Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
warshauer
warshauer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does Calibre work with new Kindles?

I'm a newbie and thinking of buying a Kindle. Calibre looks great for newspapers and magazines I already subscribe to. Can you confirm that Calibre works with the newest Kindles? Thanks!
warshauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It should, but no one's been able to test it yet.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I don't see why it wouldn't, since the kindle can read mobipocket files. If it doesn't have one-click transfer right out the gate, you can be sure they'll update it to support the new kindle.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Kovid Goyal answered your question here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92546

If it doesn't work right away you will be able to manually transfer books via usb cable and drag and drop (free) ... or pay the whispernet fee and email them to the Kindle.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Mobipocket creator can convert to AMW if Calibre will not
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
warshauer

follow up question

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Kovid Goyal answered your question here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92546

If it doesn't work right away you will be able to manually transfer books via usb cable and drag and drop (free) ... or pay the whispernet fee and email them to the Kindle.
abookreader: Thanks for your quick reply! A follow up newbie question: I don't have a Kindle yet, but am about to buy one based on new low prices. Being able to read newspapers and magazines on the device via Calibre is probably the major reason I would buy. Given that, and what you say above re the whispernet fee, I wanted to ask for clarficiation re if I need the 3G version of Kindle to have Calibre automatically deliver newspapers and magazines to my Kindle, or whether the Wi-Fi version will also work for that (I know I'd need to be connected to wi-fi, but other than that)?

Again, thanks for your patience with this Newbie!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
My limited understanding is that you will be able to use wifi to transfer documents for free (as opposed to the small fee via whispernet.)

(I am also considering a K3 purchase as my first Kindle/ereader.)
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
yeah it is
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
My limited understanding is that you will be able to use wifi to transfer documents for free (as opposed to the small fee via whispernet.)
I've seen this hinted at on this board but nothing that would qualify as more than speculation. Where, and what have you heard? Any info would be great - and the speculation itself is fun.

I've already ordered the WiFi version, this would just be a bonus.

-M
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
warshauer

Talking

Thanks! Ordered my new Kindle today (of course I won't get it for a month...). Amazon ought to pay royalties to Calibre!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
I've seen this hinted at on this board but nothing that would qualify as more than speculation.
From Sending Personal Documents to Kindle:
Quote:
To access your personal documents on your Kindle, send attachments to your Kindle's e-mail address ("name"@free.kindle.com). If your Kindle is connected to Wi-Fi, the files will be sent to your Kindle and also to the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account at no charge. A small fee will be charged to deliver documents wirelessly to your Kindle via 3G.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
feelsgoodman
o hai.
feelsgoodman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
instapaper is a handy site for converting blogs/ news articles into mobi files.
feelsgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new kindle