Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
umpi
umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Wait a little more or...?

Hi all,

in 2 days it will be one month since I placed my order for a PRS 950 on Borders US. I expect to receive soon an automatically generated email from Borders asking if I want to extend for 30 more days my order or cancel it.

Some of you are probably aware of the financial troubles Borders US is going through. If you also consider the absolute impossibility to buy easily even a PRS 650 in Europe (not to mention the 950) you can imagine that the search for somebody living in UK (me) is not easy.
Staff working in a local Sony retail told me that they will not receive any more the 650 as (they said...) they are waiting for the next generation of Sony Readers to be released.

So I need a suggestion. Should I simply cancel my order at Borders and wait for a brand new generation of Sony Readers OR wait a little more to have my order shipped? Would you consider wise to wait for the next generation to be released assuming we actually don't know whether it will happen soon?

I am quite frustrated. Thanks for any suggestion.

Last edited by umpi; 02-20-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: 30 more months --> 30 more days
umpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Well, you already have the order placed. I would just let it continue waiting until you see something else you like, at which point you can cancel it.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
I would wait. The device is worth it.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just went to sonystyle.com and added one to my cart and it said it was in stock and would ship on 2-21
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
You are lucky, Purple Lady. You can do this, because you are living in the US. umpi can't do this, because he lives in the UK. We love Sony for its partitioning of the world. :-(
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
My local Waterstones have it in, and on display, the 350 as well, but in the new generic Waterstones packaging, along with iRiver, and a couple of other makes I can't remember, plus stacks of accessories - as I pondered before, have they bought the rights from Sony and all the others ? Or is it a contractual thing they have negotiated ?
'Cos the Sony shop still says not available...........
All very odd.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
umpi
umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.umpi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Hi all,

thanks for answering my post. I appreciate. Anyway, as mentioned by ThR, living in the US would make pretty easy to access a 650/950 as you can buy at SonyStyle and provide a US address. Otherwise, no way...

But again, the dilemma is: assuming all these trouble are due to a relatively "forthcoming" release of a new Sony Reader (I don't buy the "shortage of Pearl screens" story anymore...), it might be a bit silly to try desperately to buy a Sony reader now IF (!) a new Sony reader is going appear on the market relatively "soon"...
...who knows...
umpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Oh no...............

God no - that would mean more info + traffic on the "official" site - which is already the slowest, most unhelpful in the world !!
At least in the UK.

And it'll take 'em a year to get the glitches ironed out.

If it's true...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
At first it was just the 650s that were unavailable. Now it is the case with the 950s as well. Local retailers do not have any, aside from unsold items previously in stock. If you try to place an order for one from any major internet retailer, you will find they are out of stock and be told they are back ordered for a period time which seems to just keep increasing instead of decreasing.

The only place one may readily order these devices is from the Sony Style site itself.

In the scarcity of 650s and 950s, for those with more modest requirements, there are plenty of 350s still floating around out there, and their prices are slowly and quietly being pushed upward by retailers. (ah, the good old days when you could easily find one for $139.99...)

What could be behind this? Sony thought only the 350 would be a big seller, so underproduced the other models? Or maybe a major production fiasco?

Who knows, maybe the 350 is also headed toward "permanently backordered" status, just at a slower pace!

Last edited by sovre; 02-23-2011 at 05:19 PM.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
mcorsi
mcorsi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950 & Kindle 3
How about using a 3rd party shipping company?

I bring this up, because I run into this issue all the time (I live in Germany). For me it's a bit different as I work for the for the Military so I have an APO address, but many times company's will not ship to it. For me I use a company called APObox.com which gives me a stateside address and then they forward it to me, but of course this is only for APO addresses (their is also a small fee + shipping cost). Doing a little looking around though and I found many companies who offer the same service (giving you an US address and forwarding it) but that actually ship it anywhere worldwide. So basically you could order it from SonyStyle, you'll just have to pay a little extra to use these sites services.

A few I found were: MyUS, MailBox Exchange and ShipItO to just name a few that are out there.

BTW, they also have the 950 available from Best Buy, so if you are considering using one of the above services I'd go with the one that charges less to ship it to the address you receive to help save $$. A lot of times you'll find you can ship it for free to your "US address" so you are not really paying that much more at all to get it.

Last edited by mcorsi; 02-24-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: grammatical mistakes
mcorsi is offline   Reply With Quote