Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
astarinlife
astarinlife doesn't litterastarinlife doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite
how to turn off pop up box

Hi. I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the box that pops up when I leave my mouse over the book details, the one that talks about the book details window, path and cover size as I find it hard to read the book summary when there's a box in the way. I've tried to look around this site for n answer but don't know what the box is called so it's been a bit difficult. I'm using version 8.16. Thank you for any help you can give.

Last edited by astarinlife; 08-30-2011 at 09:23 PM.
astarinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by astarinlife View Post
Hi. I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the box that pops up when I leave my mouse over the book details, the one that talks about the book details window, path and cover size as I find it hard to read the book summary when there's a box in the way. I've tried to look around this site for n answer but don't know what the box is called so it's been a bit difficult. I'm using version 8.16. Thank you for any help you can give.
That 'box' is called "Balloon Help" and I don't think it can be disabled.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The pop-up boxes are a system level facility. If you turn it off at the operating system level then it becomes disabled for all programs, not just Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
astarinlife
astarinlife doesn't litterastarinlife doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite
okay. well thanks for the info any ways
astarinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astarinlife View Post
I keep it from not popping up in front of me while I'm reading it by holding down the right mouse button on the slide bar.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The pop-up boxes are a system level facility. If you turn it off at the operating system level then it becomes disabled for all programs, not just Calibre.
I must disagree - if we're talking about Windows, it's very definitely an application facility, and can be enabled or disabled by the application programmer.

Whether or not one would wish to do so is of course an entirely different question.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
I must disagree - if we're talking about Windows, it's very definitely an application facility, and can be enabled or disabled by the application programmer.

Whether or not one would wish to do so is of course an entirely different question.
Unless I'm reading it wrong (and that's possible) itimpi is stating that as implemented in calibre the popups are system level and in an answer to the OP the only way to turn them off is at the operating system level.

Any other debate has nothing to do with the OPs question.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Unless I'm reading it wrong (and that's possible) itimpi is stating that as implemented in calibre the popups are system level and in an answer to the OP the only way to turn them off is at the operating system level.
We're talking slightly at cross purposes. Yes, balloon help is a system facility. What I'm saying is that it's an API which can be (in fact, which HAS to be) enabled or disabled by the application programmer. You don't get balloon help in an application unless you write the program code which enables it.

It's entirely possible that it's enabled by default by the programming toolkit (Qt?) which Calibre uses; I'm sure that Kovid can answer that question.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't get balloon help in an application unless you write the program code which enables it.

It's entirely possible that it's enabled by default by the programming toolkit (Qt?) which Calibre uses; I'm sure that Kovid can answer that question.
Although at one level you are correct, with most modern GUI toolkits it is automatic the moment you set the Tooltip property on an item in the UI so in reality the application programmer is never aware that this is happening.

It would be possible to protect every attempt to set a tooltip according to preference settings in the application, but in reality for many applications this would be an inordinate amount of additional code and thus will not happen. Certainly in Calibre which makes a very wide usage of tooltips there is no such level of control.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Although at one level you are correct, with most modern GUI toolkits it is automatic the moment you set the Tooltip property on an item in the UI so in reality the application programmer is never aware that this is happening.

It would be possible to protect every attempt to set a tooltip according to preference settings in the application, but in reality for many applications this would be an inordinate amount of additional code and thus will not happen. Certainly in Calibre which makes a very wide usage of tooltips there is no such level of control.
Yes, that's what I suspected was the case. Thank you for the clarification.