Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #106
bluila
bluila began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Does anyone know if it's possible to charge some dictionary in it?

Moreover, is it possible to use it on a book not buyed on th B&N store?

I'm italian, I'd like to read some english or french books (not buyed on the store) and it would be great to be able to use dictionaries...
bluila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #107
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
That would be because it's reading the card not downloading it's contents.
Yes. The SD Card is extra storage. The only way to move files from your SD Card to the nook memory (or nook mem to SD) is to hook it up to your computer and transfer the files to your computer HD, first.

Your answer sounded like it asking for confirmation, but probably didn't.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #108
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
SD cards

Can someone tell me if it is true that if I pull out my SD card from my Nook Touch or Color that it will lose all the books stored on the card?

Another thing that surprised me, I copied all my books from the Color to the Touch but run out of room before finishing. That astonished me. Why doesn't the Touch have the same amount of memory. I ended up copying the books to an SD card I put in and that was OK but if I take it out..what happens?

Thanks
Kym
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #109
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Why would you lose your books? They are still on your sd card. The nook reads the sd card.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #110
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
The only circumstance under which you might lose your books is if you just yank the card out without powering off the unit or doing the unmount thing. And like yanking it unceremoniously out of your computer, it is hit or miss whether you mess something up.

In the "Settings/Device Info" menu, there is an SD Card line that gives a selection for "Unmount for Safe Removal" which allows you to remove the SD card in the same manner as removing it from your computer.

As far as I know, if you power the unit off (not just standby), it serves the same purpose.

Edit: Naturally, if you have removed the card from the reader, the books on it are no longer available until you plug it back in.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-03-2011 at 01:22 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #111
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmmm View Post
Another thing that surprised me, I copied all my books from the Color to the Touch but run out of room before finishing. That astonished me. Why doesn't the Touch have the same amount of memory.
They're quite different devices. The Color is effectively a tablet, on which one might want to store movies, music, games and other files that take up much, much more space than ebooks. It only makes sense that it would have more storage right out of the box than a device that can only handle ebooks and some pictures.

I don't know when you got your Nook Color, but both devices now dedicate most of their storage to B&N store purchases. Up until about six weeks ago, Nook Colors shipped with 5GB available for sideloaded content AND B&N-purchased books and magazines, and less than 1GB for B&N-purchased apps. Now, they ship with 5GB for B&N-purchased books, magazines, AND apps, and less than 1GB for sideloaded content. About 2GB is devoted to system files and recovery/factory reset data, for 8GB total storage.

The Nook Touch only has 2GB total storage, devoting 1GB to system/recovery, about 750MB to B&N purchases, and only about 250MB for sideloaded content. If any of the books on your NC were B&N purchases, you would be better off re-downloading them from your B&N account to the Touch than moving the files from your NC to the Touch.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #112
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
None were BN downloaded books as I live in Australia, they are all sideloaded. I am lucky that I bought my NC back in December last year then so it has the larger amount of memory for sideloaded books.
Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I was confused about the shelving issue. I am sure someone said somehwere that removing the SD card did something to the memory but it may have been dismantling your shelf content...

Kym
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #113
applepie
Enthusiast
applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Nook, Kindle
I bought my Nook few months ago and absolutely love it. I use it every day.
applepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #114
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by applepie View Post
I bought my Nook few months ago and absolutely love it. I use it every day.
Which one did you get? The old eink model with the touchscreen 'bar' at the bottom, the new one with full eink touchscreen, or the Nook Color?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #115
Tekkish
Tekkish began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I got my Nook Simple Touch about a week ago, and I couldn't be happier with the device (LOVE the touch screen). However, I do have a few questions.

I turned on my Nook before I charged it to set it up (whoops). Will this permanently damage my battery now?

Additionally, I topped my Nook off a few times (not to full all the time, sometimes just to get a bit of extra juice). However, I heard I should wear down the battery fully before charging. Is this true?

EDIT: Customer service issue resolved. B&N's customer service is actually pretty good.

Thank you for all your help!

Last edited by Tekkish; 08-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Tekkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #116
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I just got my Nook STR! Very happy with it so far, I read about 1h30 this morning and the experience is great. I loaded around 70 books today and it worked great. No problem with the covers, and I like that sideloaded books appears in the Library with the books that I bought on B&N. At first I thought I had to go into "My Files".
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #117
RandyD
RandyD began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
New to the forum and a new Nook user. Purchased my new Nook ST a few days ago and now I find a great forum. I am really enjoying the Nook and can see how much more I will be reading.
Randy
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #118
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Good luck with your Nook and welcome to the forum!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #119
DigitalGrl
DigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileReadDigitalGrl has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hello new to the forum and a new Nook Color user as of yesterday. Looking forward to making some friends!
DigitalGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #120
applepie
Enthusiast
applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Which one did you get? The old eink model with the touchscreen 'bar' at the bottom, the new one with full eink touchscreen, or the Nook Color?
Mine is the cheapest one. I paid $170 or so. I only need it for reading.
I bought Kindly few days ago. Now I don't know which is better - Nook or Kindly. They both are great!
applepie is offline   Reply With Quote