Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Pricing sucks!

Ok, I'm about to bitch and moan, you've been forewarned. I would like to buy Watership Down by Richard Adams. Supposedly one of the greatest books of fantasy -- with bunnies as the main characters. Who doesn't love a kick butt bunny book? Remember Peter Rabbit, Mr. McGregor's garden, and lost mittens? I'd like to relive that fast paced excitement.

Here's the problem. The Kindle edition is $13.99 but the Mass Market Paperback edition is $3.98. Yes, I don't have to buy it if I don't like the price, and that is exactly what I'm doing -- not buying it. Nevertheless, it still ticks me off and I feel like moaning.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Preachin' to the choir here, dude. Well, not including the publishing shills that visit here, but you know, most of us.

I wish there was a place to send this (and all other posts in this line) to people who could actually do something.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Ok, I'm about to bitch and moan, you've been forewarned. I would like to buy Watership Down by Richard Adams. Supposedly one of the greatest books of fantasy -- with bunnies as the main characters. Who doesn't love a kick butt bunny book? Remember Peter Rabbit, Mr. McGregor's garden, and lost mittens? I'd like to relive that fast paced excitement.

Here's the problem. The Kindle edition is $13.99 but the Mass Market Paperback edition is $3.98. Yes, I don't have to buy it if I don't like the price, and that is exactly what I'm doing -- not buying it. Nevertheless, it still ticks me off and I feel like moaning.
hummmm.... guess you haven't heard the news about Mr. McGregor... He failed to impress the parole board and he won't be gettin' out anytime soon. That's what you get for harming poor 'ol bunny rabbits...

Perhaps the ebook edition has super duper newly added pics? Collectors edition? Writers commentary? (or perhaps someone is just taking advantage of a new technology?)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
(or perhaps someone is just taking advantage?)

fixed
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
To be fair to Amazon, that $4 MMPB price is for an out of print edition some sellers are claiming as new. Simon & Schuster's cheapest pbook edition in print has a list price of $17, which Amazon is discounting to $11.56 (cheaper than what S&S is setting for the ebook). I think it's price gouging by S&S in all all formats. Unfortunately for ebook customers, there's no legitimate used market like there is for pbooks.

Oh, and another S&S price-gouge: Fahrenheit 451, $6.99 MMPB, $9.99 ebook. I guess S&S CEO Carolyn Reidy lied when she predicted the price of ebooks would gravitate to a couple dollars less than print.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 12-01-2011 at 12:31 AM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
How about the audiobook? It's free at many libraries?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Have you tried other options besides Amazon?
I just looked at kobobooks.com and it's only $7.19 in Australia - still not $3.98 but better than $13.99.
I don't know how much it might be in the US but it's always better to check different sources as no one store is always the cheapest.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
As was mentioned Watership Down list price is $17.00. So the ebook is less expensive than the paperback. Amazon chooses to discount the paperback to $11.56. This is out of the publisher's control.

Regarding Fahrenheit 451- The ebook is published by Simon & Schuster and the MMPB by Random House. The MMPB is a 1987 re-issue. RH is selling off remaining stock before their contract ends.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
jmasta
Banned
jmasta began at the beginning.

Device: None
Sure I will probably get banned for this but that is fine I will simply re-register using a proxy! However [site removed - moderation] has that specific book all over so if your truly sick of being ripped off simply download it for free!

Last edited by dreams; 12-01-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: [site removed - moderation]
jmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
So the ebook is less expensive than the paperback.
Theoretically, perhaps , because ...

Quote:
Amazon chooses to discount the paperback to $11.56. This is out of the publisher's control.
I hate to break it to you, but I really don't care how those prices come about. All that matters to me, as a consumer, is that the ebook has a higher street price than the pbook. It's an automatic no-buy.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
As was mentioned Watership Down list price is $17.00. So the ebook is less expensive than the paperback. Amazon chooses to discount the paperback to $11.56. This is out of the publisher's control.
It is NOT out of the publisher's control that the Amazon is not allowed to discount the ebook. That is what most of us are angry about. Price fixing for ebooks. In the good old days the ebook would have been 9.99, which is reasonable when the paperback is 11.56.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasta View Post
Sure I will probably get banned for this but that is fine I will simply re-register using a proxy! However [site removed - moderation] has that specific book all over so if your truly sick of being ripped off simply download it for free!
No need to join the publishers in the gutter, either don't buy it at all or buy the cheapest pbook and scan it.

Last edited by dreams; 12-01-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: [site removed - moderation] in quote
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I hate to break it to you, but I really don't care how those prices come about. All that matters to me, as a consumer, is that the ebook has a higher street price than the pbook. It's an automatic no-buy.
Why? eBooks are more valuable than pbooks. They never deteriorate, no matter how often you read them, and they occupy no physical storage space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
If it makes you feel better, B&N has the pbook for $14.98.

In any case, the ebook will almost always be pricier than the pbook if you count (as the OP did) all the used pbook prices.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
It is NOT out of the publisher's control that the Amazon is not allowed to discount the ebook. That is what most of us are angry about. Price fixing for ebooks. In the good old days the ebook would have been 9.99, which is reasonable when the paperback is 11.56.
I was referring to Amazon discounting the print edition. That is out of the publisher's control. At least it is in the US.