Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
JasonPaulClaire
Enthusiast
JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Question Video in Calibre

Hi Everyone, I hope you can help.

I have a problem. I'm trying to make an EPUB book with calibre, word and powerpoint (also tried the equiv on openoffice - same results).

I have some text and a short video which I want to bundle into the epub doc. I have figured out that I need to put the video into a slide then import that as an object into word. everything is cool until I get to the calibre stage. When I tried to convert to EPUB (from RTF) it says the WMF (video) isn't supported by calibre so I've hit a stumbling block - suggestion convert to a web page.

So, I generated a single web page with front page 2003, saved it as pure HTML and imported that into calibre. However, when I view the OCF file (I think it's the same as an epub - I could be wrong) the video is nowhere to be seen.

Can anyone help.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Jason
JasonPaulClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There was a recent thread on this. The OP solved his problem, it seems, but never posted much details on to how he did it. Try asking.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
JasonPaulClaire
Enthusiast
JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JasonPaulClaire has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Manichean for the reply, will follow the thread. Could I just ask what OP is?

Many thanks for your help
Jason
Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaulClaire View Post
Thanks Manichean for the reply, will follow the thread. Could I just ask what OP is?

Many thanks for your help
Jason
Oh, I used that as short for the original poster (that is, the guy who initially asked the question).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
JasonPaulClaire
Enthusiast

Durrrr Sorry it's me. Just getting to grips with the short hand used by everyone.

I've now posted a comment on the original thread. It looks like if hard13 lets us know how he did it then it will solve a lot of problems for a lot of people.

Have a great day and thanks for the info.
Warmest regards
Jason
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
JasonPaulClaire
Enthusiast

By the way Manichean cool profile picture.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Durrrr Sorry it's me. Just getting to grips with the short hand used by everyone.

I've now posted a comment on the original thread. It looks like if hard13 lets us know how he did it then it will solve a lot of problems for a lot of people.

Have a great day and thanks for the info.
Warmest regards
Jason
Hmmm... I moved the other thread to the epub workshop before I saw this thread, because it didn't appear to be calibre-related, and they'd know more about it over there.

(The link to the thread is still the same, and I left a redirect on it. It just won't show in the calibre forum list after awhile.)

I'm thinking we might just straddle the fence a bit and leave this thread in here and that one over there, until we figure out if the issue is with calibre or epub...

How's that work for y'all?
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #8
JasonPaulClaire
Enthusiast

Smile Video in epub/ocf for ipod/pad

Hi Manichean. checkout the following

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...s-on-ipad.html

Thought I would let you know that epub with video works. Hard13 never followed up the post but I will let you know what I did to get it working, so here goes......

I just made a simple webpage, ran this through IE and FIREFOX to see if the video would show. Neither showed the video (well on my system anyways). Ran it through SAFARI and the video played. So I knew I had got the code right. I recommend using SAFARI for testing the code.

Then used CALIBRE to condense to an EPUB (produced and OCF) I uploaded the single OCF to my ipod touch and it worked fine (for some reason it would not play OGG file formats, guess it likes MP4 etc instead.

The following was my html file.

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
video here
<break>
<video src="aa.m4v" NOTE will try MP4 next and post result
controls="true"
width="320"
height="240"
autoplay="FALSE">
</video>
</html>

You can then jazz this up however you like. I hope this helps you and anyone else looking for video in epub.

Best wishes Jason
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I assume you're testing that in iBooks?

The <video /> tag is HTML5, and since iBooks uses Safari's WebKit rendering engine that supports HTML5, it appears to work. Why didn't it work in IE (assuming 7 or 8 and not the 9 beta) and Firefox (I assume 3.x, not the 4 beta)? Those don't support HTML5. If you'd tried it in Chrome prior to 9 it should've worked (Chrome 9 removed H264 support for <video /> tags, though there's a plug in from Microsoft to re-add support).

Why didn't OGG work? Because iOS doesn't support OGG codecs (I assume by "ogg" you actually mean "ogg theora video and ogg vorbis audio in an ogx container", but it doesn't really matter -- iOS supports neither the ogg container nor the theora video codec nor the vorbis audio codec). MP4 uses H264 video and AAC audio, and iOS supports all of those (the container and codecs). M4V is just a different way to name MP4 files, so either should work.

Note that this probably won't work in other ePub readers like Stanza and Bluefire on iOS or Aldiko and FBReader on Android or Freda on WP7 or anything using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Also, it's unclear how this will convert to other formats, like MOBI for Kindle (but I see you already posted about that).

As long as you're okay with your book only working in iOS's iBook reader, this is a good solution. It's not technically a valid epub, though, since <video /> is not a supported OEBPS tag. It works with iBooks because Apple was lazy about building their reader to OEBPS compliance.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
JasonPaulClaire
Enthusiast

Smile

Hi Toddos, my remit was to look at ibooks and epub (I know that it isn't really part of epub as outlined by many posters). My publishers are looking eventually shifting their books onto many e-platforms. I've advised them that epub, kindle etc. is best to use static images/traditional eink etc. But they want to take advantage of the ibook/video for other reasons as I've posted in the past.

Thanks for all your comments though and have a great day
best wishes
Jason
Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hi Manichean. checkout the following

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...s-on-ipad.html

Thought I would let you know that epub with video works. Hard13 never followed up the post but I will let you know what I did to get it working, so here goes......

I just made a simple webpage, ran this through IE and FIREFOX to see if the video would show. Neither showed the video (well on my system anyways). Ran it through SAFARI and the video played. So I knew I had got the code right. I recommend using SAFARI for testing the code.

Then used CALIBRE to condense to an EPUB (produced and OCF) I uploaded the single OCF to my ipod touch and it worked fine (for some reason it would not play OGG file formats, guess it likes MP4 etc instead.

The following was my html file.

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
video here
<break>
<video src="aa.m4v" NOTE will try MP4 next and post result
controls="true"
width="320"
height="240"
autoplay="FALSE">
</video>
</html>

You can then jazz this up however you like. I hope this helps you and anyone else looking for video in epub.

Best wishes Jason
yes this is the code that i use, i'm sorry i haven't followed the threads..=)
for multiple pages the video can be add one, when you add another video it will not run.
but i've figured it out.. and i have tried it, and it's works. You can add videos in multiple pages, one problem that i have is, i can't still figure it out how to make the video vertically align middle..

(sorry for my english)
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
JasonPaulClaire
Enthusiast

Hi Hard13, sent you a message but will try to solve the problem from my end as of the vertical align.

Best wishes
Jason

Tags
calibre, html, problem, rtf, video converter