Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
splendor
Enthusiast
splendor began at the beginning.

Device: irex
RC1 firmware review

1 the contrast rate is better than beta, but still not as good as 1.71.
2 faster to open folders and menu, but page-turning speed for PDF with pictures or scanned books is much slower.
actually, i happened to think that the most useful functions of 2.0 in comparson with 1.71 is the short cuts at the tool bar. otherwise, there are more cons than pros.
splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Here is my own review (copied from another thread). It was written after just one hour with RC1, after which I switched back to the beta version because of the "cons":

Just been playing with it on my DR1000 for about an hour. My very early feedback:

Pros:
- Page turning on cached (i.e. previously viewed) pages seems to be a lot faster. I can't see much improvement on non-cached pages though (in fact, see cons below).
- Contrast is much improved, so that faint text that was hard to read on the beta is now very legible. I would say contrast is as good as the old 1.7 release, which is great.

Cons:
- All my notes and scribbles from the beta version are now misaligned - they are no longer in the same place on the page and even have a different pen thickness. This is particularly troubling where I had underlined or circled words - since I now just have circles and lines at random places on the page. This was a serious disappointment since I have made notes on hundreds of pages since the beta release. Having said that, I did know the beta was a beta, so cannot complain too much.
- Page turns in portrait mode for non-cached pages do not seem to be faster. They seem, in fact, to be slightly slower, but that may be my imagination. In landscape mode the situation is worse in that pages turns for some documents are now much slower than before - in fact, sometimes they may even be hanging the system (twice in the past hour I have rebooted the device because a page turn was taking more than two minutes).
[Very minor] The rotate icon (which I use frequently) is no longer on the toolbar, and has been replaced with a page thumbnails icon (which I never use).

So, I have mixed feelings. The improved contrast is a help, but not at the price of the cons. I am going to switch back to the beta release (if I can).

EDIT: I successfully went back to the beta release, and to my joy all my notes and scribbles are back where they should be.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Image based pdfs are much slower indeed
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Maybe a Bug?

when you block all the buttons and use full screen mode, you cant go back or change page, because you cant select the menu again and the buttons doesnt work, so you will need to reboot the device.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I too noticed that. Especially awkward as I'd locked the bottom Menu button. However touching the side buttons brought up the lower "menu bar" again.

The locking of all buttons and full screen ode has been an issue almost since the beginning with the original firmware. It would be good if you could permanantly enable a "hot" zone that would always bring up the menu, espcially for full screen mode.
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
And the contrast for me is much worse than 1.71

We need another boost on this to read better technical pdfs.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I must admit I don't seem to have a problem with contrast and believe me my eyes are hopeless. Can't see I've noticed any difference.

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Hmm.. widely different opinions on the all important matter of good contrast! Different types of documents perhaps?

whopper / splendor: would you per chance be able to post an example page (as a pdf)? I'd hope that the iRex developers visiting here can be persuaded to look into this, if we can get them material to work with.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I wish I could test this version. I refuse to drop my Mobipocket books and lose my dictionary. At the moment I will be saying goodbye to iRex this Fall when a large number of Window's tablets will come out. I wish iRex would realize what they have done to us. They need to open talks with Amazon. Kindle is on the iPad. This should be an easy fix.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur
Erminio Mostacci began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe, iRex DR 1000, Cybook Gen3
This 2.0 RC1 seemed to have bricked my DR, it installed and when it was about to restart into the new firmware. Nothing. Screen is all blank and only the power (orange) up led and bottom middle led are lit. Tried all kind of resets as well. I tried also to use a new SD card and original IREX SD card formatted. Nothing. DR1000 is completely blocked.
I tried all possible downgrade to beta 0401, 0408 and to firmware 1.7.1, nothing, always a blank screen and the power (orande) up led and bottom middle led are lit.
I opened a case at iRex American support.
By the way, for now, I think that it's better to not use new release of firmware
Erminio Mostacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Trickereader
Trickereader began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92,Irex DR1000S, Bookeen Gen3, Sony PRS500
Hi there,
My first message on this forum.
I recently acquired the Irex DR1000S in v1.7.1.
I'm very happy to see beta versions and feedbacks for this reader.
If you don't mind me asking some questions about this RC1.

I'm interested in the Epub format.
What is the feedback for this format ?
As I understand the epub could be viewed before only by adding the soft FBReader.
What are the advantages of each one ?

Is there a width zoom for PDF, now ?
How is scribble improved in this version ?

It looks like many problems are coming from integrating the Adobe rendering engine...

As for Mobipocket is it possible there'll a new and different version.
Coming from Bookeen Gen3, that's what they did because there was some commercial rules forbidding them to have both formats on one reader.
Anyway on Bookeen there wasn't beta released and we waited over a year for a new firmware...
Trickereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Weird, they have pulled off the dr1000s RC1 blog.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
mmm.. but why ?
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Wow! That is very strange. There could at least be an explanation in place of the removed RC1.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Be cool, downloading the rc1 is still possible...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote