Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #31
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If (when) the Kindle 2 is released and if it is appreciably different in it's feature set, look for people to unload those old Kindles like crazy.

Some "entrepreneurs" will get stuck with their "huge" supply of 2 or 3 Kindles they bought in order to make a profit.
If the one rumor circulating about 2.0 is true (and so far, it's really one site and one set of pics, of what looks like a beta 0.x version of the Kindle, with fewer features and a worse form factor), I double people are going to "unload their Kindles". The buttons are not a big deal or "too easy to hit by accident," so long as you pay a bit of attention to where you place you hands or use the screensaver. That same feature makes it dead easy to use one-handed and by many who physically can't use paper books.

Personally, I'd be pretty p*****d off if that lower capacity and much larger sized Kindle showed up and I'd ordered the current version. Won't fit in a purse, has a sleeve instead of a protective cover, no SD card slot. Of course, there's an equal probability that it's a completely fabricated photoshop job, an early (and rejected prototype), the rumored lower cost unit for lower grade students (but no added features that can't be added to the current unit via wireless update) or the resurrected rumor of the English (UK) release.

As to those trying to make a killing on eBay - you are correct about some of them being stuck, assuming they even have one to sell (there is that entire Oprah audience, as many try to get on the show with the intention of selling the giveaway). I'd say those not being too greedy may sell theirs, but the rest may end up returning them under the 30-day after Xmas policy now in effect. Which would give Amazon some stock to sell as refurbs, which are selling just as quickly as the new units right now and can be used for any DOA returns after the inventory gets back up.

I'd be more worried about some of those being stolen or just a fraudulent ploy to get your money. None will come with a warranty, so they could also be broken or fail after arrival and you would be SOL.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #32
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If (when) the Kindle 2 is released and if it is appreciably different in it's feature set, look for people to unload those old Kindles like crazy.

Some "entrepreneurs" will get stuck with their "huge" supply of 2 or 3 Kindles they bought in order to make a profit.

Don
Not necessarily. If the Kindle 2 is anything like that monstrosity that was leaked online, I think the price of the original Kindle will go up. I wouldn't buy that other "thing" if you paid me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #33
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
If the one rumor circulating about 2.0 is true (and so far, it's really one site and one set of pics, of what looks like a beta 0.x version of the Kindle, with fewer features and a worse form factor), I double people are going to "unload their Kindles". The buttons are not a big deal or "too easy to hit by accident," so long as you pay a bit of attention to where you place you hands or use the screensaver. That same feature makes it dead easy to use one-handed and by many who physically can't use paper books.

Personally, I'd be pretty p*****d off if that lower capacity and much larger sized Kindle showed up and I'd ordered the current version. Won't fit in a purse, has a sleeve instead of a protective cover, no SD card slot. Of course, there's an equal probability that it's a completely fabricated photoshop job, an early (and rejected prototype), the rumored lower cost unit for lower grade students (but no added features that can't be added to the current unit via wireless update) or the resurrected rumor of the English (UK) release.

As to those trying to make a killing on eBay - you are correct about some of them being stuck, assuming they even have one to sell (there is that entire Oprah audience, as many try to get on the show with the intention of selling the giveaway). I'd say those not being too greedy may sell theirs, but the rest may end up returning them under the 30-day after Xmas policy now in effect. Which would give Amazon some stock to sell as refurbs, which are selling just as quickly as the new units right now and can be used for any DOA returns after the inventory gets back up.

I'd be more worried about some of those being stolen or just a fraudulent ploy to get your money. None will come with a warranty, so they could also be broken or fail after arrival and you would be SOL.
Amen to that!!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #34
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Not necessarily. If the Kindle 2 is anything like that monstrosity that was leaked online, I think the price of the original Kindle will go up.
Indeed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 AM   #35
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Indeed.
unless the new ones price point is cheaper by about 100 bucks
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #36
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Wanted to give you an update - the refurbished unit I ordered yesterday morning (around 4am EST - I checked availability after staying up reading) shipped last night. So, I should have it in hand even before the "estimated ship date" of 12/10.

Karen
www.tinyurl.com/RefurbKindle
beesontheknob.blogspot.com
koland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle