Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
HalfEmptyHero
HalfEmptyHero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Build Failing

I'm trying to build calibre on Kubuntu Natty so that it won't look crappy, but I'm running into this error:

Code:
 File "/home/brendan/Source/calibre/src/calibre/utils/magick/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    raise RuntimeError('Failed to load ImageMagick: '+_merr)
RuntimeError: Failed to load ImageMagick: No module named magick
I have imagemagick and the python bindings for it installed.
HalfEmptyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Thread moved, read this sticky before posting in the Development forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfEmptyHero
I'm trying to build calibre on Kubuntu Natty so that it won't look crappy
It's going to look the same. Calibre's GUI uses Qt and building from source isn't going to change how it looks. It should be using your KDE theme. How do you have it installed? Ubuntu package or binary installer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfEmptyHero
I have imagemagick and the python bindings for it installed.
Both of which are unnecessary. Calibre uses it's own bindings and works directly with the shared library. You need to install libmagickwand-dev.

If you're not using the binary install use that as will give you the latest version. The version packaged in Natty is already 10 versions out of date and won't be updated until Natty+1.

I would also recommend against building from source see http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...nt-environment for running from source using an existing calibre install. You are going to run into quite a few issues with Ubuntu (and it's variants) most people do. It is also not a distribution we provide support for because the vast majority of Linux related issues are Ubuntu doing something stupid.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
HalfEmptyHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It's going to look the same. Calibre's GUI uses Qt and building from source isn't going to change how it looks. It should be using your KDE theme. How do you have it installed? Ubuntu package or binary installer?

Both of which are unnecessary. Calibre uses it's own bindings and works directly with the shared library. You need to install libmagickwand-dev.

If you're not using the binary install use that as will give you the latest version. The version packaged in Natty is already 10 versions out of date and won't be updated until Natty+1.

I would also recommend against building from source see http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...nt-environment for running from source using an existing calibre install. You are going to run into quite a few issues with Ubuntu (and it's variants) most people do. It is also not a distribution we provide support for because the vast majority of Linux related issues are Ubuntu doing something stupid.
The whole reason I want to build it is because it isn't using the kdetheme, and I was told the only way to fix that would be to build it myself and I was using the binary install. I have tried downloading the source and doing sudo python setup.py install as well as sudo python setup.py develop and both fail when trying to load ImageMagick.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Hmm... The error is related to calibre not being able to load the binary ImageMagick plugin. Calibre uses a binary C plugin that uses libmagickwand. The python binding for the plugin is unable to load the plugin.

Use the -h flag to get a list of commands. It appears the C plugin for ImageMagick isnt being built. See if there is a command to build them. Then try install.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
HalfEmptyHero

Well I got it to work by commenting out the 2 lines that raised the ValueError, and everything seems to be working so far. It runs, and looks pretty; I am able to view books and was able to convert a pdf to mobi. What exactly is ImageMagick used for in calibre so I can test to see if it's working. I assumed it would be used in image converting when converting books to different formats, is that correct?

Also I did get an unrelated warning after the building.

Code:
('PoDoFo not found on your system. Various PDF related', ' functionality will not work. Use the PODOFO_INC_DIR and', ' PODOFO_LIB_DIR environment variables.')
I'm not sure what podofo is, but converting from a pdf at least works.

Edit: Nevermind about podofo, I found it.

Last edited by HalfEmptyHero; 04-15-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
image magick is used in lots of places. For example, it is used everytime you set a cover for a book in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
HalfEmptyHero

Well since I am able to set covers, and I don't see any error messages (running from terminal), can I assume imagemagick is working properly?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote