Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
zhhbc
zhhbc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Problem handling multi-byte characters?

I loaded an ebook (in epub) into Kobo using Calibre. The book contains multi-byte characters (U+0800 to U+FFFF). Kobo has a problem displaying the content, i.e. all characters show as "?". However, it can show table of content correctly. Is it a known issue?

Thanks,
zhhbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhhbc View Post
I loaded an ebook (in epub) into Kobo using Calibre. The book contains multi-byte characters (U+0800 to U+FFFF). Kobo has a problem displaying the content, i.e. all characters show as "?". However, it can show table of content correctly. Is it a known issue?

Thanks,
I did run into this problem with a book loaded into my Kobo Original. In my case the problem was with the book, not the e-reader. Have you tried to read the book in a Desktop application such as the Kobo Desktop, Adobe ADE or Calibre. If the problem also shows up there, then, there is a problem with the book.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It could also be that the font on the Kobo does not have the entire character set in it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
zhhbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
I did run into this problem with a book loaded into my Kobo Original. In my case the problem was with the book, not the e-reader. Have you tried to read the book in a Desktop application such as the Kobo Desktop, Adobe ADE or Calibre. If the problem also shows up there, then, there is a problem with the book.
Thanks for the suggestion. The book displays correctly in Calibre and iBook. So I believe it's a Kobo problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
zhhbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It could also be that the font on the Kobo does not have the entire character set in it.
It does display the table of content correctly, which also uses multi-byte characters. And book title displays correctly.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
What if you name the file .kepub.epub instead of just .epub?
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
zhhbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
What if you name the file .kepub.epub instead of just .epub?
mdclements, thanks a lot for the suggestion. Renaming the file did the magic. The content display correctly now.

I still have two issues though, hope you can help me out:
1) After renamed the file, the book cover changed to a generic book cover rather than the original book cover.
2) I could NOT change the font size: after pressed bigger (or smaller), it showed as "updating", after "updating" nothing changed. Any clue?

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Unfortunately the font sizing applies to the markup of the Kobo book so this would not work for your particular book. However if you're willing to send me the epub you are trying to load (provided it's not under DRM) I can see if there is anything else possible at this time.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Intriguing... so renaming a book from "foo.epub" to "foo.kepub.epub" seems to force the book into the Kobo reader as opposed to the Adobe reader (not sure of what terms to use here).

The result is that (at least on a Kobo WiFi) that I can now use the dictionary, and things like the page count at the bottom of the Kobo Reader now show the pages in the chapter as opposed to the pages in the book.

However, the display of the book's cover does not work, and also, the font seems a whole lot smaller.

This was all done with a non DRM based book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Intriguing... so renaming a book from "foo.epub" to "foo.kepub.epub" seems to force the book into the Kobo reader as opposed to the Adobe reader (not sure of what terms to use here).

The result is that (at least on a Kobo WiFi) that I can now use the dictionary, and things like the page count at the bottom of the Kobo Reader now show the pages in the chapter as opposed to the pages in the book.

However, the display of the book's cover does not work, and also, the font seems a whole lot smaller.

This was all done with a non DRM based book.

*grin* I really should come back to read posts after they've been replied to before trying to do it with my own wifi.

While I do have the issue with the cover not being shown, I'm not seeing an issue with font sizes; they look fine to me and I'm still able to adjust to a larger/smaller size if I want.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
zhhbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
Unfortunately the font sizing applies to the markup of the Kobo book so this would not work for your particular book. However if you're willing to send me the epub you are trying to load (provided it's not under DRM) I can see if there is anything else possible at this time.
mdclements, what is the best way to send you the epub file without posting to forum? Thanks,
Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
when did you rename the file? I.e. did you load it onto the kobo with calibre first then change the name to kepu.epup or did you change the name first then use calibre to side load?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
mdclements
Kobo Developer

As I posted in the other thread I would discourage you from renaming your sideloaded books to .kepub.epub. Kepub-only functionality will most likely not work.