Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
khnam
khnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H20; Bookeen Cybook
How to send ebooks straight to SD card

I just got a Bookeen Cybook and keeps getting more and more books into it days after day. So I find it quite inconvenient to have to plug the Cybook to PC through a cable because I think it's likely to wear out the plug in Cybook.

So I wonder if it's able to sync the books to the SD card by using SD card reader, instead through the Cybook because I also have a SD card reader on my PC. However, whenever I try to sync the books to the SD card, which the PC recognised as Removable Disk, it continually stops and shows some errors.

I can easily copy the files but I want my Cybook and PC contents synced. Anyone help please.
khnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You don't have to 'sync' Simply drag and drop the ebooks on the card in the books directory. A card in an USB reader is not a reading device. So syncing won't work. If you copy all of the files every time they will stay synced. Of you need a tool like SyncBack to keep the directories in tune

Last edited by Ortep; 08-06-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
lordmax
Enthusiast
lordmax began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Opus, cybook gen10, Palm LifeDrive, NetBookVaio, Kindle, Tolino
toucan

HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
You don't have to 'sync' Simply drag and drop the ebooks on the card in the books directory. A card in an USB reader is not a reading device. So syncing won't work. If you copy all of the files every time they will stay synced. Of you need a tool like SyncBack to keep the directories in tune
Right

I'm using toucan from http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/toucan that's really good and without the need of installation.
And you can have more then one sd
lordmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmax View Post
HI

I'm using toucan
I was playing with that one today. The syncing went fine but I could find any way to 'save' my sync. I had to select everything every time again. It was not very practical Did i overlook something?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
lordmax
Enthusiast

toucan saving

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I was playing with that one today. The syncing went fine but I could find any way to 'save' my sync. I had to select everything every time again. It was not very practical Did i overlook something?
mmm
in the first and second tab (sync and backup) there are two icons that save and retry your setting.
For me they're working well.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm slightly baffled by this "sync" business. An SD card is just an external drive as far as the PC is concerned - why not just copy books directly to it? What benefit is gained from "syncing" to it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have a Sync program set up on my Mac for my CyBook.

The benefit is that when I download eBooks to the Mac, I just add them into the folder on my Mac, and/or delete or move books (e.g. delete from "a a new books" folder once read), and I can be confident that the changes will be automatically propagated to the CyBook's SD card next time I plug it in.

This works very nicely for my 1400 or so eBooks, which currently take up just under 1GB. So I've got plenty of space for new books on the 2GB card.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm slightly baffled by this "sync" business. An SD card is just an external drive as far as the PC is concerned - why not just copy books directly to it? What benefit is gained from "syncing" to it?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. I have hugely more eBooks than would fit onto an SD card, so that approach wouldn't work for me. Even with your 1400 books, though, don't you find the library screen to be somewhat "unwieldy"? I currently have about 300 books on my Gen3, and I really wouldn't want any more, due to the time it takes to navigate among them.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmax View Post
Hi

In the first and second tab (sync and backup) there are two icons that save and retry your setting.
For me they're working well.

Aha..I completely overlooked them. It is working now
Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #10
lordmax
Enthusiast

optimize sync

Hi

In first sorry for my bad english.

Quote:
OK. I have hugely more eBooks than would fit onto an SD card, so that approach wouldn't work for me.
Me too but the sync approach work fine for me.

Quote:
Even with your 1400 books, though, don't you find the library screen to be somewhat "unwieldy"? I currently have about 300 books on my Gen3, and I really wouldn't want any more, due to the time it takes to navigate among them.
Yes... if you want all your ebook on a single directory.
Personally I have more than 3000 ebook and 7 1Gb sd cards divided by type and category.
I sync all of them singularly and by my needs.
It's just a way of organize things.

Obviously isn't the "only and perfect" way. Everyone must be free to choose is way. ^___^
Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, very unwieldy. I'm really hoping that a later firmware version does something to fix this.

I get around it at present by keeping a range of classic works on the Gen3's memory (which puts them at the front of the list), and then having a folder on the SD card called "a a new books" which contains my 'to-be-read" pile of books. And then also on the SD card I have folders organised by author name, and series name folders inside author name folders.

I add a sequence number to the start of the names of books in series to make sure they display in order on the CyBook. Books in "a a new books" also get duplicated in the author folders, so that when I've finished them, I can just delete them from the folder on the Mac, which deletes them automatically from the same folder on the CyBook when it's connected.

In this way, although I have my entire library available, most of the time I only need to navigate near the start of the list.

If I want to access something in the main bulk of the library, I switch to 20-per-screen view, which speeds up the navigation.

Not ideal by any means, but getting there.

Paul

Quote:
OK. I have hugely more eBooks than would fit onto an SD card, so that approach wouldn't work for me. Even with your 1400 books, though, don't you find the library screen to be somewhat "unwieldy"? I currently have about 300 books on my Gen3, and I really wouldn't want any more, due to the time it takes to navigate among them.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

So you're using "Sort by file path" on the library, presumably?

The approach you describe is very ingenious; I'll have to try it myself. Hopefully, though, before too long we'll get the promised "folder view" from Bookeen .
Old 08-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #13
khnam
khnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy bluekhnam can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H20; Bookeen Cybook
oh, I just found Allway Sync. It works amazing when supporting sync one way or both ways. Now I dont' have to find which files are new to copy.

Also, the sync is auto when I connect SD card to PC and whenever new changes are found.

Second I can categorize my book library on PC and have it synced to my SD card due to the fact Mobi Reader doesn't support sub-folders and find one book in thoudsands is a disaster even on PC.

Neat, ins't it?
khnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, very unwieldy. I'm really hoping that a later firmware version does something to fix this.

I get around it at present by keeping a range of classic works on the Gen3's memory (which puts them at the front of the list), and then having a folder on the SD card called "a a new books" which contains my 'to-be-read" pile of books. And then also on the SD card I have folders organised by author name, and series name folders inside author name folders.

I add a sequence number to the start of the names of books in series to make sure they display in order on the CyBook. Books in "a a new books" also get duplicated in the author folders, so that when I've finished them, I can just delete them from the folder on the Mac, which deletes them automatically from the same folder on the CyBook when it's connected.

In this way, although I have my entire library available, most of the time I only need to navigate near the start of the list.

If I want to access something in the main bulk of the library, I switch to 20-per-screen view, which speeds up the navigation.

Not ideal by any means, but getting there.

Paul

Hello Paul!

My computer is a Mac as well. I am curious about the program you use for sync. Coud you give some details please

Thanks

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Yes, "Sort by file path" is the only way I could find to make the library work in any way sensibly.

I also have an AppleScript wrapper around mobi2mobi which make setting the author and book name simple - by dragging a folder onto the AppleScript, it takes that folder name as the author name, and then uses the file names of the files inside the folder (recursively) as the book ame, but carefully trimming off any leading number, so that I can keep series in folders and in their proper order.

It's working quite well so far, but I wish there was a good Mac OS X eBook manager (and yes, I've taken a look at Calibre, but it seems a bit too sony oriented).

Perhaps I'll have to wait until Apple does an eBook Reader :-)

Paul

Quote:
So you're using "Sort by file path" on the library, presumably?

The approach you describe is very ingenious; I'll have to try it myself. Hopefully, though, before too long we'll get the promised "folder view" from Bookeen .