Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Question Req Help with "strange" search

Hi All Gurus
Hope some of you can help with this.

I always use newest Calibre, have a K3, always fetch annotations, and have collections on K3 by Author. Using the Kindle Collections plugin, I import K3 collection to custom column #k_collection.

What I've been strugling with is this (hope it makes sense, still thinking ):

I'm looking for a search/method of identifying books in Calibre, who's Author already is/has a collection on K3, BUT only the books that are not loaded on the K3

Why ? Have 1700 books in Calibre, 185 Authors, 1056 books (so far) on K3. Having to go through all authors in calibre to check this is ... boring. I'm lazy

Also I imagine my library to expand in the future, hehe

Hope this makes sense and is understandable ?

Ex.: Author AAA now has 12 books in Calibre, but 3 months ago I had 3 and sent them to K3 and created Author collection. Well, that was 3 months ago, so I might not remember
A "supersearch" would tell me that Author AAA has 9 books in Calibre not yet sent to K3, But ONLY because collection/author AAA is on K3 already.

I don't care whether K3 has to be connected or not during this search.

I was thinking something like:
if ondevice=true, "find unique" author/collection, for each "unique author/collection" find in calibre ebooks NOT ondevice
(alternatively #k_collection could be used instead of ondevice ?)

But my brain get's fried at this point.
Don't know if it's possible, but would like to find out.

Thanx to all fellow members, for help and inputs.

Have a nice weekend/summer
Per

Edit: Just spotted that a new entry popped up in "the left pane (windows) called K Collection, containing a list of collections on my K3 (only because I imported them)
Hmmm, I wonder ... if that might help.

Last edited by pchrist7; 07-10-2011 at 02:29 AM.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hmmm.... interesting challenge.

Given the existence of the kindle collections column, I think the query could be described as:

step 1: find all books by any author of a book with an entry in k_collections. Lets call this list "possibles".
step 2: find all books with an author in possibles and k_collections:false.

You can do this using user categories. What you do is:

1. Create a user category called "possibles" (or some such). Make sure it has no items in it.
2. Search for k_collections:true. Finds all books in kindle collections.
3. Select all books found in step 2.
4. Click/drag any authors cell to possibles. This will enter all the authors for the selected books into the user category.

We now have the list "possibles" described in step 1.

The search described in step 2 is "@possibles:true and k_collections:false" (no quotes). This will find all books by authors listed in the user category that do not have a value in k_collections.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Lightbulb Thanks a LOT !

Hi Chaley
Thank you for "biting" on this one as well
Never thought of user categories, since I've never used them before

Your suggestion works brilliant, am surprised how many books I forgot to send to K3.

One question: It takes 6+ minuttes to drag/drop into possibles category, ie. until Calibre responds again. Is this normal ?
(pretty quick system, 1028 books with contents in k_collection)

Anyways this is doable, won't impact until I do this.
Was thinking python,templates, getting in way over my head ;-D

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Per
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
One question: It takes 6+ minuttes to drag/drop into possibles category, ie. until Calibre responds again. Is this normal ?
No. It was a coding stupidity, helped by python's indentation scheme. I was updating the tag browser for every dropped author instead of doing it once at the end. Four extra little space characters. Sigh...

I fixed that and improved a couple of other things. It now takes around a second to drop 2000 books with 500 authors.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict

Talking Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No. It was a coding stupidity, helped by python's indentation scheme. I was updating the tag browser for every dropped author instead of doing it once at the end. Four extra little space characters. Sigh...

I fixed that and improved a couple of other things. It now takes around a second to drop 2000 books with 500 authors.
Hi Chaley.
Good to hear it'll be fixed.
Don't worry, it's almost always the little details that screw things up.
Thanks again,
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict

Talking WOAW !!

Quote:

Hi Chaley !
Wow ! WHAT a performance improvement !
Brilliant !
Cheers,
Per
Old 07-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

You are welcome. I wish all were this easy to fix.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
pchrist7
Addict

Hmm - somethings different with 8.12/8.13

Quote:
You are welcome. I wish all were this easy to fix.
Ho Chaley
Sorry to disturb, but I just did my first run of the procedure using Calibre 8.12, and books were missed. Sigh.
Just in case I upgraded to 8.13, but can't check yet.
Either because the new 8.23 INSISTS on creating new Library backup of ALL books in my library, or ....
Well, tomorrow.

Edit: For once I started Calibre via the update gui, and not via windows cmd using calibre-debug -g
SO .. hmmmm

Brgds Per

Last edited by pchrist7; 08-05-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Per, You need to do step two again each time the kindle collections are changed. Did you?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
pchrist7
Addict

Blody Antivirus, but something else is up

Quote:
Per, You need to do step two again each time the kindle collections are changed. Did you?
Hi Chaley
YEP !
I always delete the user category, create new with SAME name, do the procedure, and ... worked brilliantly during our session.
Due to work and other stuff, I only had a chance to do the same today using 0.8.12 and at LEAST 1 book was missing from the search results.
Still need to investigate, but I'm SURE collections (Author) is the absolute same as Author column of this book.

Re the total Calibre backup: Sigh, my AntiVirus decided to disregard my "exception rules" for Calibre.
I'll just have to wait, will look into it to morrow.

Hmmmm: Calibre might be doing a full backup, but ... why don't I have any results from my drag-drop to user category possibles ???????????????
10 min+

BUG ????

Brgds Per
Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmmm: Calibre might be doing a full backup, but ... why don't I have any results from my drag-drop to user category possibles ???????????????
10 min+
I just dropped 2000 books with 500 authors onto a user category. It took under a second.

Seems like you have evil garden gnomes in your computer.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
pchrist7
Addict

Red face Something has changed ! MY BRAIN - All OK

Quote:
I just dropped 2000 books with 500 authors onto a user category. It took under a second.

Seems like you have evil garden gnomes in your computer.
Thanx Chaley

How to change Subject of Post ?
NOW my brain is OK, but it wasn't before my previous post.

Stupid, stressed out IT guy forgot to drag the author column to possibles

SO SORRY for wasting your time !!!!
Yes, it was at least as fast as before, and yes it caught ALL books.
Note to self: sleep on it, and then try again

The full backup of Calibre library caused by upgrade, I'll have to check next week, and maybe post about it, but not here ;-D

Thank you SO much for your prompt responses, I'm SO embarased right now !

Brgds Per

Last edited by pchrist7; 08-05-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm SO embarased right now !
Don't be embarrassed. I can't count the number of times that I have done something similar. One example: forgetting to give our cat-sitter our alarm code when we left for two weeks. She was dedicated enough to visit & feed the cats even while the alarm was going off (the neighbors knew her). She didn't yell at me (much) when we got back. Another more germane example: typing a set of configuration commands into the wrong terminal window, destroying my small company's web server instead of configuring my family's VPN. Sigh...
Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
forgetting to give our cat-sitter our alarm code when we left for two weeks.
I gave her the code. She was doing us a big favor and she really had other things that needed her attention. I failed to mention/notice that the alarm had been a bit flakey about accepting the code in the prior week. I failed to tell the neighbors we were leaving and she'd be there. The alarm managed to break the first time she showed up. She tried and tried to enter the valid code, but it wouldn't accept it. The alarm went off, the neighbors called the cops. She got the plants watered and avoided arrest, but it was a mess.

I still owe her big-time.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 AM   #15
pchrist7
Addict

Thumbs up Thank you guys

Nice to hear we all goof up once in while.
My thinking is that if you do something, you might make a mistake/error.
Any person stating never having made an error, in my mind has never done anything

Have a nice weekend,

Brgds Per