Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
FrozenInferno
FrozenInferno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Always Produces TOC

Got a bit of a problem. I'm editing some mobi files in Calibre, but every time I convert, regardless of whether the documents already have a TOC or not, a new one is produced anyway. I've made sure "Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents" is unchecked but the problem persists. I've noticed the only way to get it to not produce/duplicate the TOC is to check the "Do not add Table of Contents to book" under the MOBI Output tab, but that's no good as it pretty much nullifies batch conversion.

Thoughts?
FrozenInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can set that option for batch conversion as well, via Preferences->Conversion Options->Output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
FrozenInferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can set that option for batch conversion as well, via Preferences->Conversion Options->Output
Right, but then no effort is made to add a TOC to the documents that don't already have one. Is the only way to make sure a batch of documents have TOCs without duplicates to do it manually one by one?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, there isn't.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
FrozenInferno

To clarify, there's no way for Calibre to detect whether a document already has a TOC during conversion and disable the TOC function for that document if it does?

If so, do you think something like this would be difficult to implement?
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
To clarify, there's no way for Calibre to detect whether a document already has a TOC during conversion and disable the TOC function for that document if it does?

If so, do you think something like this would be difficult to implement?
This sounds like a potential candidate for the Quality Check plugin, you might want to ask over in that plugin thread if this is something kiwidude might consider adding.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125428

I'm not sure what the plugin would need to look for though, maybe a <guide> element?
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, calibre detects TOCS in the input document just fine.

This question has now come up often enough, that I've added it to the calibre FAQ:

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...-in-mobi-files

P.S: If I ever meet Amazon in a dark alley, only one of us is making it out alive.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Just read the new FAQ item, makes sense, but wondering about one thing. I realize Calibre always detects the existing metadata TOC, but it doesn't necessarily detect an existing human readable TOC that the mobi format uses, does it? I'm guessing (but not certain) that it might detect an existing human readable TOC if it already has an OPF/Mobi equivalent reference like this:
Code:
<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="filename.html#bookmark"/>
</guide>
Reading further at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123170

Seems to indicate that a human readable TOC could potentially be placed anywhere if OPF references it correctly.

My guess is the problem would be for the files which have a human readable TOC at the beginning of the document that's not properly referenced in the manifest. I don't think Calibre can detect this - I'm not arguing it should, any attempt to do so would definitely be a guess, as there would be no way to distinguish an index from a TOC for example.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
FrozenInferno

What a mess. Contrary to the FAQ entry though, I noticed that the Kindle (3 at least) is indeed able to access content TOCs from the menu. I assume this is true as I checked "Do not add Table of Contents to book" in the output settings, and there seems to be no extra TOC at the end of the document.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, you can place a MOBI metadata TOC anywhere in a MOBI file and point to it in the guide. But calibre will not, it always places a metadata TOC at the end of the file. This is to remain consistent with the semantic distinction between a metadata TOC and a content TOC.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
FrozenInferno

Ah, so it is a metadata TOC.