Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
aeolus
aeolus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with Turkish Characters

Hi everyone,

I will acquire my Kindle 3 within two days, so I started to convert the pdf's (text based) and some other files (doc,rtf...) to .mobi with Calibre. But everytime I tried, Turkish characters such as "ı,ş,ğ,ü,ö,ç,İ.." causes problems to me because they show up only with some idiot symbols.

What should I do to fix it?
aeolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
sbilek
sbilek has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle 3 wifi
slm kardeş umarım türkçe biliyorsundur... calibre kullanarak yapman gereken şudur;
convert book seçeneneğine tıkladığında sol tarafta seçenekler göreceksin mobi <-- şeklinde olan seçeneğe tıkladığnda font seçme hakkı sunuyor sana ben arial ms unicode seçiyorum. ve ı,ş,ğ,ü,ö,ç,İ harfleri sıkıntı yaratmadan okunuyor. zaten kindle'a dönüştürdüğün dosyayı attığın zaman kindle kendi fontu ile okuyor ve arial fontunda okumak zorunda da kalmıyorsun. iyi günler umarım faydalı olmuştur...
sbilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a character encoding issue. Mobi is not a Unicode-based file format, so you need to tell Calibre what code page it should use for its conversion. It default to code page 1252 (Western European).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
AxAx
AxAx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle last gen
hmm, I don't think they ship nor support kindles in turkey.

Anyway your solition is changing the character encoding, something like UTF-8 should work fine
AxAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolus View Post
Hi everyone,

I will acquire my Kindle 3 within two days, so I started to convert the pdf's (text based) and some other files (doc,rtf...) to .mobi with Calibre. But everytime I tried, Turkish characters such as "ı,ş,ğ,ü,ö,ç,İ.." causes problems to me because they show up only with some idiot symbols.

What should I do to fix it?
benim yaptıklarımda bir sıkıntı olmuyor. belki de nedeni dili türkçe olarak seçmemdir.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Sorry for rezzing this old thread but I am having difficulty converting an .rtf file to mobi or epub which displays the fonts properly under MS word.

Both conversions can't display Turkish characters properly.

I did try encoding with utf-8 but it is not working. The proper encoding for Turkish is iso8859-9 or win-1254. If these are included in calibre, can someone guide me step by step please?

Thank you
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The Kindle definitely supports Turkish characters. Try creating an ePub with Sigil first:
Simply select all text in the Word document then copy and paste it into Sigil's default Section0001.xhtml document in Wysiwig mode.
If the text displays fine in Sigil, simply save the file as an ePub and convert it with Calibre.
If the characters aren't displayed correctly in Sigil either, there might be a problem with the font and/or encoding of the source file.

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-17-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Doitsu, I will download Sigil and try.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Atilla
Addict

Worked perfectly. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
secretdream
secretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: nook
hi,
i am in trouble with turkish caharacters "ğ" and "ş"...
if i save my txt file with utf 8 encoding,everything is fine except these two letters...
sigil or calibre, shows these caharacters fine...but when i save it as epub,this problem arises...

so,how did you solve this problem exactly?
secretdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
secretdream - Since you have a Nook and and want to use epub files, this question may have been answered more fully in the epub forum here.

Briefly though, it seems that the Nook doesn't have a full Unicode font in it (Neither do the Sony readers, nor most of the ADE derived ereaders). What you will need to do is add (or embed, the word most often used) a font file (or set of files if you want bold and italic and bold-italic characters) into your epub file. That is covered in various threads in the epub forum, as well as in many of the documents about creating epub files.

By the way, ignore any mention of character set encodings - that's a mobi thing. Epub requires Unicode, and most ereaders seem to like UTF-8.

And welcome to MobileRead!

If you have more questions, raise them in the Epub forum. We have some really good people there. (Well, here too, but that's where the epub experts hang out.)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
secretdream
secretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

thank you pholy,
i need to read epub forum...
(i didn't realize that here is only concerned with mobi..)

if i need embedding, i need to learn how to do it...
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@secretdream:

Since font embedding can be a bit tricky, I created a template file with an embedded Deja Vu Sans font (which can be freely distributed). You can use this file to test whether the Nook supports embedded fonts.
If all Turkish characters are displayed OK, you can use this template to create your own ePub. Simply create a copy of this file, open it in Sigil in Book View mode and replace my text with the text from your document.
Attached Files
File Type: epub turkish_template.epub (355.0 KB, 1257 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
secretdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@secretdream:

Since font embedding can be a bit tricky, I created a template file with an embedded Deja Vu Sans font (which can be freely distributed). You can use this file to test whether the Nook supports embedded fonts.
If all Turkish characters are displayed OK, you can use this template to create your own ePub. Simply create a copy of this file, open it in Sigil in Book View mode and replace my text with the text from your document.
i've seen your message just now...
thank you for the template...
i'm trying to do what you say...