Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Alda
Zealot
Alda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Validation issues

Hello,

Am a bit stuck and hoping someone can help.

I've just finished setting up my eBook in Sigil and have run a validation test. I get four messages. I'm new to this, however, so they don't make a lot of sense. The messages are:

Quote:
This resource is present in the OPF <manifest> but it's not reachable (it's unused)
This clearly has something to do with images I've used.

Quote:
This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to the resource exists in the ePub.
This clearly has something to do with fonts.

Quote:
The <language> element is missing.
Quote:
The <title> element is missing.
I've tried opening the book in Calibre and have run the viewer and it all looks fine, so I'm a bit at a loss as to what these message mean.

Can anyone explain and give me tips on how to fix the problems, assuming that's needed?

Incidentally I need idiot-proof instructions. Pls speak to me as you would to a five-year old.

Thanks!

Alda
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Open the epub in Sigil, then press F8 (Tools-Metatools), and Fill the main Fields listed.
This will sort the 3rd and 4th points.

For the first two, does it say what file is referenced/reached.
You might have mispelt a filename which is causing both problems
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alda View Post
Hello,

Am a bit stuck and hoping someone can help.

I've just finished setting up my eBook in Sigil and have run a validation test. I get four messages. I'm new to this, however, so they don't make a lot of sense. The messages are:

This clearly has something to do with images I've used.

This clearly has something to do with fonts.

I've tried opening the book in Calibre and have run the viewer and it all looks fine, so I'm a bit at a loss as to what these message mean.

Can anyone explain and give me tips on how to fix the problems, assuming that's needed?

Incidentally I need idiot-proof instructions. Pls speak to me as you would to a five-year old.

Thanks!

Alda
point 2 says you refereed to something in the document that does not exist (as written) in the Book Browser (represent the manifest).
Case is important ../images/mypic.jpg is NOT the same as ../Images.mypic.jpg

Splitting a document with relative, same page references (#anchor instead of ../Text/Chapter1.html#anchor will bomb the check). Sigil DOES NOT fix relative(same page) anchors upon splits.. you are going to dig to find where this is

You deleted a (reference to) a text or image even a second CSS, file (in Code View), but it is still listed in the Book Browser (or a spelling error, see item 2. it could be the flip side of the same problem.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Splitting a document with relative, same page references (#anchor instead of ../Text/Chapter1.html#anchor will bomb the check). Sigil DOES NOT fix relative(same page) anchors upon splits.. you are going to dig to find where this is
Make an issue on the tracker about this. Attach a test case.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
Alda
Zealot

Quote:
Open the epub in Sigil, then press F8 (Tools-Metatools), and Fill the main Fields listed.
This will sort the 3rd and 4th points.
Thanks, Perkin! That's fixed.

As for the other two, I probably should have included the whole ref. Here's what it looks like:

Quote:
File: OEBPS/Images/Enska Texta Reikn_fmt.gif, Line: N/A, Message: This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
And then:

Quote:
OEBPS/Images/Enska Texta Reikn_fmt.jpeg, N/A, This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
-- There's an image with the same name, clearly, but different format. Is that the issue, and if so, how do I fix this?

The other two issues are:

Quote:
OEBPS/Styles/Baskerville, N/A, This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.
... and the other is exactly the same, but with a different font name (Rockwell).

Does this make more sense?

Thanks again for the help - truly appreciated!
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

For the Image problem, In code view, search for

Images/Enska Texta Reikn_fmt.gif

and when found alter the gif suffix to jpg.
That should clear up that one.

As for the Font problem, in the Book Browser window, do those two fonts exist in the Fonts subfolder, if they do, look in the CSS files for the fonts and alter their paths from
Styles/Baskerville to Fonts/Baskerville

Edit:
Reading your message again, the fonts look as though they're in the Styles folder, so again llok in CSS files for fonts and change their paths from
Fonts/Baskerville to Styles/Baskerville

Then save, and then reload the epub, that should fix it.

Last edited by Perkin; 01-27-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Make an issue on the tracker about this. Attach a test case.
I will try . The thing, is the damage(?) is done long before I discover it with FC.

All I see is something like:<a href="../Text/#ch_29">Chapter 27</a>
when it should be: <a href="../Text/slide29.html#ch_29">Chapter 27</a>

in all cases, I had done a split and or a rename on the file it was originally a part of. (I suspect the rename can't fix/adjust something (the file.ext) that was never there )

I WILL try and pull a pre-session copy ( I tend to do frequent saves after large successful S+R updates) the next time it happens.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Alda
Zealot

Perkin, thanks so much for the excellent (clear!) instructions.

I've fixed the image problems. (I see now that I'd deleted them from the page but they were still in the image folder.) However, the fonts thing is still an issue. They're not in the fonts folder, and I don't see a path like the one you specify

Quote:
Fonts/Baskerville to Styles/Baskerville
but rather this (and variations thereof):

Quote:
p.x0fyrirsagnir {
font-family: "Rockwell";
line-height: 1.00em;
font-size: 1.50em;
margin-bottom: 0.00em;
margin-top: 0.00em;
text-indent: 0.00em;
margin-right: 0.00em;
margin-left: 0.00em;
text-align: center;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
color: rgb(0,0,0);
}
Are you able to see what's wrong?

Thx again!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
Perkin
Guru

I did mean look for

Fonts/Baskerville

and change it to

Styles/Baskerville

----

Look through the css, both in stylesheets and inline (in the *html files) and see if any of them have

@font-face

defined, and if they have do they have something like

src : url(Baskerville.otf);

If they do copy and paste that line (src : ...) here.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Alda
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post

I did mean look for

Fonts/Baskerville

and change it to

Styles/Baskerville
Yup, I got that.

---

OK, in the Stylesheet there is this:

Quote:
@font-face {
font-family: "Baskerville";
src:local(Baskerville);
}
@font-face {
src:local(Rockwell);
}
That's what you mean, right? - So, what should I do with those lines?

EDIT:

Ah! you mean copy this:

Quote:
src : url(Baskerville.otf);
in place of this:

Quote:
Yes?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Perkin
Guru

Those two src: lines are sort of what's causing the problem, the fonts they are looking for seem to be in the wrong place.

Look in the Book browser window, and unfold the Styles and Fonts folders
Does Baskerville or Rockwell appear in either of those folders

Now if they exist in one of those folders, do one of the following :

------
If they are in the Fonts folder change the line in the Baskerville definition to read

src:url(../Fonts/Baskerville) format(opentype);;

and do the Rockwell definition to read

src:url(../Fonts/Rockwell) format(opentype);;

------

If they are in the Styles folder change the line in the Baskerville definition to read

src:url(../Styles/Baskerville) format(opentype);;

src:url(../Styles/Rockwell) format(opentype);;

------

If the fonts don't appear in either of the folders, then post here and we'll try and see what else we can do.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
Alda
Zealot

There is nothing in the Fonts folder. It doesn't respond at all when I click it.

The Styles folder contains two documents: the page template (page-template.xpgt) and the css template (template.css). There is no mention of either font in the former. However, the css template looks precisely like this:

Quote:
@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}

p.c-meginm-l {
line-height: 1.50em;
font-size: 1.00em;
text-indent: 0.71em;
text-align: justify;
}
p.a-fyrirs-gn-kaflar {
line-height: 1.17em;
font-size: 2.00em;
}
p.x0fyrirsagnir {
line-height: 1.00em;
font-size: 1.50em;
}

h1 { color: #E41B17 }

p.x1-fyrsta-setn {
line-height: 1.50em;
font-size: 1.00em;
text-align: justify;
}
So yes, there is mention of the fonts, but is that what's required?

Incidentally, it would be nice to have these two fonts, but if it's going to be a major hassle I'll just use the default fonts (I presume there are default fonts in Sigil??)
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Perkin
Guru

Right, I think I know what's happened, those @font-face definition are trying to access the EMBEDED fonts which don't exist, what you need to do is either remove the whole of the following lines (so it will use the fonts already on system)

Quote:
@font-face {
}
@font-face {
}
OR to embed the fonts, right click on the Fonts folder in book browser window, and 'Add Existing Items...' , then navigate to your fonts folder and select the Baskerville font, then again for Rockwell font.

As long as the epub will be for your own private use, it should be alright, I'm not sure about copyright on those fonts.

You may need to change the
Quote:
src:local(Baskerville)
change it to
Quote:
src:url(../Fonts/Baskerville.ttf) format(opentype);;

Quote:
src:url(../Fonts/Rockwell.ttf) format(opentype);;
You should then be good
Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can specify fonts without embedding them. Just remove the source line from the CSS. The font specified should be a list with a generic font at the end of the list so that if the desired font is not available then the reader will go down the list looking for a substitute.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Alda
Zealot

Thanks Perkin!

I'm working on the fonts, have installed one but need to get hold of the other. In the worst case I'll just use the default font.

However, because I don't know the f*** I'm doing, I accidentally uploaded Font Book.app into the Fonts folder. For some reason it ended in the Misc folder (?? - the same happened with another file I tried to upload to Fonts) and now I cannot remove it. I left-click, it gives me the option to remove, then asks me if I'm absolutely sure, I click YES, but it doesn't go away.

And when I try to validate the book now, it gives me an error:

Quote:
OEBPS/Misc/Font Book.app. This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
I'm mystified. Anyone???