Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
KeithJ108
KeithJ108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Forcing update of book size

Hi,

I have some books in Calibre that are in PDF format. I have optimised some of them, after adding to Calibre, so their size is reduced.

Is there a way to force Calibre to update the "Size" column to reflect the new size (without removing and re-adding the book)? Nothing I've tried as made the value update.

Thx,
KeithJ108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Quality Check PI:Fix: Check and Repair Book Sizes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
KeithJ108

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the plug-in as suggested and it reports all book sixes are OK despite Mac OS X Finder and Adobe Acrobat reporting a reduce file size.

Anything else I can try?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJ108 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the plug-in as suggested and it reports all book sixes are OK despite Mac OS X Finder and Adobe Acrobat reporting a reduce file size.

Anything else I can try?
The calibre reported size is for the Largest format of that title, not a specific format. 2 formats =Largest. 1 format =actual. Sizes are rounded
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
KeithJ108

These books only have 1 format (PDF) and the size reported is more than double the current size.

If I re-add the pdf as another book the size is reported correctly - I thought there would be a better solution than re-adding all the books.
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
These books only have 1 format (PDF) and the size reported is more than double the current size.

If I re-add the pdf as another book the size is reported correctly - I thought there would be a better solution than re-adding all the books.
Have you tried to update the book by dropping it on the list of formats in the Edit Metadata dialog for the book in question?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
KeithJ108

Yes, that works! Thanks.

So I guess Calibre doesn't refresh the stored book size after the book is added but I wonder why the Quality Check plug-in didn't work.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

Running this on W7 right now.
I agree, no way should it report no problems with my Library. I do lots of edits, adding and removing book content.
( obviously, I have been remiss in keeping all aspects of the metadata current. For most parts, I don't worry about overall size if the book WORKS)

It may have gotten broken with the DB backend changes. Kiwidude should be along shortly