Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Xoom, anyone get one?

I heard the book reader is pretty good, just not a lot to offer in books at the moment, but with the Kindle Apps, and Nook apps I see that as a non issue.

I am just wondering if anyone has it, and their thoughts.

Thinking about the 600, or 800 one. (do I want a contract or no basically).
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I did. Love it. I am presently trying to figure out how to put my Calibre collection on it for use in Google Books. I'm thinking it's not possible I don't want to use a 3rd party book app if I can avoid it.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
manders2600
manders2600 can extract oil from cheesemanders2600 can extract oil from cheesemanders2600 can extract oil from cheesemanders2600 can extract oil from cheesemanders2600 can extract oil from cheesemanders2600 can extract oil from cheesemanders2600 can extract oil from cheesemanders2600 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Android
Just got it home an hour ago. I love it so far, but some of the apps have slight glitches. CoolReader works flawlessly, but Aldiko (what I usually use on my phone) seems to cut off the last couple of lines on the page, so you cannot really use it to read with. Repligo works great, except that the settings menu is a little screwed up, and you cannot get to nigh mode. I have not tried others, but oh my god, do I love this tablet!!!!
manders2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
A famous person just got one.

http://bit.ly/eIQ8tA
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I want one....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I heard the book reader is pretty good, just not a lot to offer in books at the moment, but with the Kindle Apps, and Nook apps I see that as a non issue.

I am just wondering if anyone has it, and their thoughts.

Thinking about the 600, or 800 one. (do I want a contract or no basically).
also you can use google books which is now part of the Android market.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
also you can use google books which is now part of the Android market.
Maybe not. I mean yes, but I don't think you can import books to the app that you don't purchase from google. I was really hoping to utilize the page turn animations.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setite View Post
Maybe not. I mean yes, but I don't think you can import books to the app that you don't purchase from google. I was really hoping to utilize the page turn animations.

One thing I just don't get is how/why people are more concerned with sizzle than bacon.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by setite View Post
yeah google ebooks page turning is simililar to the kindle app.

the nook app has the page turning animation.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

I got it... LOVE IT.

I did the 600 version with 2 year plan. 20 bucks a month. this is what I been waiting for in a Tab.

Though not a fan of the book app, but got nook and Kindle.

Angry Birds looks impressive.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I got mine yesterday - LOVE IT!

The reader is very nice but I have not had enough time to give an adequate test ride. I did install the Kindle app and it displays beautifully. The display is gorgeous and is very nearly the same dimension as the DX, which is perfect for books and periodicals.

Still getting my feet wet...
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I got it... LOVE IT.

I did the 600 version with 2 year plan. 20 bucks a month. this is what I been waiting for in a Tab.

Though not a fan of the book app, but got nook and Kindle.

Angry Birds looks impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I got mine yesterday - LOVE IT!

The reader is very nice but I have not had enough time to give an adequate test ride. I did install the Kindle app and it displays beautifully. The display is gorgeous and is very nearly the same dimension as the DX, which is perfect for books and periodicals.

Still getting my feet wet...
Woo Hoo!!!

Keep us posted....I'm so tempted to go buy one right now.....and it's all your fault!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Woo Hoo!!!

Keep us posted....I'm so tempted to go buy one right now.....and it's all your fault!
Indeed -- I'll take the blame! I am supposed to be packing for a trip tonight and I have spent the majority of my time playing with the Xoom. I do know that the three sample books that came with the reader are in .mobi format as the Kindle app loaded them immediately and I was able to view them as such in a file explorer. So far, I have not yet found the location where they are stored for the purpose of side-loading into the onboard reader but I'll have more time on trip. There are so many cool features in the Honeycomb UI. Android on dual-core steroids!

With reports of Aldiko acting a bit funky, I'll probably try Moon+ reader for a test of side-loaded epubs. If I can figure out where to put the mobi files for the onboard reader I'll be happy (and will convert more epubs).

Caution: if you venture into a VZW store to have a look there is a strong possibility you will depart with a much lighter wallet!

Join the group -- you know you want one!!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
rock
Addict

dude (dudette?), buy one. I impulsed it, and I am so happy.

Seriously I called about upgrading my phone (R2D2 Droid) to see if they had it in. So I decided let me ask if they had the xoom. She said UPS just walked in.

I felt like Jake Blues and saw the light. Got up, told my co-workers I'll be back , walked to verizon store and bought it. And actually I am happy with the 3g thing and being able to pull up youtube vids and other stuff at work.

Can't wait to test PDF's when I get home.

O nook app works perfect. Better than my nook lol. I am going to give that to someone else now.

The book app is working better, first time I loaded it took forever to load, but now it is swift. Must be a first use thing.

BackbreakerHD looks great. A lot of apps so far work good, but I have had some glitches. I say in about a week or two there will be a lot of updated apps as they are already flowing.

So happy with this purchase, and to think I almost folded on an iPad.

O note, the Microsd slot does not work yet, until an update from google (I am sensing with the 4G update since they share the same slot) and no flash, but adobe said in a few weeks.

so happy.

Last edited by rock; 02-25-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I read online that you will need to mail your Xoom back to Verizon to get it updated to 4G. Six business days turn around time! Glad you all are enjoying your new tablets. Am curious how folks are taking to it. I expect that Calibre will incorporate Xoom into their programming so you can seamlessly transfer e-books to your units. BTW, what does it weigh? My biggest complaint about the iPad is the weight, especially for bedtime reading.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote