot, but I learned to deDRM mobi files so I could run them through calibre and get them onto my Sony. Now, I'm dying to read the new Dan Brown (sorry, don't throw rotten produce) and the only format it's being sold in is Secure eReader.
No, it's available in ePub too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
RWJ
Zealot

Thanks, all.

OK, I'm playing with the free secure eReader books from FW. So far, if I use the PY script, it hangs up at the version problem, but if I then run it through Calibre, it works beautifully. Not the most elegant solution, perhaps, but serviceable!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Can you point me to these files? I've been fiddling with an app to decode eReader for the last while. My biggest issue so far is that they appear to scramble the normal header record. It's easy to convert stuff to HTML, but I want to convert a secure eReader to an open one. Then I can use Calibre to convert it to other stuff.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
I want to convert a secure eReader to an open one. Then I can use Calibre to convert it to other stuff.
See ereader2ereader in two steps. This converts to PML, but Calibre can import PML now.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
OK, I'm well on my way, but getting this message:
"incorrect eReader version 10 <error 1>"
I have no idea what it means. Anybody know what I should do next?
This means the file does not have DRM.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
This means the file does not have DRM.
Calibre can convert DRM-free eReader into many formats.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I really try to stay away from ereader-formatted files. I find they just don't seem to convert as well as Mobi or .lit files, and the results are very disappointing. Personally, If FW doesn't offer another format, I will be buying it from BoB in ePub.
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote