Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Tanager
Tanager began at the beginning.

Device: Undecided
Question I'm interested in learning more about ebook devices

Hi there - I've been trying to do some on-line research the last few weeks looking for info on which of the portable devices is the best compromise in functionality and price. I came across this forum site quite by accident, but I've read the postings on a few forums already and it looks like I might be able to get some good info here.

My objective is to find a device for reading scientific journal articles in a pdf format. All the info I've come across so far makes me think that all the portable devices, short of a tablet pc, require a huge hassle to get pdf files into a satisfactory format for viewing. But the eReadius looks like it might be an interesting product coming out mid-year.

Looking forward to learning more.
Heidi
Tanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Tanager! I like your Avatar, by the way.

Your conclusion about A4/letter sized PDF files and e-ink Readers is mostly correct. The 6" ones simply aren't well suited to displaying so large a fixed page rendering. (I don't think this is what you meant, but the Readius probably won't be any better on that score )

However, there is one device that has an 8" display, and, by most accounts works quite well for reading PDF files like you're describing, if you don't mind reading them in Landscape mode.

I'd suggest that you look into the iRex iLiad (there's a lot of info in the forums for it here), and see if what it does would work for what you need.

The biggest drawback for it is the price, being almost double that of the 6" devices, but of less concern is the battery life, which is 10~15 hours -- plenty for most folks, but not enough for some.

Hope that helps.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert