Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Wikipedia articles to epub?

For those of us who do not possess the Kindle reader - what is the easiest way to get articles from wikipedia to an ereader?

I am aware of the service http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia/ but this service is limited to one article per ebook and only provides mobipocket format.

I know that both Calibre and other general format conversion tools could do the job but I am looking for a service that takes advantage of the xml-provided by wikipedia and formats the article adjusted to the small screen on most ereaders. It would also be great if multiple articles could be saved in the same book and if there were an option to include articles referred to in the article.

Last edited by Prospect; 11-26-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
i want that too ... if nobody finds something like that, i might do the work
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
If your device reads PDFs you could use any one of the many print to PDF utilities and make yours directly. I happen to use PrimoPDF ( http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx ) which is free and can concatenate many prints into one PDF.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
If your device reads PDFs you could use any one of the many print to PDF utilities and make yours directly. I happen to use PrimoPDF ( http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx ) which is free and can concatenate many prints into one PDF.
Thanks for the tip, but HTML pages converted to PDF bring out the worst in both formats. It would probably give a better result just to copy the relevant text from the article and save it as txt which most readers handles.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Not exactly what you are looking for as it's only one article per file. There's also no images.

Install Stanza (http://www.lexcycle.com/download)
Open the relevant Wikipedia article in a browser and copy the url
Open Stanza -> Files -> Open location -> when it's opened in Stanza, save as epub

I attached an example.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Norse_mythology.epub (46.0 KB, 501 views)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
cormol
cormol began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600
A more general approach to web pages

I have been looking into creating ePub files from a number of selected web pages to perform off-line reading in an acceptable format. So far I have come up with the following somewhat cumbersome solution which has however the advantage of generating a reasonable format while maintaining pictures.
Software used: MS Word 2003, Add-in to covert to MS reader and Calibre.
To my knowledge the Add-in [http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=en] is not available for a later version of Word.

Process:
Copy and paste the selected web pages in a MS Word document [ if available in print format];
Build Contents at beginning of document with Word feature and change text to preferred font(size);
With Add-in convert to one MS reader file.
And finally convert MS reader to ePub with Calibre.

Any less laborious alternative is appreciated!

Last edited by cormol; 12-04-2009 at 10:17 AM.
cormol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I was thinking of usingg Komposer, an html program. I want to do Wikipedia Countries, and maybe a history of literature anthology. Standard HTML linkage within the document. Should work, no?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote