Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
minck
minck began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader for pdf's and simple wordprocessing?

About 90% of my books and articles are in pdf or djvu format, black and white, pics not important (mostly academic books, journals ... footnotes here are very important). Reading often requires scrolling to the page where the footnotes are, and then back. Also, there is a lot of reference type reading - i.e., looking little things up here and there ... not just reading the same book page after page.

I would also like to do some very very basic word processing - think Word Pad or Gedit.

I will be using at work, 10 hour shifts, no electricity.

I am very interested in the Onyx T68 - I like the idea of black and white screen, and saving electricity on the screen. But does this sound like a good idea for this application? It seems most here are using them to read epubs - i.e., documents in text format, whereas most pdf's I have are scanned and are images.

Otherwise - what kind of device should I get? I like the idea of an android tablet. Length of battery charge is important, I don't want it konking out after a couple of hours.

Thank you!
minck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
minck
minck began at the beginning.

Device: none
a note about the Onyx T68 - Amazon hasn't got it any more. Since a few days back, at least. Today, I notice a change - there's a used one available. But I think I'd like to buy new.

If you get an external keyboard for this - which is good? Is it possible to get an usb one, and would that be better than bluetooth?
minck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
There is still no eink reader that would be good enough for all tasks and needs.

I would recommend using several adequate eink readers and tablets simultaneously that would complement each other.

e.g. Kindle DX is good enough for me, both outdoors and indoors, at reading pdfs, djvu, cbz, epub, mobi (with installed kindlepdfviewer thereon), but lacks touchscreen for handwriting and annotating (by typing) for pdfs, color, great speed at searching or cross-referencing etc. luckily I can simultaneously use Sony Prs-T1 or iPad to circumvent its shortcomings e.g. read scanned pdfs on Kindle DX but scribble, annotate those pdfs, use dictionaries and cross-referencing on Sony or iPad.

Last edited by markom; 07-31-2014 at 08:05 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
There is still no eink reader that would be good enough for all tasks and needs.

I would recommend using several adequate eink readers and tablets simultaneously that would complement each other.

e.g. Kindle DX is good enough for me, both outdoors and indoors, at reading pdfs, djvu, cbz, epub, mobi (with installed kindlepdfviewer thereon), but lacks touchscreen for handwriting and annotating (by typing) for pdfs, color, great speed at searching or cross-referencing etc. luckily I can simultaneously use Sony Prs-T1 or iPad to circumvent its shortcomings e.g. read scanned pdfs on Kindle DX but scribble, annotate those pdfs, use dictionaries and cross-referencing on Sony or iPad.
Onyx Boox M96? A 9.7" E-ink Android 4.0 tablet, in effect.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote