Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
upplepop
upplepop is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Get a $20 Barnes & Noble gift card for $10

On Groupon today, you can buy a $20 B&N gift card for $10. It's usable in-store or online. The description says it can be used for the nook, so I assume it can be used for eBooks as well. The offer is available now through February 8th.

You can purchase it here.

If you're new to Groupon, here's my affiliate link if you want to join.

Note: as of this posting, they're experiencing login issues on their site due to high traffic volume. It will probably clear up soon.
upplepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
This is great! Clearly groupons answer to living socials amazon deal...and the consumers win!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Well I was excited by this, but it says I can't use it on the same day it is printed, and with Nooks seeming to be in shorter supply I didn't want to leave it until next week (can't go tomorrow).

Good mother that I am I dragged my two kids down to the states for the evening. They have a pro-d day tomorrow.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
marty888
marty888 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 - wifi + 3G
I received the email confirming my purchase (and their charge to my CC) last evening, but when I click through to sign in at Groupon, I keep getting a "log-in not available at this time". It's been that way for over 12 hours now.

Very annoying, and does nothing to make me a fan of Groupon.
marty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
upplepop
upplepop is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
I'm still having login issues as well. I can't believe they still haven't fixed them. However, I've been able to successfully log in at http://my.groupon.com.
upplepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Yep, use the my. login, print the coupon (actually, just open the PDF), copy the code and pin into the box on the Manage Gift Cards for eBooks and it is now ready to go.

Still have a couple of days to sign up (all groupons have a requirement to print and use a day after purchase).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I have this in added to my account for ebooks, but do I have to use it right away? Once I add it to my account does it just stay like a regular gift certificate? Haven't used Groupon before.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I love these things. I just ordered a $10 Gift Card using my PNC points, so I'm getting $30 for $10 all together....woo!!!!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

Still have a couple of days to sign up (all groupons have a requirement to print and use a day after purchase).
Huh? I've been using groupon for over a year and there is no such requirement. Many groupons let you use the same day, and some groupons restrict that you can't use until after a certain date (i.e., the following day, after the weekend, etc.) but you can print and use a groupon any time after the start date and before the expiration date.

(in most cases, you can also use the groupon for the value that you paid after the expiration date, too.)
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I have this in added to my account for ebooks, but do I have to use it right away? Once I add it to my account does it just stay like a regular gift certificate? Haven't used Groupon before.
As long as you use the groupon before the expiration date (4/10), you should be able to use the full $20 value. However, per the full terms and conditions, if there is any unused portion after 4/10 you may lose the value, up to $10. In the t&c the example given is that if you bought the $20 deal, and only used $4, then on 4/11 your balance would be reduced by $10 and you would only have an additional $6 to spend (not $16).

Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Just to clarify, the expiration date is 4/11 not 4/10 as stated above.

I have not gotten my email yet for my purchase, I hope it comes today!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
bookwerm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Just to clarify, the expiration date is 4/11 not 4/10 as stated above.

I have not gotten my email yet for my purchase, I hope it comes today!

Nope, it expires on 4/10. just checked the site and my groupon to confirm.

For people still waiting, as an FYI, i purchased through my groupon app on my Droid and got the confirmation and code within an hour. However, I asked a friend to buy one for me as well, and she did via the website, and is still waiting for confirmation...
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Thanks so much for posting this, upplepop! Much appreciated!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by upplepop View Post
The description says it can be used for the nook, so I assume it can be used for eBooks as well.
Anyone had any success using it on ebooks?

B&N's history with weird card limitations is too shaky, IMO, to just assume.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I used it on eBooks at BN.com

note: To go back and check the balance you have to input the gift card and PIN number again - it doesn't just track it the way that Amazon does.

Also, it didn't actually deduct the balance from my gift card until a couple of hours after I made the purchase. At first I thought that it must have gone against my credit card because my Gift Card balance was still showing as $20.

But I was able to download the eBooks immediately.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote