Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Cranfordrd
Cranfordrd began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Moving epubs to new iPad

I have an iPad 2 with many sideloaded ePub books in iBooks. I'm buying an iPad mini retina. Is there any method to move all those epubs to the new iPad or do I lose them all? Smash words, free books on amazon, I've got well over 100 free books I don't want to lose, many of them are no longer free.

Last edited by Cranfordrd; 01-12-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Cranfordrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the books are from Amazon, they aren't ePubs. You can copy the sideloaded books back to your pc, then copy them to the new iPad, though. Just do it the same way you originally did to the original iPad.

For any Amazon books, they should be on your account, for re-downloading into the Kindle app at any time.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
iFunBox should do what you want.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
If you've been using iTunes to manage the books, you can use a backup & restore. But if the side loading hasn't used iTunes, then that may not work. You could use Calibre to determine the books that are in iTunes and then send them to the iPad mini. That's what I wound up doing. Neither iFunBox or iExplorer were able to do the job. Crash crash crash.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
OK, I'm stupid. New iPad. How do I "sideload" books into iBooks? Using iTunes takes forever.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
OK, I'm stupid. New iPad. How do I "sideload" books into iBooks? Using iTunes takes forever.
What step is taking forever for you, and how long is it taking? It's always quick as a wink from here, with epubs.

As a sidebar, just to check: have you also considered a different app from iBooks? Marvin is nice.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

How are connecting the iPad to iTunes? If you are syncing via WiFi it is REALLY slow to sync sometimes. If you have your iPad connected to your computer via a USB cable, then it syncs much faster. I have fast WiFi, but a wired sync is several times faster in my case.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ha, yes I just assumed a cable! Wifi sync is fine and all when it works, but a cable gets the job done. (And since you have to connect it to charge every day, well, it's not really onerous.)
Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Ha, yes I just assumed a cable! Wifi sync is fine and all when it works, but a cable gets the job done. (And since you have to connect it to charge every day, well, it's not really onerous.)
Connecting to a computer will not even begin to charge my iPad. I use the 10watt power supply with 2Amps of output. I can't get anywhere near that with a computer. I use dropbox to move most of my eBooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find that Calibre and its "iOS Reader Applications" plug-in is the most effective way to get books onto my iPad. I have something like 2000 books loaded in the Kindle App on my Retina Mini and it all works extremely well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all. I will try the ios Reader Application. Still waiting to hear about "sideloading? The way I have been doing it in iTunes is going to iPad page, books, and then I am forced to Sync to get the books I want into the pad. Probably 4 or 5 minutes with iTunes going through its backup routines, etc. A Pain.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Sideloading just means loading your books on using a USB cable (rather than by Wifi, etc.)

I just went to test sync timing with a new book added, and realised that with the recent system update my iPad books are in iBooks now. Which system & version of iTunes are you using?

I added a 388 KB by putting the epub into iBooks, ticking the box to sync it in the iPad's iTunes preferences, and clicking Apply. The new sync to the iPad then took eight seconds. If it's taking five minutes for you via a cable, there's something very different between your system/setup/etc and mine. If I'm doing a full back also during that sync, and I haven't done one for ages, sure that takes time - but that's not "taking forever to sideload a book", it's taking a reasonable time for a full backup. You can just unclick the full-backup option before you sync, if you're in a hurry.

Last edited by meeera; 01-19-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Sideloading just means loading your books on using a USB cable (rather than by Wifi, etc.)

I just went to test sync timing with a new book added, and realised that with the recent system update my iPad books are in iBooks now. Which system & version of iTunes are you using?

I added a 388 KB by putting the epub into iBooks, ticking the box to sync it in the iPad's iTunes preferences, and clicking Apply. The new sync to the iPad then took eight seconds. If it's taking five minutes for you via a cable, there's something very different between your system/setup/etc and mine. If I'm doing a full back also during that sync, and I haven't done one for ages, sure that takes time - but that's not "taking forever to sideload a book", it's taking a reasonable time for a full backup. You can just unclick the full-backup option before you sync, if you're in a hurry.
I know the definition of sideloading I just don't know how to do it. I connect the cable - then what? Must I go through iTunes? That is what I am trying to avoid. From the rest of your comments, Yes, I must have something wrong. If it only took 8 seconds I wouldn't have made my original post. Thanks, anyway.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I know the definition of sideloading I just don't know how to do it. I connect the cable - then what? Must I go through iTunes? That is what I am trying to avoid. From the rest of your comments, Yes, I must have something wrong. If it only took 8 seconds I wouldn't have made my original post. Thanks, anyway.
These instructions assume you have already set up your iPad and iTunes in order to sync it. If not then do so first. Google how.
  1. Connect iPad to computer and start iTunes
  2. In iTunes, select View --> Show Sidebar to display sidebar.
  3. In the Sidebar, select your iPad.
  4. Select the Books tab along the top of iTunes.
  5. In the Books tab, select your syncing options/books.
  6. Press the Sync button.

As I said in an earlier post, a cable connection is much faster than using WiFi.

BTW, syncing movies, music, photos, etc. are all pretty much the same as Books, just select the related tab, set up your options, and sync.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes-iBooks-sync.png
Views:	297
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	118119  

Last edited by jswinden; 01-19-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
These instructions assume you have already set up your iPad and iTunes in order to sync it. If not then do so first. Google how.
  1. Connect iPad to computer and start iTunes
  2. In iTunes, select View --> Show Sidebar to display sidebar.
  3. In the Sidebar, select your iPad.
  4. Select the Books tab along the top of iTunes.
  5. In the Books tab, select your syncing options/books.
  6. Press the Sync button.

As I said in an earlier post, a cable connection is much faster than using WiFi.

BTW, syncing movies, music, photos, etc. are all pretty much the same as Books, just select the related tab, set up your options, and sync.

Not to beat a dead horse, and I appreciate your post, but how do I get a book (epub,No DRM) that is not shown in the list of books into the iPad or into the list of books that is shown in iTunes? In other words, the book I want to load is not in the books shown in iTunes.
Ok, I did it I had to click on Books at the top list of the sidebar, then drag the bbook into iTunes The list of all the booKs, then close iTunes, then restart iTunes and the book showed up and then synched. That sync only took a few seconds. There's got to be an easier way.

Last edited by The Old Man; 01-19-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Problem solved

Tags
ebook, epub, ipad, side load, transfer