Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #46
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
I would like to enjoy of the wonderful features of the home screen settings, and tried to insert into the .ini file those entries:

tweaks.library()

tweaks.tweaksSettings()
The syntax is "name=function" as you see it for instance in
Code:
Neustart=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"busybox reboot\")
From your post I understand that you missed the "name=" part. Right?

Quote:
But when I reopen the .ini file after having rebooted the reader, there appears only this:

[CustomCommands]
Neustart=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"busybox reboot\")
Maybe the tool removes invalid lines from the ini file! However, I would not expect this. Are you sure that you saved the file and copied it to the right place?

Quote:
tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"some shell command \")
This is not a meaningful line, it is only an example. "some shell command" has to be replaced by a real command, cf. the quote above.

Last edited by tshering; 03-13-2013 at 12:13 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #47
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
I'm by no means a programmer or something like that. So, I need further instructions.

1. Do I have to substitute 'tweaks.tweaksSettings()' by 'tweaks=tweaksSettings()'?
2. Which one could be the "real command" that I have to put at the place of "some shell command \"?

You are right: when I re-opened the .ini-file, my impression was as if the plugin had substituted my entries by some other ones.

Meanwhile, I have been playing a little, and I saved the file in "Kobotweaks"; now my insertions stay there (more or less), but the result was the same as after the first installation of the plugin.

I save the file in notepad++, but directly in the .kobo file of the reader. Is this a wrong procedure?

Sorry for my ignorance! thanks for your help anyway!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you need

word_to_see_in_menu=tweaks.shelves()

and so on

so maybe you want
shelves=tweaks.shelves()
web=tweaks.openBrowser()
sudoku=tweaks.sudoku()

etc

As for tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"some shell command \") it all depends on what you want to accomplish!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #49
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha, Peter, that's illuminating and conclusive. I'll give a try later and hope it'll work.
Thanks a lot so far!
Jürgen
Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #50
Leonatus
Wizard

Kobo touch tweaks 2.4.0 Fw

This was what I changed, but the result was a middle catastrophe. The "Tools" button appeared, but of all the options I choose, there only worked "Shelves" and "ReadingLife", i. e. they didn't work, they only appeared on the screen. It wasn't even possible to power down the engine, nor to open the "Tools" to achieve the "Reboot" button. So I in stalled the plugin completely new, so that the settings that I had manipulated disappeared from the .ini file.

I think I better stop scamping this way and content me with the Kobo settings.

Nevertheless, thanks to you!
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #51
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Soerry I have never used the plugin so I have to defer to others as to how it works, and on which F/W levels.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #52
Leonatus
Wizard

No problem! That has surely been an erroneous procedure of mine.

How I came across the tweaks plugin (that seems to really be great, if it works), was a very different problem, that I until now not found in any forum.

When I start the KT, there appear at the booting, for a short time, some pre-installed books (such as Umberto Eco, but also Kobo Read on an so). Even having archieved for example the Umberto Eco (that is possible under Fw. 2.4.0), it still appears. After some seconds the screen clears up, and there appear my "own" books that I'm reading. My reasoning was that the booting could become faster, if the system won't access these "Kobo files" first. I had hoped that with the plugin this could be managed.

Deleting the files has not been possible, neither under Calibre ("virtual file"). Someone knows the problem?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

When I start the KT, there appear at the booting, for a short time, some pre-installed books (such as Umberto Eco, but also Kobo Read on an so). Even having archieved for example the Umberto Eco (that is possible under Fw. 2.4.0), it still appears. After some seconds the screen clears up, and there appear my "own" books that I'm reading. My reasoning was that the booting could become faster, if the system won't access these "Kobo files" first. I had hoped that with the plugin this could be managed.

Deleting the files has not been possible, neither under Calibre ("virtual file"). Someone knows the problem?
Are you saying that you have kepubs on the Touch and when you delete them they don't stay deleted? And when you restart the device, these kepubs show on the home screen for a while before being replaced by sideloaded books? Are the sideloaded books on an SD card or main memory? Does it remember the reading status of any of them?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #54
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you saying that you have kepubs on the Touch and when you delete them they don't stay deleted? And when you restart the device, these kepubs show on the home screen for a while before being replaced by sideloaded books? Are the sideloaded books on an SD card or main memory? Does it remember the reading status of any of them?
I tried a radical measure, deleting those Kobo books not only in the bibliotheque, but in the .kobo and in the .kepub files, afterwards also in ADE and in Calibre. So, now these books don't show any more at the starting process, but the screen now shows, in the same way as before, for a short period, the information that the bibliotheque is empty, and that I should load a book first.

Then, this vanishes, and my sideloaded books (on SD-card) appear as usual. As far as I can see, bookmarks are working properly on them when open.

But this is not the progress that I tried to achieve; I have been searching for a way of "eliminating" the pace when the device first accesses the Kobo files. this but seems to be impossible.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I tried a radical measure, deleting those Kobo books not only in the bibliotheque, but in the .kobo and in the .kepub files, afterwards also in ADE and in Calibre. So, now these books don't show any more at the starting process, but the screen now shows, in the same way as before, for a short period, the information that the bibliotheque is empty, and that I should load a book first.
The kepubs should be deleted using the interface on the device. Then do a sync back to the Kobo server. This will remove all details from the device and tell the server you don't want them to be downloaded again. You can get them back later using the Kobo site.

For sideloaded books, whether they are manually added or via ADE or calibre, it is a little better to use the device to delete them. That makes sure everything is cleaned up properly. Deleting from calibre is also safe and simpler if you want to remove a lot of books.
Quote:
Then, this vanishes, and my sideloaded books (on SD-card) appear as usual. As far as I can see, bookmarks are working properly on them when open.

But this is not the progress that I tried to achieve; I have been searching for a way of "eliminating" the pace when the device first accesses the Kobo files. this but seems to be impossible.
I think what is happening is the device starts and displays books from the internal memory. Then it sees the SD card and updates the list to show those books. There probably isn't anything you can do abut this. While I don't use an SD card much, I probably don't see this as I rarely power-off my Glo. It goes to sleep and returning to the Home screen from a book or sleep doesn't have this problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I think what is happening is the device starts and displays books from the internal memory. Then it sees the SD card and updates the list to show those books. There probably isn't anything you can do abut this. While I don't use an SD card much, I probably don't see this as I rarely power-off my Glo. It goes to sleep and returning to the Home screen from a book or sleep doesn't have this problem.
The length of time I see the internal books on the carousel seems to depend on how many books I have on the uSD card and it's speed. With about 1600 book on the uSD card, I see the two books in the internal memory for about 20 seconds. With my previous card and about 1200 books, it took closer to 40 seconds before the books on the carousel updated to the current list. I don't remember seeing deleted books on there but finished books did show up.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #57
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
The kepubs should be deleted using the interface on the device. Then do a sync back to the Kobo server. This will remove all details from the device and tell the server you don't want them to be downloaded again. You can get them back later using the Kobo site.

For sideloaded books, whether they are manually added or via ADE or calibre, it is a little better to use the device to delete them. That makes sure everything is cleaned up properly. Deleting from calibre is also safe and simpler if you want to remove a lot of books.

Luckily, there hasn't happened any trouble by deleting from the files themselves. But I wonder, if this "booting flash" would appear with a sideloaded book that is saved in the internal memory (I just don't remember how it was). I'll try perhaps this weekend.

As to DNSB: The "flash" also remains for some 20 seconds, even with an empty internal bibliotheque. But I suspect that the deleted books will reappear on the next sync.

Besides, I'm still full of sorrow that the tweaks plugin doesn't work on my KT with the home screen manipulations.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
As to DNSB: The "flash" also remains for some 20 seconds, even with an empty internal bibliotheque. But I suspect that the deleted books will reappear on the next sync.

Besides, I'm still full of sorrow that the tweaks plugin doesn't work on my KT with the home screen manipulations.
I think the time that it takes to scan the books on the uSD card is the reason for the delay so even having no books in the internal storage won't make a difference to the time delay. I did try copying books to the internal storage and they showed up when the carousel came up but I have more books than will fit on the internal storage so find it easier to keep my sideloaded books on the uSD card. That way I can pull the card when doing a factory reset or other modifications instead of having to copy the files back and forth.

I also found that the uSD card has quite a effect on the time it took to display the books stored there. There was a discussion together with some test results for various brands -- generally, SanDisk cards came up with the best results on small reads/writes. The results were very surprising with the speeds on 4K blocks varying wildly. On my laptop using it's internal SD card reader, a SanDisk 4GB Class 4 card managed 1.6MB/S using the Crystal DiskMark small block write while a Patriot 16GB Class 10 card managed a pathetic 0.20MB/S (or 200KB/S) result. The read performance doesn't vary as widely but is still very noticeable and seems to have little relation to the large block speed.

Sample from the discussion from a while back:

For your edification, here are some CrystalDiskMark results from 2 sucky cards and the good Sandisk.

__Test_______________Sandisk 8G Class 2___Patriot 8G Class 10____Kingston Class4 4Gig
Sequential Read :__________10.871 MB/s________20.036 MB/s___________18.700 MB/s
Sequential Write :__________6.659 MB/s________13.660 MB/s____________4.277 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :__3.077 MB/s_________3.444 MB/s____________2.088 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :__1.791 MB/s________0.038 MB/s_____________0.016 MB/s

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-15-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Typos, what else is old.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #59
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I think the time that it takes to scan the books on the uSD card is the reason for the delay so even having no books in the internal storage won't make a difference to the time delay. I did try copying books to the internal storage and they showed up when the carousel came up but I have more books than will fit on the internal storage so find it easier to keep my sideloaded books on the uSD card. That way I can pull the card when doing a factory reset or other modifications instead of having to copy the files back and forth.

I also find it, for several reasons, more convenient to save the books on the uSD card. Your report brought me to the idea to just move the books that I' m actually reading from the SD card to the main memory via Calibre, hoping to avoid the double boot syndrom. But when I switch off the reader and turn it on again, there appears the same screen, now with the displaced books, and with the Kobo settings. After a while, the screen changes again to the second movement. It shows the books that I'm actually reading again, but with the surface changed by the tweaks settings. So, in fact, no advancement.

As to the SD card types: I think anybody could tell his own experiences. In my case, the SanDisc (I believe, it was a 4 MB type) was the first one that I bought and lead immediately to the crash of the KT. I tried, afterwards, another SD card of a certain brand that I don't remember, same effect. At last, I bought a no name offer in the supermarket, and this works pretty fine. I have but no means to show the processing details of it.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #60
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Exactly. I keep all of my own books on the external SD, and see this when I power off (and it annoys the heck out of me), but like you I have stopped using power-off. The battery lasts so long in sleep mode, power-off hardly seems worthwhile.

I did consider putting all of my books on the internal memory - after all, I'm a long way from using it all - but then one day I did a factory reset, and realized that there's so much less work to do when my collection is on the SD, as factory reset clears the internal memory but not the external.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote