Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Free books from Small Beer Press

i just found this page. i don't know these authors but i think Small Beer Press is making a really great initiative (and for all the right reasons), and i appreciate their philosophy, so i thought i would spread the word.

Creative Commons licensed work from Small Beer Press

Free books in various formats (no DRM), including audio sometimes.

the FAQ from the download page :

Quote:
1. Why?

We love books. We want to keep on publishing good books. Weird books. Interestig books. We are curious about the future. If everyone downloads books straight to the Kindlenub in their head, we might be in trouble. But if there are still people who like to read books on paper, maybe some of them will read some of these downloads and then decide they would like the actual books. Therefore we're releasing some of our books

also releasing it as a free download in various completely open formats with no Digital Rights Management (DRM).

2. Creative What?

We're interested in spreading the word about Creative Commons. Copyright is a good thing and artists deserve to be paid whatever society is willing to pay for their work. But, do artists need to retain the rights to their work for 70 years after their death? Uh, no.

3. Can't I buy the book?

Yes, we certainly encourage readers to buy the book -- we're a tiny independent press. We receive no grants, we're not a nonprofit: sales are good!

4. Will giving this book away kill sales?

We don't think so.

50,000+ people have downloaded Kelly Link's Stranger Things Happen since we made it available under Creative Commons. In the meantime the book has gone into its sixth printing, has been translated into more than half-a-dozen languages, is being taught in many schools, and is still being passed hand to hand to new readers.

Our books soon be available in hundreds of libraries, on books.google.com and Amazon.com's Search Inside program, in a few used bookshops, on BookCrossing, Scribd, Teleread, and, again, in hundreds of libraries.

In other words: as with any book, if you want to read it for free, you can. We've just made it easier for this book to reach the 6 billion readers out there!

4. Questions

Got a question? Email us and hopefully we'll post an answer. We are a tiny press, though, so please don't get jumpy if we don't answer immediately. We're busy working on our next books, freelancing, or performing quality control on chocolate.

More thanks:

* Much of the impetus, information and inspiration for using the Creative Commons license came from author, innovator, and groundbreaker Cory Doctorow. (Thanks, Cory!)

* Thanks also to our webhost Utopian.Net (run by artists for artists) for help with this project (and being great hosts!).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Interesting. I downloaded two versions of "Mothers and Other Monsters". Unfortunately, for the book I really wanted, "Stranger Things Happen", all three of the links I tried were broken. Bummer.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, some of the links i tried were broken as well. but the html version of "Stranger Things Happen" works, and you can easily convert it to anything from there.

Edit : maybe we should tell them their links are broken...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Gavin Grant
Gavin Grant doesn't litterGavin Grant doesn't litter

Device: n/a
Hi, Gavin from Small Beer here. We did indeed have the links pointing to the wrong place—someone emailed me about them and they should all be working now, thanks!
Gavin Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Hi Gavin ! thanks so much for stopping by, and for fixing the links... i'm looking forward to reading your books and hope to read many more from Small Beer Press ; as I said, i think you guys have really got everything right in your philosophy. It's great to see publishers who think like you.

Welcome to MobileRead ; i hope you'll find some interesting discussions (and new customers ) here.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Gavin:

Anything that combines beer & reading is to be appreciated. Will give these a try. Thanks!
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Found a few, thanks !
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I thought beer was brewed, not pressed.

At least I can entertain myself, err, I mean I can make myself laugh.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post

-MJ
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i just found this page. i don't know these authors but i think Small Beer Press is making a really great initiative (and for all the right reasons), and i appreciate their philosophy, so i thought i would spread the word.

Free books in various formats (no DRM), including audio sometimes.

the FAQ from the download page :
Thanks, I'm checking them out now.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post

-MJ
Brilliant!!!!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Gavin, great site and philosophy, thank you.

I've just downloaded an html of Stranger Things. I'll convert it to Mobipocket and I can't wait to read it on my iLiad.

btw, the link to the Mobi version is broken: http://lcrw.net/cc/smp-dl.php?file=K...ger_Things.prc
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #13
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Just to add that several more collections have been posted here including The Ant King and Other Stories by B. Rosenbaum about which an interesting and spirited discussion is hosted by Niall Harrison at Torque Control the blog of the editorial staff of Vector which is the critical journal of the British Science Fiction Association.

http://vectoreditors.wordpress.com/2...other-stories/
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creative commons, free books