Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #1306
joakimb
joakimb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle4NT
So, I tried following this guide to jailbreak my kindle4NT:
http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/

After step 1 and 2 had no effect, I used the "cp" command in the mac os terminal to copy data.tar.gz and then "touch ENABLE_DIAGS". After that I have been stuck in recovery mode and can not boot to normal kindle mode. I have tried using MfgTool from windows but i cant seem to set my kindle in usb download mode, it just reboots when i hold the power button + home. So MfgTool does not find my kindle.

I have also tried to remove the ENABLE_DIAGS file from terminal but the kindle still reboots into recovery mode.

My 3:rd try was to use the Kubrick image, but it is stuck at Waiting for device...

When trying to reboot/disable diags from the kindle interface, nothing happens..

Any ideas on what to try next?

Last edited by joakimb; 04-13-2015 at 02:14 PM.
joakimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #1307
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Is there any particular reason you combined "step 9" with "steps 1 ... 3" ?
(other than PEBKAC that is)

Try Kubrick on it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #1308
joakimb

Ahh, I was not clear enough, my bad . I have gone through Metod 1-3 in the tutorial, i.e. step 1-14.

I have tried running kubrick but it does not find the device. I think that I can not get it is USB download mode. Is holding the powerbutton and then the home button equivalent to "USB device mode" in recovery mode (TEQUILA)? Neither of them makes kubrick find my device, its just stuck on waiting for device.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #1309
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What's wrong with the up-to-date info on the WiKi? (Granted, I don't remember the details changing that much, but there was potentially a weird kerfuffle with 4.1.x/newish Silver K4, and the Black K4. But then again, I only got my hands on a K4 very late in the life-cycle of the device, so don't quote me on that).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #1310
joakimb

Can anyone tell me how the kindle should react when put in usb download mode? Mine just reboots, then it shows a screen which looks a bit like waves, and then it is back to recovery mode (TEQUILA). Is this the desired behaviour?
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #1311
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its USB ID will change.
No other visible changes.

DO NOT try to do things from a VM - it is very rare that a VM can keep up with the USB ID changes before the downloader mode times out.

Use the Kubrick Live CD (which is Linux) in command line mode if you need command line tool access.
(Alt-F4 is the escape from the Wizard, IIRC)

DO NOT try the above on a PC with USB-3 ports.
Only very few (chip) brands of USB-3 port hardware works, so just assume that none of them do.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #1312
JohnO
Reactionary Old Fart
JohnO began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 + Kindle K4
Thumbs up

Bought a K4 marked 'DEMO' and 'NOT FOR RESALE' in pristine condition for £5 at a car boot sale this morning. Used Kubrick to flash it and now it's a fully-functional, well-behaved, jailbroken Kindle. Just followed the instructions and the process went without a hitch.

System: Samsung Netbook booting from USB disk.

Thank you - I am impressed.
JohnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #1313
chobile
chobile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite v5
Exclamation

Hi, looking for help with my PW1, as mentioned in the thread below,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobile View Post
Hi, my kindle is stuck on the "CELESTE.WFO - System Diags" mode. No matter how many times I reboot or attempt a hard reset, it comes back to this. I've read stuff on the site for a few hours (and yes, I checked out geekmaster's debricking thread). I'm not sure they apply to me specifically though.

I have a Kindle PaperWhite v1 (no-ads). Likely on firmware 5.4.4 or higher. I jailbroke it and added KUAL, etc. When I plug it into the computer, my computer can see it just fine (I can even get a drive letter if I select "U) USB device mode" in system diags.

I've charged it for over a day now (on mains). I've also tried charging it for several hours over a desktop USB.

What happened was,
I was trying to drain the battery (so that I could do a full charge - it's suggested that you do this every so often with lithium-ion batteries). Anyway, I ignored the low battery warning and kept reading, when it suddenly just went blank and booted in the Celeste System Diagnostics mode.

It seems my problem isn't as severe as indicated by the other posts in geekmaster's thread, and using MFGTool to change the boot mode would do it??? What should I do? I'm also unclear which profile to get for the MFGTool. Help. Thanks very much.
I REALLY, REALLY wish they had separated the PaperWhite 1 from the other K5 kindles, since it's become extremely confusing as a lot of it doesn't seem to apply to the PaperWhites!!

Thanks for any help.
chobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #1314
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobile View Post
- - - -
I REALLY, REALLY wish they had separated the PaperWhite 1 from the other K5 kindles, since it's become extremely confusing as a lot of it doesn't seem to apply to the PaperWhites!!

Thanks for any help.
I am one of the "they" - and we had a good reason for it (see the FGA thread).

Stop doing anything at all (other than keep on a wall charger) to your PW-1 and get things sorted out with Amazon Customer Service.

You have them by the short hairs now - just leave it alone, don't screw it up further.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #1315
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
DO NOT try the above on a PC with USB-3 ports.
Only very few (chip) brands of USB-3 port hardware works, so just assume that none of them do.
I have had problems with lots of different USB-2 hardware plugged into USB-3 ports. In many cases, using a USB-2 hub in between the USB-2 device and USB-3 port helps, if you do not have a USB-2 port.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #1316
knc1
Going Viral

Welcome back.

There was a recent suggestion made of offering you a bribe to visit here more often.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #1317
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Welcome back.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #1318
ian666
Enthusiast
ian666 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Paperwhite stuck on tree screen

Hi Hope someone can help
I did a stupid thing and removed the battery from my Paperwhite white it was booting. Now all I get is a cycle where the screen shows the tree screen and then goes blank and back to the tree screen. I think it is stuck in a loop.
Can I de-brick it or is it too severe?

Ian
ian666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #1319
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian666 View Post
Hi Hope someone can help
I did a stupid thing and removed the battery from my Paperwhite white it was booting. Now all I get is a cycle where the screen shows the tree screen and then goes blank and back to the tree screen. I think it is stuck in a loop.
Can I de-brick it or is it too severe?

Ian
You can de-brick it over the serial port - not easy for the non-technical person.

First try putting the factory restore trigger name on the root of the device, see (for a Mac example):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=9

The Linux example would be the same, except for the path to the Kindle.
Which under Linux, you can discover in your file manager (because there are differences depending on what distribution your running).

You didn't mention your PC's operating system, and I can't think of any other OS names.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #1320
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You didn't mention your PC's operating system, and I can't think of any other OS names.
Windows!

The batch file needed (courtesy of stackoverflow):
Code:
for /L %%n in (1,0,10) do (
    type nul > K:\DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
)
The for loop increments by zero, so it can never finish.

Note: On Windows, there is no sane way of knowing where an external drive is mounted. You MUST replace the K:\ drive with the real drive letter of the Kindle.

I would manually change the drive letter, so that that computer always remembers to mount it to a specific drive letter.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking