Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Managing my ebooks

Right now I manage my ebooks using Calibre. I have been using for several years and it works well. The problem is what I really want is Calibre on the iPad, for those times where I'm deciding what to read next. Yes, the category feature for iBooks is a huge improvement and it's not bad, but it doesn't quite do what I want.

I ran across an app called Book Crawler today. So far it looks pretty good. I managed to export my Calibre catalogue out and import it into Book Crawler. It claims to be able to link to iBooks but I haven't been able to get that to work yet.

Has anyone else tried this app? If I can get Calibre, Book Crawler and iBooks to work together, then that would be perfect.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah well, Book Crawler doesn't actually pull up a specific book in iBook or Kindle. Apparently neither the iBook app, not Kindle app support external linking. You can put in a URL to goodreader, but it's a manual process and doesn't seem to be very useful. The author apparently does plan to pursue syncing with Calibre though, which will be good.

Book Crawler does have some good features. I can sort by series and genres, which is nice when trying to figure out what to read next. Perhaps over time, the iBook or Kindle apps will support the openURL call.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
ivers
ivers doesn't litterivers doesn't litter

Device: nook wifi, ipod touch 4th gen
What I do is use the superhero team of Calibre, Calibre OPDS, Dropbox (a 2gb free account is generally roomy enough for a thousand or so ebooks), and Stanza. Search around the forum and you'll find directions for putting your Calibre library "in the cloud" using those tools, and then you can browse your entire collection while away from your computer and download whichever book suits your whim. (You can also browse the html book catalog Calibre OPDS generates from Safari etc). Not sure what sort of iBooks integration can be done (maybe using the Dropbox app will let you import the epubs to iBooks rather than Stanza?) because I don't really bother with iBooks.

Here are the instructions I used
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/create-...-opds-dropbox/

Hope this helps you get something sorted out

obligatory dropbox referral link: if you signup using a referral, you and the referrer each get an extra 250mb of storage. yay!
http://db.tt/nUEULf8

Last edited by ivers; 07-10-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: to add referral link!
ivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivers View Post
What I do is use the superhero team of Calibre, Calibre OPDS, Dropbox (a 2gb free account is generally roomy enough for a thousand or so ebooks), and Stanza. Search around the forum and you'll find directions for putting your Calibre library "in the cloud" using those tools, and then you can browse your entire collection while away from your computer and download whichever book suits your whim. (You can also browse the html book catalog Calibre OPDS generates from Safari etc). Not sure what sort of iBooks integration can be done (maybe using the Dropbox app will let you import the epubs to iBooks rather than Stanza?) because I don't really bother with iBooks.

Here are the instructions I used
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/create-...-opds-dropbox/

Hope this helps you get something sorted out

obligatory dropbox referral link: if you signup using a referral, you and the referrer each get an extra 250mb of storage. yay!
http://db.tt/nUEULf8
Yes, this works pretty well but I agree with OP. I'd like to see Calibre on my iPad too.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I'd like to see Calibre on my iPad too.
It's not going to happen, according to the author.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
It's not going to happen, according to the author.
Yea, I would be real surprised if it was going to happen, given the language that Calibre was written in. On the other hand, I could definitely see him providing some sort of sync mechanism.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If you're WiFi-ing on your local network, you can have Calibre run as a server and connect to it over HTTP from the iPad
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote